- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Cervical Cytological Data in Albanian Females
- Filipi, Kozeta (Institute of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology and Health Systems) ;
- Xhani, Anila (University Hospital of Obstetrics-Gynecology, Queen Geraldine)
- 발행 : 2014.03.01
Background: Cervical cancer is one of the most common female malignancies with high mortality rates in developing countries. Our purpose was to determine the prevalence of cervical cytological abnormalities by cervical cytology (CC) and the analysis of risk factors in Albanian population. Materials and Methods: A total of 5,416 conventional pap smear tests collected between January 2009 and January 2012 from Tirana University Hospital Obstetrics-Gynecology "Queen Geraldine" were retrospectively analyzed. Results: A total of 258 (4.8%) cases had epithelial abnormalities. The numbers and rates were as follows: atypical squamous cell of undetermined significance (ASCUS; n=150 [2.76%]); atypical glandular cells of undetermined significance (AGUS; n=8 [0.14%]); low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (LSIL; n=87 [1.6%]); high- grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (HSIL; n=10 [0.18%]); and squamous cell carcinoma (SCC; n=3 [0.05%]). Conclusions: The prevalence of cervical cytological abnormality in our study was 4.8%. A larger community-based study may establish the exact prevalence of malignant and premalignant lesions, so as to plan for future screening.
- Vaccarella S1, Lortet Tieulent J, Plummer M, et al (2013). The comparison of ICC trends in different countries offers, therefore, an opportunity to assess the impact of screening efforts set against background changes in ICC risk factors. Eur J Cancer, 49, 3262-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2013.04.024
- WHO (2006). Prevention and control of sexually transmitted infections: draft global strategy.
- Maver PJ, Seme K, Korac T, et al (2013). Cervical cancer screening practices in central and eastern Europe in 2012. Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Panonica Adriat, 22, 7-19.
- Kule K (2002). Knowledge evaluation among Albanian women on risk factors of cervix cancer. J Med, 103.
- Kuo DY, Goldberg GL (2003). Screening of cervical cancer: Where do we go from here? Cancer Invest, 21, 157-61. https://doi.org/10.1081/CNV-120016410
- Morris L, Herold J, Bino S, Yili A, et al (2005). Jackson D, eds. Reproductive Health Survey Albania 2002. Final Report. Atlanta, GA, USA: Division of Reproductive Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (DRH/CDC).
- NCCA National Cancer control Albania. MOH in Albania.
- Pereira CR, Rosa MLG, Vasconcellos GAL, et al (2007). Human papillomavirus prevalence and predictors to cervical cancer among high risk women from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 17, 651-60. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1438.2007.00844.x
- Plummer M, Peto J, Franceschi S (2012). Time since first sexual intercourse and the risk of cervical cancer. Int J Cancer, 130, 2638-44. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.26250
- Salvatore Vaccarella, Joannie Lortet-Tieulent, Martyn Plummer, et al (2013). Worldwide trends in cervical cancer incidence: Impact of screening against changes in disease risk factors.
- Solomon D, Davey D, Kurman R, et al (2002). The 2001 Bethesda system: terminology for reporting results of cervical cytology. JAMA, 287, 2114-9. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.287.16.2114
- The 2011 Albanian Population and Housing Census. INSTAT 2012.
- The European health report 2012: charting the way to well-being WHO Regional Office for Europe 2013.
- Colgan TJ, McLachlin CM, Cotterchio M, et al (2004). Results of the implementation of liquid-based cytolog. Cancer, 102, 362-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20656
- Bhogireddy V, Roston A, Chor J, et al (2014). Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and cancer in women 35 years and older. J Low Genit Tract Dis, 18, 41-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/LGT.0b013e31828e831d
- Bray F, Jemal A, Grey N, et al (2012). Global cancer transitions according to the Human Development Index (2008-2030): a population-based study. Lancet Oncol, 8, 790-801.
- Causes of death in Albania for the year 2010 (according to international classification ICD-9) INSTAT 2010
- Coskun A, Kostu B, Kiran G, Arikan DC, et al (2008). Modified Ferriman-Gallwey hirsutism score and androgen levels in Turkish women. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol, 154, 167-71.
- Evaluation of public health services in south-eastern Europe World Health Organization 2009.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, Forman D, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Ferlaya J, Steliarova-Foucher E, J Lortet-Tieulent, et al (2013). Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in Europe: Estimatesfor 40 countries in 2012. Eur J Cancer, 49, 1374-1403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.12.027
- Filipi K, Tedeschini A, Paolini F, et al (2010). Genital human papillomavirus infection and genotype prevalence among albanian women: a cross-sectional study. J Med Virol, 82, 1192-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.21803
- Hank E, Hoque ME, Zungu L (2013). Cervical precancerous lesions and cancer among patients in the Gynaecology Outpatient Department at a Tertiary Hospital in South Africa. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, , 4903-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4903
- IARC Monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks humans. Human Papillomaviruses. Lyon: IARC; 2005.
- Abdullah LS (2007). Pattern of abnormal pap smears in developing countries: a report from a large referral hospital in Saudi Arabia using the revised 2001 Bethesda system. Ann Saudi Med, 4, 268-72.
- Albania Demographic and Health Survey2008-09.
- Arbyn M, Primic-Zakelj M, Raifu AO, et al (2007). The burden of cervical cancer in south-east Europe at the beginning of the 21st century. Coll Antropol, 2, 7-10.
- Arbyn M, Castellsague X, de Sanjose S, et al (2011) World-wide burden of cervical cancer in 2008. Ann Oncol, 22, 2675-86. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr015
- Bajos N, Bozon M, Beltzer N, et al (2010). Changes in sexual behaviours: from secular trends to public health policies. AIDS, 24, 1185-91 https://doi.org/10.1097/QAD.0b013e328336ad52
- Beerman H, van Dorst EB, Kuenen-Boumeester V, et al (2009). Superior performance of liquid-based versus conventional cytology in a population-based cervical cancer screening program. Gynecol Oncol, 112, 572-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2008.12.012
- Cervical Cancer Gene Therapy by Gene Loaded PEG-PLA Nanomedicine vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4915
- Clinical Significance of Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance in Detecting Preinvasive Cervical Lesions in Post-Menopausal Turkish Women vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6639
- Update knowledge on cervical cancer incidence and prevalence in Asia vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3617