- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Prevalence and Age, Gender and Geographical Area Distribution of Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinomas in North China from 1985 to 2006
- Feng, Xiao-Shan (Department of Oncology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Henan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Yang, Yan-Tong (Cancer Institute, Henan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Gao, She-Gan (Department of Oncology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Henan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Ru, Yi (Department of Oncology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Henan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Wang, Gong-Ping (Cancer Institute, Henan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Zhou, Bo (Cancer Institute, Henan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Wang, Yu-Feng (Department of Oncology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Henan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Zhang, Peng-Fei (Department of Oncology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Henan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Li, Pu-Yu (Department of Oncology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Henan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Liu, Yong-Xuan (Department of Oncology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Henan University of Science and Technology)
- Published : 2014.03.01
Objective: To establish the prevalence and distribution profile of esophageal squamous cell carcinomas (ESCCs) over a 22-yr period in North China. Methods: Using endoscopy for primary diagnosis and histological analysis for the further confirmation, a total of 74,854 ESCC patients aged 20-89 between January 1985 and December 2006 were investigated to analyze the epidemiological profile including prevalence rates, distribution of age-of-onset, gender and geographical area of ESCC in Luoyang, the highest incidence area of North China. Results: A total of 4092 cases of ESCC were finally diagnosed among 74,854 patients who had their first endoscopies. The prevalence among males was higher than that among females (p<0.01), resulting in an overall male:female OR of 1.2 (95%CI, 1.2-1.3). The prevalence in rural areas was higher than in urban areas (p<0.01), resulting in an overall rural:urban OR of 2.6 (95%CI, 2.4-2.9). The rural:urban ORs and the 95% CI increased continuously from 2.6, 2.3-3.0 to 2.7, 2.2-3.3, respectively, for 4 consecutive periods during the 22-yr study period. Moreover, the median age of onset among females was higher than that among males (p<0.01). For both sexes and in both areas, the prevalence rates declined and the median age of onset rose for 4 consecutive periods in the 22-yrs time frame (p<0.01). Conculsions: These data reveal the epidemiological profile of ESCC in the area of North China, and suggest that urban areas and rural people account for a growing proportion of the ESCC patients although the prevalence of ESCC significantly declined and the median age-of-onset postponed over the 22-yrs period. Moreover, the prevalence status of ESCC in rural areas also underlines the need for public health initiatives aimed at reducing risk factors of this fatal disease.
- Xibib S, Meilan H, et al (2003). Risk factors for oesophageal cancer in Linzhou, China: a case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 4, 119-24.
- van Blankenstein M, Looman CW, Johnston BJ, Caygill CP (2005). Age and sex distribution of the prevalence of Barrett's esophagus found in a primary referral endoscopy center. Am J Gastroenterol, 100, 568-76. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2005.40187.x
- Wang JM, Xu B, Rao JY, et al (2007). Diet habits, alcohol drinking, tobacco smoking, green tea drinking, and the risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in the Chinese population. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 19, 171-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/MEG.0b013e32800ff77a
- Wang X, Fan JC, Wang AR, et al (2013). Epidemiology of esophageal cancer in Yanting - regional report of a national screening programme in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2429-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2429
- Xibin S, Moller H, et al (2002). Residential environment, diet and risk of stomach cancer: a case-control study in Linzhou, China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 3, 167-72.
- Zhang N, Yu C, Wen D, et al (2012). Association of nitrogen compounds in drinking water with incidence of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in Shexian, China. Tohoku J Exp Med, 226, 11-7. https://doi.org/10.1620/tjem.226.11
- Lin J, Zeng R, Cao W, et al (2011). Hot beverage and food intake and esophageal cancer in southern China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2189-92.
- Jung KW, Talley NJ, Romero Y, et al (2011). Epidemiology and natural history of intestinal metaplasia of the gastroesophageal junction and Barrett's esophagus: a population-based study. Am J Gastroenterol, 106, 1447-55, quiz 1456. https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2011.130
- Kamangar F, Chow WH, Abnet CC, et al (2009). Environmental causes of esophageal cancer. Gastroenterol Clin North Am, 38, 27-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gtc.2009.01.004
- Lagergren J, Lagergren P (2010). Oesophageal cancer. BMJ, 341, c6280. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.c6280
- Lin Y, Totsuka Y, He Y, et al (2013). Epidemiology of esophageal cancer in Japan and china. J Epidemiol, 23, 233-42. https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.JE20120162
- Liu SZ, Wang B, Zhang F, et al (2013). Incidence, survival and prevalence of esophageal and gastric cancer in Linzhou city from 2003 to 2009. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6031-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6031
- Parkin DM, Bray FI, Devesa SS (2001). Cancer burden in the year 2000. The global picture. Eur J Cancer, 37 Suppl 8, S4-S66
- Roshandel G, Semnani S, Malekzadeh R (2012). Non-endoscopic screening for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma-a review. MEJDD, 4, 111-124.
