- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Taxane and Anthracycline Based Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Locally Advanced Breast Cancer : Institutional Experience
- Gogia, Ajay (Department of Medical Oncology, Dr. B. R. A. Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital, All India Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Raina, Vinod (Department of Medical Oncology, Dr. B. R. A. Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital, All India Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Deo, Suryanarayan Vishnu (Surgical Oncology, Dr. B. R. A. Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital, All India Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Shukla, Nootan Kumar (Surgical Oncology, Dr. B. R. A. Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital, All India Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mohanti, Bidhu Kalyan (Radiation Oncology, Dr. B. R. A. Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital, All India Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sharma, Daya Nand (Radiation Oncology, Dr. B. R. A. Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital, All India Institute of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2014.03.01
Background: The aim of this study was to assess the response rates (clinical and pathological ) with docetaxel and epirubicin combination chemotherapy and its effect on outcome. Materials and Methods: We retrospectively analysed locally advanced breast cancer (LABC) patients who received NACT from January 2008 to December 2012 in our tertiary care centre. LABC constituted 37% of all breast cancer cases and 120 patients fulfilled the eligibility criteria. The regimens used for NACT were, six cycles of DEC (docetaxel
- Untch M, Loibl S, Bischoff J, et al (2012). Lapatinib versus trastuzumab in combination with neoadjuvant anthracyclinetaxane-based chemotherapy (GeparQuinto, GBG 44): a randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol, 13, 135-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70397-7
- Sikov WM, Dizon DS, Strenger R, et al (2009). Frequent pathologic complete responses in aggressive stages II to III breast cancers with every-4-week carboplatin and weekly paclitaxel with or without trastuzumab: a Brown University Oncology Group Study. J Clin Oncol, 27, 4693-99. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.21.4163
- Sikov W, Berry DA, Perou CM, et al (2013). Impact of the addition of carboplatin (Cb) and/or bevacizumab (B) to neoadjuvant weekly paclitaxel (P) followed by dose-dense AC on pathologic complete response (pCR) rates in triplenegative breast cancer (TNBC): CALGB 40603 (Alliance). San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium. Abstract, 5-14.
- Untch M, Rezai M, Loibl S, et al (2010). Neoadjuvant treatment with trastuzumab in HER2-positive breast cancer: results from the GeparQuattro study. J Clin Oncol, 28, 2024-31. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.23.8451
- von Minckwitz G, Eidtmann H, Rezai M, et al (2012). Neoadjuvant chemotherapy and bevacizumab for HER2-negative breast cancer. N Engl J Med, 366, 299-309. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1111065
- Von Minckwitz G, Kummel S, Vogel P, et al (2008). Intensified neo-adjuvant chemotherapy in early-responding breast cancer: phase III randomized GeparTrio study. J Natl Cancer Inst, 100, 552-62. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djn089
- Yao X, Hosenpud J, Chitambar CR (2012). A phase ii study of concurrent docetaxel, epirubicin and cyclophosphamide as a neoadjuvant chemotherapy regimen in patients with locally advanced breast cancer. J Cancer, 3, 145-51. https://doi.org/10.7150/jca.3980
- Papademetriou K, Ardavanis A, Kountourakis P (2010). Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for locally advanced breast cancer:Focus on chemotherapy and biological targeted treatments' armamentarium. J Thoracic Disease, 2, 160-8.
- Gupta D, Raina V, Rath GK, et al (2011). Clinical and pathological response rates of docetaxel-based neoadjuvant chemotherapyin locally advanced breast cancer and comparison with anthracycline-based chemotherapies: Eight-year experience from single centre. Indian J Cancer, 48, 410-14. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.92258
- Manoharan N, Tyagi BB, Raina V (2010). Cancer incidences in rural Delhi-2004-05. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 73-7.
