- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Experiences of Nursing Students in Caring for Pediatric Cancer Patients
- Kostak, Melahat Akgun (Department of Nursing, Faculty of Health Sciences, Trakya University) ;
- Mutlu, Aysel (Adult Intensive Care Unit, Medipol University Hospital) ;
- Bilsel, Aysegul
- Published : 2014.03.01
Background: This study was performed to determine the experiences of nursing students in caring for paediatric cancer patients and their families. Materials and Methods: This qualitative survey was carried out with 14 students studying in the nursing department of the Faculty of Health Sciences of a university in Edirne, Turkey. Data were obtained through focus group interviews and evaluated based on a qualitative content analysis. Results: It was determined that students, for the most part, experienced problems related to communication, sadness, helplessness, fear, anxiety, resentment and anger. In addition, the students were affected most often by effects of the disease and invasive procedures on paediatric cancer patients and their families during the process of caring for them in the oncology clinic. Conclusions: It would be useful to inform nursing students, prior to clinical practice, about the special needs of paediatric cancer patients and families who stay in oncology clinics, and to follow up with appropriate guidance during the clinical practices.
- Tasdelen S, Zaybak A (2013). Determination of the level of anxiety of students of nursing before the first experience in clinic. Florence Nightingale J Nurs, 21, 101-6.
- Warne T, Johansson UB, Papastavrou E, et al (2010). An exploration of the clinical learning experience of nursing students in nine European countries. Nurse Educ Today, 30, 809-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.03.003
- Wijnberg-Williams BJ, Kamps WA, Klip EC, et al (2006). Psychological distress and the impact of social support on fathers and mothers of pediatric cancer patients: Long-term prospective results. J Pediatr Psychol, 31, 785-92.
- Yildiz H, Akansel N (2011). Beginning level nursing students' experiences with cancer patients in their first clinical placement: A qualitative appraisal in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2611-5.
- Mete S, Isbir GG, Tokat MA, et al (2011). An investigation of the views of nursing students about peer education in clinical education. J Res Develop Nurs, 8, 16-25.
- Liang HF, Chiang YC, Chien LY, et al (2008). A comparison of emotional/behavioural problems between Taiwanese children with cancer and healthy controls. J Clin Nurs, 17, 304-11.
- Meraviglia M, McGuire C, Chesley DA (2003). Nurses' needs for education on cancer and end-of-life care. J Contin Educ Nurs, 34, 122-7.
- Melincavage SM (2011). Student nurses' experiences of anxiety in the clinical setting. Nurse Educ Today, 31, 785-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.05.007
- Nau J, Dassen T, Halfens R, Needham I (2007). Nursing students' experiences in managing patient aggression. Nurse Educ Today, 27, 933-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2007.01.007
- Parker V, Giles M, Lantry G, et al (2014). New graduate nurses' experiences in their first year of practice. Nurse Educ Today, 34, 150-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.07.003
- Pearcey P, Draper P (2008). Exploring clinical nursing experiences: Listening to student nurses. Nurse Educ Today, 28, 595-601. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2007.09.007
- Xie J, Ding S, Wang C, et al (2013). An evaluation of nursing students' communication ability during practical clinical training. Nurse Educ Today, 33, 823-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.02.011
- Selwood K, Hemsworth S, Rigg J (2013). Children with cancer: Quality of information for returning to school. Children Nursing and Young People, 25, 14-8.
- Silva FM, Jacob E, Nascimento LC (2010). Impact of childhood cancer on parents' relationships: An integrative review. J Nurs Scholarship, 42, 250-61. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2010.01360.x
- Suikkala A, Leino-Kilpi H (2005). Nursing student-patient relationship: Experiences of students and patients. Nurse Educ Today, 25, 344-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.03.001
- Fotiadou M, Barlow JH, Powell LA, et al (2008). Optimism and psychological well-being among parents of children with cancer: An exploratory study. Psycho Oncol, 17, 401-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1257
- Elcigil A,Yildirim HS (2011). Facilitating factors in clinical education in nursing. DEUHYO, 4, 67-71.
- Erbil N, Kahraman AN, Bostan O (2006). Determination of level of anxiety of student nursing before the first experience in clinic. J Ataturk University Nursing School, 9, 10-6.
- Fayed N, Klassen AF, Dix D, et al (2011). Exploring predictors of optimism among parents of children with cancer. Psycho Oncol, 20, 411-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1743
- Gorostidi XZ, Egilegor XH, Erice MJA, et al (2007). Stress sources in nursing practice. Evolution during nursing training. Nurse Education Today, 27, 777-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2006.10.017
- Hacihasanoglu R, Karakurt P, Yilmaz S, et al (2008). The determination of anxiety levels as to clinic practice of the first class students of the health college's students. J Ataturk University Nursing School, 1, 69-75.
- Jonsen E, Melender HL, Hilli Y (2013). Finnish and Swedish nursing students' experiences of their first clinical practice placement-A qualitative study. Nurse Education Today, 33, 297-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.06.012
- Karagoz S (2003). General view of clinical education in nursing and recommendations for effective clinical education. J Res Develop Nursing, 1, 15-21.
- Klassen AF, Gulati S, Granek L, et al (2011). Understanding the health impact of caregiving. A qualitative study of immigrant parents and single parents of children with cancer. Qual Life Res, 21, 1595-605.
- Li WHC, Chung JOK, Ho EKY (2011). The effectiveness of therapeutic play, using virtual reality computer games in promoting the psychological well-being of children hospitalised with cancer. J Clin Nurs, 20, 2135-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03733.x
- Altiok HO, Ustun B (2013). The stress sources of nursing students. Educational Sciences: Theory and Practice, 13, 760-6.
- Akyuz A, Tosun N, Yildiz D, et al (2007). Reflection of the nurses on their responsibilities and the students' working system during clinical teaching. Kor Hek, 6, 459-64.
- Bayar K, Cadir G, Bayar B (2009). Determination thought and anxiety levels of nursing students intended for clinical practice. TAF Prev Med Bull, 8, 37-42.
- Cernvall M, Carlbring P, Ljungman G, et al (2013). Guided selfhelp as intervention for Traumatic stress in parents of children with cancer: Conceptualization, intervention strategies, and a case study. J Psychosocial Oncol, 31, 13-29. https://doi.org/10.1080/07347332.2012.741095
- Chen JY (2010). Morale and role strain of undergraduate nursing students in a pediatric clinical setting. J Nurs Res, 18, 144-52. https://doi.org/10.1097/JNR.0b013e3181e365a0
- Citak EA, Toruner EK, Gunes NB (2013). Exploring communication difficulties in pediatric hematology: Oncology nurses. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5477-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5477
- Cokluk O, Yilmaz K, Oguz E (2011). A qualitative interview method: Focus group interview. J Theoretical Education Science, 4, 95-107.
- Development of a Family Nursing Model for Prevention of Cancer and Other Noncommunicable Diseases through an Appreciative Inquiry vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10367