- Rubenstein JH, Scheiman JM, Sadeghi S, Whiteman D, Inadomi JM (2011). Esophageal adenocarcinoma incidence in individuals with gastroesophageal reflux: synthesis and estimates from population studies. Am J Gastroenterol, 106, 254-60. https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2010.470
- Song QK, Zhao L, Li J, et al (2013). Adverse effects of preserved vegetables on squamous cell carcinoma of esophagus and precancer lesions in a high risk area. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 659-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.659
- United Nations (2009). World Population Prospects: The 2008 Revision [Online, May 2009].
- Dawsey SM, Fleischer DE, Wang GQ, et al (1998). Mucosal iodine staining improves endoscopic visualization of squamous dysplasia and squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus in Linxian, China. Cancer, 83, 220-231. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19980715)83:2<220::AID-CNCR4>3.0.CO;2-U
- Cheng WH, Kao CY, Hung YS, et al (2012). Validation of a palliative prognostic index to predict life expectancy for terminally ill cancer patients in a hospice consultation setting in Taiwan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2861-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2861
- Dar NA, Shah IA, Bhat GA, (2013). Socioeconomic status and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma risk in Kashmir, India. Cancer Sci, 104, 1231-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/cas.12210
- Das A (2010). Tumors of the esophagus. In: Feldman M, Friedman L, Brandt LJ, eds. Sleisenger and fordtran's gastrointestinal and liver disease: Pathophysiology, diagnosis, management. 9th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier, 745-770
- Devesa SS, Blot WJ, Fraumeni JF Jr (1998). Changing patterns in the incidence of esophageal and gastric carcinoma in the United States. Cancer, 83, 2049-53. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19981115)83:10<2049::AID-CNCR1>3.0.CO;2-2
- Fernandes ML, Seow A, Chan YH, Ho KY (2006). Opposing trends in incidence of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma in a multi-ethnic Asian country. Am J Gastroenterol, 101, 1430-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2006.00570.x
- Guardino JM, Khandwala F, Lopez R, et al (2006). Barrett's esophagus at a tertiary care center: association of age on incidence and prevalence of dysplasia and adenocarcinoma. Am J Gastroenterol, 101, 2187-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2006.00736.x
- Hakami R, Etemadi A, Kamangar F, et al (2013). Cooking Methods and Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma in High-Risk Areas of Iran. Nutr Cancer. 2013 Sep 13, DOI:10.1080/01635581.2013.779384 https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2013.779384
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Alexandropoulou K, van Vlymen J, Reid F, Poullis A, Kang JY (2013). Temporal trends of Barrett's oesophagus and gastrooesophageal reflux and related oesophageal cancer over a 10-year period in England and Wales and associated proton pump inhibitor and H2RA prescriptions: a GPRD study. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 25, 15-21. https://doi.org/10.1097/MEG.0b013e3283595086
- Amani F, Ahari SS, Akhghari L (2013). Epidemiology of esophageal cancer in Ardabil province during 2003-2011. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4177-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4177
- Chen LS, Yen AM, Fraser CG, et al (2013). Impact of faecal haemoglobin concentration on colorectal cancer mortality and all-cause death. BMJ Open, 3, e003740.
- Chen MF, Yang YH, Lai CH, Chen PC, Chen WC (2013). Outcome of patients with esophageal cancer: a nationwide analysis. Ann Surg Oncol, 20, 3023-30. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-013-2935-4
- Upregulation of STK15 in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinomas in a Mongolian Population vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6021
- RANK rs1805034 T>C Polymorphism Is Associated with Susceptibility of Esophageal Cancer in a Chinese Population vol.9, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0101705
- Expression of activated signal transducer and activator of transcription-3 as a predictive and prognostic marker in advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma vol.13, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12957-015-0726-z
- Esophageal Cancer in Brunei Darussalam over a three Decade Period: an Epidemiologic Study of Trends and Differences between Genders and Racial Groups vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.4123
- genes and oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma risk in an Eastern Chinese population vol.20, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jcmm.12750
- HNF1A-AS1 promotes growth and metastasis of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma by sponging miR-214 to upregulate the expression of SOX-4 vol.51, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2017.4034