- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Comfort and Anxiety Levels of Women with Early Stage Breast Cancer Who Receive Radiotherapy
- Tuncer, Gamze (Zeynep Kamil Women and Children Diseases Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Yucel, Sebnem Cinar (Department of Fundamentals of Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Ege University)
- Published : 2014.03.01
Background: The aim of this planned research was to determine the comfort and anxiety levels of women with breast cancer receiving radiotherapy. Materials and Methods: This descriptive type study covered patients that applied to the radiation oncology breast polyclinic of our university hospital between January and May 2011. Patient Identification Form, Radiation Therapy Comfort Questionnaire (RTCQ), Spielberger State Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI) were completed and analysed. Results: The mean age of the women who participated in the study was
- Zainal NZ, Nik-Jaafar NR, Baharudin A, Sabki ZA, Ng CG (2013). Prevalence of depression in breast cancer survivors: a systematic review of observational studies. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2649-56. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2649
- Tasci S, Guleser G, Tokmakci M, Eroglu C, Kaplan B (2012). Anxiety levels of women who receive radiation therapy for breast cancer. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 16, 37. https://doi.org/10.1188/12.CJON.S1.37-46
- Turhal NS, Dane F, Sinav H, et al (2010). Anxiety and depression in Turkish breast cancer patients. J BUON, 15, 720-5.
- Yavuzsen T, Karadibak D, Cehreli R, Dirioz M (2012). Effect of group therapy on psychological symptoms and quality of life in Turkish patients with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5593-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5593
- Zainal NZ, Shuib N, Bustam AZ, Sabki ZA, Guan NC (2013). Reliability and validity of the Malay Version of the Breast-Impact of Treatment Scale (MVBITS) in breast cancer women undergoing chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 463-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.463
- Zhu YY, Zhou L, Jiao SC, Xu LZ (2011). Relationship between soy food intake and breast cancer in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2837-40.
- Pan XF, Fei MD, Zhang KY, et al (2013). Psychopathological profile of women with breast cancer based on the symptom checklist-90-R. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 4, 6579-84. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6579
- Malik AA, Kiran T (2013). Psychological problems in breast cancer patients: a review. Chemotherapy, 2, 2.
- Nazik E, Arslan S, Nazik H, et al (2012). Anxiety and symptom assessment in Turkish gynecologic cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3129-33. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3129
- Ozmen V (2013). Breast cancer in Turkey. Turkiye Klinikleri J Gen Surg-Special Topics, 6, 1-6.
- Schleife H, Sachtleben C, Barboza CF, Singer S, Hinz A (2014). Anxiety, depression, and quality of life in German ambulatory breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer, 21, 208-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-012-0378-6
- Serra D, Parris CR, Carper E, et al (2013). Outcomes of guided imagery in patients receiving radiation therapy for breast cancer. Clin J Oncol Nurs, 16, 617-23.
- So WKW, Marsh G, Ling WM, et al (2010). Anxiety, depression and quality of life among Chinese breast cancer patients during adjuvant therapy. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 14, 17-22.
- SPSS (2006). SPSS for Windows Version 15. SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL.
- Stafford L, Judd F, Gibson P, et al (2014). Comparison of the hospital anxiety and depression scale and the center for epidemiological studies depression scale for detecting depression in women with breast or gynecologic cancer. General Hospital Psychiatry, 36, 74-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2013.08.010
- Tanriverdi O, Aydemir NF (2013). Perspectives of medical oncologists regarding music therapy for patients with cancer in Turkey - can musicology be integrated into psychooncology? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6537-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6537
- Karakoyun-Celik O, Gorken I, Sahin S, et al (2010). Depression and anxiety levels in woman under follow-up for breast cancer: relationship to coping with cancerand quality of life. Med Oncol, 27, 108-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-009-9181-4
- Hyphantis T, Almyroudi A, Paika V, et al (2013). Anxiety, depression and defense mechanisms associated with treatment decisional preferences and quality of life in non-metastatic breast cancer: a 1-year prospective study. Psycho-Oncology, 22, 2470-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.3308
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (2008). GLOBOCAN 2008: Breast Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide in 2008. http://www.iarc.fr/en/websites/databases.php.
- Karabacak U, Acaroglu R (2004). The interaction with radiotherapy of comfort supportive nursing care and education in breast cancer patients. I.U. Health Sciences Institute, PhD Thesis, Istanbul, 2004.
