- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Breast, Cervix and Colorectal Cancer Knowledge among Nurses in Turkey
- Andsoy, Isil Isik (Department of Nursing, School of Health, Karabuk University) ;
- Gul, Asiye (Department of Midwifery, Faculty of Health Science, Istanbul University)
- Published : 2014.03.01
Background: Cancer is one of the most common causes of death in Turkey. Nurses are essential providers of preventive care for patients, especially breast, cervical and colorectal cancer screening as part of routine preventive practice. The aim of this study was to assess knowledge of these cancers among nurses in Karabuk State Hospital. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional and descriptive study was performed from April 1 to July 30, 2013. The study sample consisted of 226 nurses working in Karabuk State Hospital. Results: Mean age of the nurses was
- Tinmouth J, Ritvo P, McGregor SE, et al (2012). Colon Cancer Check Primary Care Invitation Pilot project: family physician perceptions. Can Fam Physician, 58, 570-7.
- Yilmaz D, Bebis H, Ortabag T (2013). Determining the awareness of and compliance with breast cancer screening among Turkish residential women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3281-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3281
- Perry, MA (2011). How can the uptake of cervical cytology screening be improved? Nurs Stand, 16, 33-6.
- Singh E, Seth S, Rani V, Srivastava DK (2012). Awareness of cervical cancer screening among nursing staff in a tertiary institution of rural India. J Gynecol Oncol, 23, 141-6. https://doi.org/10.3802/jgo.2012.23.3.141
- Tastan S, Isik Andsoy I, Iyigun E (2013). Evaluation of the knowledge, behavior and health beliefs of individuals over 50 regarding colorectal cancer screening. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5157-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5157
- Thippeveeranna C, Mohan SS, Singh LR, Singh NN (2013). Knowledge, attitude and practice of the pap smear as a screening procedure among nurses in a tertiary hospital in North Eastern India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 849-52. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.849
- Turkey incidence of cancer (2013) (Turkiye Kanser Insidanslari).
- Udigwe GO (2006). KAP of cervical cancer Screening (Pap Smear). among female nurses in Nnewi, South Eastern Nigeria. Niger J Clin Pract, 9, 40-3.
- WHO World Health Organization (2007). Cervical cancer, human Papillomavirus (HPV) and HPV vaccine: key points for policymakers and health professionals. Available from: HYPERLINK "http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/cancers/RHR_08_14/" www.who.int/ reproductivehealth/publications/cancers/RHR_08_14/ en/index.html.
- WHO World Health Organization (2013). http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs297/en/.
- WHO World Health Statistics (2008). http://www.who.int/whosis/whostat/ENWHS08 Full.pdf.
- Yaren A, Ozkilinc G, Guler A, Oztop I (2008). Awareness of breast and cervical cancer risk factors and screening behaviours among nurses in rural region of Turkey. Eur J Cancer Care, 17, 278-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2007.00856.x
- Karabulutlu O (2013). Evaluation of the Pap smear test status of Turkish women and related factors. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14, 981-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.981
- Golbasi Z, Kutlar Z, Akdeniz H (2007). The effect of education given by nursing students on women' knowledge and practice of breast cancer / breast self-examination in a public training center. J Breast Health, 3, 53-7.
- Hwang H (2013). Colorectal cancer screening among Asian Americans. Asian Pas J Cancer Prev, 14, 4025-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4025
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- KETEM (2013). Cancer Early Diagnosis, Screening and Education Center. http://www.ketem.org/.
- Kozlowska E, Szewczyk MT, Banaszkiewicz Z, et al (2011). Knowledge of symptoms and diagnostic possibilities of cancer diseases. Arch Med Sci, 7, 304-9.
- Lemlem SB, Sinishaw W, Hailu M, Abebe M, Aregay A (2013). Assessment of knowledge of breast cancer and screening methods among nurses in university hospitals in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2011. ISRN Oncol, 6, 1-8.
- Nwanko KC, Aniebve UC, Agwuna KK (2010). Cervical cancer screening among certified nurses in Enugu:Knowledge, attitude and uptake of pap smear test. J College Med, 10, 15-24.
- Odunsanya OO, Tayo OO (2001). Breast cancer knowledge, attitudes and practice among nurses in Lagos. Nigeria Acta Oncol, 40, 844-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/02841860152703472
- Ozmen V (2008). Breast cancer in world and Turkey. J Breast Health, 4, 7-12.
- Ozmen V (2011). Breast cancer screening: current controversies. J Breast Health, 7, 1-4.
- Ozkahraman S, Yildirim B (2012). Knowledge levels of Turkish nurses related to prevention and early diagnosis of cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6105-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6105
- Ertem G (2009). Awareness of cervical cancer risk factors and screening behaviour among nurses in a rural region of Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 735-8.
- Awodele O, Adeyomoye AAA, Awodele DF, et al (2011).. Study on cervical cancer screening amongst Nurses in Lagos University teaching Hospital, Lagos, Nigeria. J Cancer Edu, 26, 497-504. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-010-0187-6
- American Cancer Society. Can cervical cancer be prevented.
- Bekar M, Guler H, Evcili F, Demirel G, Duran O (2013). Determining the knowledge of women and their attitudes regarding gynecological cancer prevention. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6055-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6055
- Eser S, Yakut C, Ozdemir R, et al (2010). Cancer incidence rates in Turkey in 2006: a detailed registry based estimation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1731-9.
- Fotedar V, Seam RK, Gupta MK, et al (2013). Knowledge of risk factors and early detection methods and practices towards breast cancer among nurses in Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 117-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.117
- Abreu ALP, Souza RP, Gimenes F, Consolaro MEL (2012). A review of methods for detect human papillomavirus infection. Virol J, 9, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-422X-9-1
- Al-Naggar RA, Bobryshev YV (2014). Knowledge of colorectal cancer screening among young Malaysians. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1969-74. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1969
- Gencturk N (2013). The status of knowledge and practice of early diagnosis methods for breast cancer by women healthcare professionals. J Breast Health, 9, 5-9.
- Teaching Breast Cancer Screening via Text Messages as Part of Continuing Education for Working Nurses: A Case-control Study vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5607
- Knowledge of Breast Cancer and Breast Self-Examination Practice among Iranian Women in Hamedan, Iran vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6531
- Breast Cancer Awareness at the Community Level among Women in Delhi, India vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5243
- Effects of Nursing Education on Awareness of Risk Factors for Colorectal Cancer vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5763
- Early Diagnosis Behavior in Turkish Women with and without a Family History of Cervical Cancer vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.401
- Breast Cancer Prevention Information Seeking Behavior and Interest on Cell Phone and Text Use: a Cross-sectional Study in Malaysia vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1337
- Effects of Breast Cancer Fatalism on Breast Cancer Awareness among Nursing Students in Turkey vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3565
- Poor Knowledge of Colorectal Cancer in Brunei Darussalam vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3927
- Health Beliefs and Breast Self-Examination among Undergraduate Female Students in Public Universities in Klang Valley, Malaysia vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.4019
- Opportunistic screening actions for breast cancer performed by nurses working in primary health care vol.50, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/S0080-623420160000100002
- Awareness and current knowledge of breast cancer vol.50, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40659-017-0140-9
- Actions of nurses in early detection of breast cancer vol.70, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1590/0034-7167-2016-0155
- Knowledge, attitude, and practice of breast Cancer among nurses in hospitals in Asmara, Eritrea vol.17, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12912-018-0300-4
- Awareness of health sciences students about colorectal cancer risk factors pp.09615423, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.13016