- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Detection of Human Papillomavirus DNA in Routine Cervical Scraping Samples: Use for a National Cervical Cancer Screening Program in a Developing Nation
- Othman, Norodiyah (Department of Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Othman, Nor Hayati (Department of Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia)
- Published : 2014.03.01
Background: Human papillomavirus is a well-established cause of the development of a variety of epithelial lesions in the cervix. However, as yet, incorporation of HPV testing into cervical cancer screening either as an adjunct or stand alone test is limited due to its cost. We therefore here ascertained the presence and type specificity of human papilloma virus (HPV) DNA in routine cervical scrapings. Materials and Methods: Cervical scrapings were collected from women attending clinics for routine Pap smear screening. HPV-DNA was detected by PCR using MY09/11 and GP5+/GP6+ primer sets and genotyping was accomplished by cycle-sequencing. Results: A total of 635 women were recruited into the study with
- Sharifah NA, Seeni A, Nurismah MI, et al (2009). Prevalence of human papillomavirus in abnormal cervical smears in Malaysian patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 303-6.
- Parkin DM, Bray F (2006). Chapter 2: The burden of HPVrelated cancers. Vaccine, 24, 3-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2005.01.101
- Bhatla N, Lal N, Bao YP, et al (2008). A meta-analysis of human papillomavirus type-distribution in women from South Asia: implications for vaccination. Vaccine, 26, 2811-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2008.03.047
- Bosch FX, Castellsague X, de Sanjose S (2008). HPV and cervical cancer: screening or vaccination? Br J Cancer, 98, 15-21. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604146
- National Cancer Registry (NCR), Ministry of Health Malaysia (2011) Malaysia Cancer Statistics Report 2007 - Data and Figure.
- Speich N, Schmitt C, Bollmann R, et al (2004). Human papillomavirus (HPV) study of 2916 cytological samples by PCR and DNA sequencing: genotype spectrum of patients from the West German area. J Med Microbiol, 53, 125-8. https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.05447-0
- Stoler MH, Wright TC, Jr Sharma A, et al (2011). High-risk human papillomavirus testing in women with ASC-US cytology: results from the ATHENA HPV study. Am J Clin Pathol, 135, 468-75. https://doi.org/10.1309/AJCPZ5JY6FCVNMOT
- Vu L, Le H, Luong O, et al (2012). Prevalence of cervical human papillomavirus infection among married women in Hanoi, Vietnam. Asia Pac J Public Health, 24, 385-90. https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539510393727
- WHO/ICO Information Centre on HPV and Cervical Cancer (HPV Information Centre), HPV and cervical cancer statistics in Malaysia. Summary report (2007).
- Castlellsague X, Sanjose Sd, T Aguado KSL, et al (2007). HPV and cervical cancer in the world; 2007 report. Vaccine, 25, 130.
- Burchell AN, Winer RL, Sanjos'e Sd, et al (2006). Chapter 6: Epidemiology and transmission dynamics of genital HPV infection. Vaccine, 24, 52-61.
- Carter JR, Ding Z, Rose BR (2011). HPV infection and cervical disease: A review. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol, 51, 103-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1479-828X.2010.01269.x
- Casalegno JS, Benchaib M, Le Bail Carval K, et al (2011). Human papillomavirus genotype distribution among French women with and without cervical abnormalities. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 114, 116-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2011.01.030
- Clifford G, Franceschi S, Diaz M, et al (2006a). Chapter 3: HPV type-distribution in women with and without cervical neoplastic diseases. Vaccine, 24, 26-34.
- Clifford GM, Goncalves MA, Franceschi S (2006b). Human papillomavirus types among women infected with HIV: a meta-analysis. AIDS, 20, 2337-44. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.aids.0000253361.63578.14
- Domingo EJ, Noviani R, Noor MR, et al (2008). Epidemiology and prevention of cervical cancer in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. Vaccine, 26, 71-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2008.05.039
- Evans MF, Adamson CS, Papillo JL, et al (2006). Distribution of human papillomavirus types in ThinPrep Papanicolaou tests classified according to the Bethesda 2001 terminology and correlations with patient age and biopsy outcomes. Cancer, 106, 1054-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21664
- Giuliano AR, Lazcano-Ponce E, Villa LL, et al (2008). The human papillomavirus infection in men study: human papillomavirus prevalence and type distribution among men residing in Brazil, Mexico, and the United States. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 17, 2036-43. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-08-0151
- Janicek MF, Averette HE (2001). Cervical cancer: prevention, diagnosis, and therapeutics. CA Cancer J Clin, 51, 92-114. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.51.2.92
- Boulanger JC, Sevestre H, Bauville E, et al (2004). Epidemiology of HPV infection. Gynecol Obstet Fertil, 32, 218-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gyobfe.2004.01.013
- Molecular epidemiology and genotype distribution of Human Papillomavirus (HPV) among Arab women in the state of Qatar vol.12, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12967-014-0300-4
- Expression of Toll-like Receptor 9 Increases with Progression of Cervical Neoplasia in Tunisian Women - A Comparative Analysis of Condyloma, Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia and Invasive Carcinoma vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6145
- Development of In-House Multiplex Real Time PCR for Human Papillomavirus Genotyping in Iranian Women with Cervical Cancer and Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6257
- C13orf18 and C1orf166 (MULAN) DNA Genes Methylation are Not Associated with Cervical Cancer and Precancerous Lesions of Human Papillomavirus Genotypes in Iranian Women vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6745
- Population-based Cervical Cancer Screening Using High-risk HPV DNA Test and Liquid-based Cytology in Northern Thailand vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6837
- Type-specific Prevalence of Human Papillomavirus by Cervical Cytology among Women in Brasov, Romania vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6887
- No Detection of 'High-risk' Human Papillomaviruses in a Group of Iranian Women with Breast Cancer vol.15, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.4061
- Human Papillomavirus Genotypes among Females in Mexico: a Study from the Mexican Institute for Social Security vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10061
- Multifaceted Usage of HPV Related Tests and Products in the Management of Cervical Cancer - a Review vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2145
- Prevalence and type distribution of human papillomavirus (HPV) in Malaysian women with and without cervical cancer: an updated estimate vol.38, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1042/BSR20171268