- Mathew J, Asgeirsson KS, Agrawal A, et al (2007). Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced primary breast cancers: The Nottingham experience. EJSO, 33, 972-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2007.02.005
- Phua CE, Bustam AZ, Yusof MM, et al (2012). Risk of treatment related death and febrile neutropaenia with taxane-based adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer in a middle income country outside a clinical trial setting. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4623-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4623
- Pierga JY, Delaloge S, Espie M, et al (2010). A multicenter randomized phase II study of sequential epirubicin/cyclophosphamide followed by docetaxel with or without celecoxib or trastuzumab according to HER2 status, as primary chemotherapy for localized invasive breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 122, 429-37. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-010-0939-3
- Raina V, Medhi K, Deo S (2007). Shukla NK, Mohanti BK, Rath GK. Outcome of combined modality treatment of 412 cases of locally advanced breast cancer (LABC): Data from a tertiary cancer center in India. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 106, 1-350
- Rastogi P, Anderson SJ, Bear HD, et al (2008). Preoperative chemo-therapy: updates of National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Protocols B-18 and B-27. J Clin Oncol, 26, 778-85. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.15.0235
- Deo SV, Bhutani M, Shukla NK, et al (2003). Randomized trial comparing neoadjuvant vs adjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer (T4bN0-2M0). J Surg Oncol, 84, 192-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.10323
- Bull JM, Tormey DC, Li SH (1978). A randomised comparative trial of adriamycine versus methotrexate in combinationdrug therapy. Cancer, 41, 1649-57. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197805)41:5<1649::AID-CNCR2820410501>3.0.CO;2-J
- Cortazar P, Zhang L, Untch M, et al (2012). Meta-analysis results from the Collaborative Trials in Neoadjuvant Breast Cancer (CTNeoBC). Cancer Res, 18, 72-93.
- Chopra R(2001).The Indian scene. J Clin Oncol, 19, 106-11.
- Early Breast Cancer Trialists Collaborative Group (1998). Polychemotherapy for early breast cancer: an overview of randomised trials. Lancet, 352, 930-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(98)03301-7
- Gianni L, Eiermann W, Semiglazov V, et al (2010). Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with trastuzumab followed by adjuvant trastuzumab versus neoadjuvant chemotherapy alone, in patients with HER2-positive locally advanced breast cancer (the NOAH trial): a randomised controlled superiority trial with a parallel HER2-negative cohort. Lancet, 375, 377-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61964-4
- Giordano SH (2003). Update on locally advanced breast cancer. The Oncologist, 8, 521-30. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.8-6-521
- Gradishar WJ, Wedam SB, Jahanzeb M, et al (2005). Neoadjuvant docetaxel followed by adjuvant doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide in patients with stage III breast cancer. Ann Oncol, 16, 1297-304. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdi254
- Guarneri V, Frassoldati A, Bottini A, et al (2012). Preoperative chemotherapy plus trastuzumab, lapatinib, or both in human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive operable breast cancer: results of the randomized phase II CHER-LOB study. J Clin Oncol, 30, 1989-99. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.39.0823
- Baltali E, Altundag MK, Onat DA, et al (2002). Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with Taxotere-epirubicin-5-fluorouracil (TEF) in loco regionally advanced breast cancer: A preliminary report. Tumori, 88, 474-7.
- Baselga J, Bradbury I, Eidtmann H, et al (2012). Lapatinib with trastuzumab for HER2-positive early breast cancer (NeoALTTO): a randomised, open-label, multicentre, phase 3 trial. Lancet, 379, 633-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61847-3
- Taxane-Based Regimens as Adjuvant Treatment for Breast Cancer: a Retrospective Study in Egyptian Cancer Patients vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.65
- Efficacy of Dose Dense Doxorubicin and Cyclophosphamide Followed by Paclitaxel versus Conventional Dose Doxorubicin, Cyclophosphamide Followed by Paclitaxel or Docetaxel in Patients with Node-Positive Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1471
- Tumor slice culture system to assess drug response of primary breast cancer vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-016-2119-2
- Effect of Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy on Axillary Lymph Node Positivity and Numbers in Breast Cancer Cases vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1181
- Outcome after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in Asian breast cancer patients vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.985