- Kim KS, Kwon SH (2007). Comfort and quality of life of cancer patients. Asian Nurs Res, 1, 125-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1976-1317(08)60015-8
- Kim YH, Kim HJ, Ahn SD, Seo YJ, Kim SH (2013). Effects of meditation on anxiety, depression, fatigue, and quality of life of women undergoing radiation therapy for breast cancer. Complement Ther Med, 21, 379-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2013.06.005
- Kolcaba K, Fox C (1999). The effects of guided imagery on comfort of women with early stage breast cancer undergoing radiation therapy. Oncol Nurs Foundation, 26, 67-72.
- Lambert SD, Girgis A, Lecathelinais C, Stacey F (2013). Walking a mile in their shoes: anxiety and depression among partners and caregivers of cancer survivors at 6 and 12 months postdiagnosis. Support Care Cancer, 21, 75-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-012-1495-7
- Liu DG, Wang SS, Peng RJ, et al (2011). Interaction of social support and psychological stress on anxiety and depressive symptoms in breast cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2523-9.
- Dragomir B, Fodoreanu L (2013). Correlations between state anxiety and quality of life in metastatic breast cancer patients. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi, 117, 610-5.
- Carayol M, Bernard P, Boiche J, et al (2013). Psychological effect of exercise in women with breast cancer receiving adjuvant therapy: what is the optimal dose needed? Ann Oncol, 24, 291-300. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mds342
- Dastan NB, Buzlu S (2011). Depression and anxiety levels in early stage Turkish breast cancer patients and relation factors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 137-41.
- den Heijer M, Seynaeve C, Vanheusden K, et al (2011). Psychological distress in women at risk for hereditary breast cancer: the role of familyommunication and perceived social support. Psycho-Oncology, 20, 1317-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1850
- Emilsson S, Svensk AC, Tavelin B, Lindh J (2012). Support group participation during the post-operative radiotherapy period increases levels of coping resources among women with breast cancer. Eur J Cancer Care, 21, 591-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2012.01343.x
- Halkett GK, O'Connor M, Aranda S, et al (2013). Pilot randomised controlled trial of a radiation therapist-led educational intervention for breast cancer patients prior to commencing radiotherapy. Support Care Cancer, 21, 1725-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-013-1719-5
- Henderson VP, Massion AO, Clemow L, et al (2013). A randomized controlled trial of mindfulness-based stress reduction for women with early-stage breast cancer receiving radiotherapy. Integr Cancer Ther, 12, 404-13. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735412473640
- Ho SS, So WK, Leung DY, Lai ET, Chan CW (2013). Anxiety, depression and quality of life in Chinese women with breast cancer during and after treatment: acomparative evaluation. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 17, 877-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2013.04.005
- Alacacioglu A, Yavuzsen T, Dirioz M, Yilmaz U (2009). Quality of life, anxiety and depression in Turkish breast cancer patients and in their husbands. Med Oncol, 26, 415-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-008-9138-z
- Apostolo J, Mendes A, Bath-Hextall F, et al (2013). The use of non-pharmacological nursing interventions on the comfort of cancer patients: a comprehensive systematic review protocol. The JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 11, 2202-4433.
- Apostolo JL, Kolcaba K (2009). The effects of guided imagery on comfort, depression, anxiety, and stress of psychiatric inpatients with depressive disorders. Arch Psychiatr Nurs, 23, 403-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2008.12.003
- Aydemir O, Koroglu E (Ed) (2000). Clinical scales used in psychiatry. State Trait Anxiety Inventory. Ankara, Physicians Publication Union, 138-142
- Can G, Demir M, Aydiner A (2012). Complementary and alternative therapies used by Turkish breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Breast Care, 7, 471-5. https://doi.org/10.1159/000345462
- Iranian Cancer Patient Perceptions of Prognosis and the Relationship to Hope vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6205
- Anxiety and Pain in Surgically Treated Breast Cancer Patients vol.16, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.10.4261
- Relationship Between Socio-Demographic Features, Work-Related Conditions, and Level of Anxiety Among Turkish Primary Health Care Workers vol.63, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1177/2165079915593249
- Quality of life and anxiety in women with breast cancer before and after treatment vol.25, pp.0, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1590/1518-8345.2258.2958
- Intervenção telefônica para manejo da ansiedade de pacientes oncológicos: ensaio clínico randomizado vol.31, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1982-0194201800021
- Which technique of positioning and immobilization is better for breast cancer patients in postmastectomy IMRT, single-pole or double-pole immobilization? vol.20, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/acm2.12506