- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Clinical Determinants of Weight Loss in Patients with Esophageal Carcinoma During Radiotherapy: a Prospective Longitudinal View
- Jiang, Nan ;
- Zhao, Jin-Zhi ;
- Chen, Xiao-Cen ;
- Li, Li-Ya ;
- Zhang, Li-Juan ;
- Zhao, Yue
- Published : 2014.03.01
Purpose: The prevalence of weight loss in esophageal carcinoma patients is high and associated with impairment of physical function, increased psychological distress and low quality of life. It is not known which factors may contribute to weight loss in patients with esophageal carcinoma during radiotherapy in China. The objective of this study was to identify the associated demographic and clinical factors influencing weight loss. Methods: We evaluated 159 esophageal carcinoma patients between August 2010 and August 2013 in a crosssectional, descriptive study. Patient characteristics, tumor and treatment details, psychological status, adverse effects, and dietary intake were evaluated at baseline and during radiotherapy. A multivariate logistic regression analyss was performed to identify the potential factors leading to weight loss. Results: 64 (40.3%) patients had weight loss
Esophageal carcinoma;weight loss;radiotherapy;energy intake;adverse effects
- Lin CD, Yang ZL, Huang TX (2003). Psychology Dictionary. Shanghai Century Publishing Group, Shanghai Education Publishing House, Shanghai.
- Kato H, Nakajima M (2013). Treatments for esophageal cancer: a review. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 61, 330-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11748-013-0246-0
- Laviano A, Meguid MM, Rossi-Fanelli F (2003). Cancer anorexia: clinical implications, pathogenesis, and therapeutic strategies. Lancet Oncol, 4, 686-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(03)01247-6
- Langius JA, Zandbergen MC, Eerenstein SE, et al (2013). Effect of nutritional interventions on nutritional status, quality of life and mortality in patients with head and neck cancer receiving (chemo)radiotherapy: a systematic review. Clin Nutr, 32, 671-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2013.06.012
- Marin Caro MM, Laviano A, Pichard C (2007). Nutritional intervention and quality of life in adult oncology patients. Clin Nutr, 26, 289-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2007.01.005
- Mitchell AJ, Chan M, Bhatti H, et al (2011). Prevalence of depression, anxiety, and adjustment disorder in oncological, haematological, and palliative-care settings: a meta-analysis of 94 interview-based studies. Lancet Oncol, 12, 160-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70002-X
- Jemal A, Center MM, DeSantis C, et al (2008). Global patterns of cancer incidence and mortality rates and trends. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 1893-907.
- Deans DA, Tan BH, Wigmore SJ, et al (2009). The influence of systemic inflammation, dietary intake and stage of disease on rate of weight loss in patients with gastro-oesophageal cancer. Br J Cancer, 100, 63-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604828
- Hopkinson J, Wright D, Corner J (2006). Exploring the experience of weight loss in people with advanced cancer. J Adv Nurs, 54, 304-12. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03818.x
- Hill A, Kiss N, Hodgson B, et al (2011). Associations between nutritional status, weight loss, radiotherapy treatment toxicity and treatment outcomes in gastrointestinal cancer patients. Clin Nutr, 30, 92-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2010.07.015
- Jager-Wittenaar H, Dijkstra PU, Vissink A, et al (2007). Critical weight loss in head and neck cancer-prevalence and risk factors at diagnosis: an explorative study. Support care cancer, 15, 1045-50. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-006-0212-9
- Khalid U, Spiro A, Baldwin C, et al (2007). Symptoms and weight loss in patients with gastrointestinal and lung cancer at presentation. Support Care Cancer, 15, 39-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-006-0091-0
- Bedenne L, Michel P, Bouche O, et al (2007). Chemoradiation followed by surgery compared with chemoradiation alone in squamous cancer of the esophagus: FFCD 9102. J Clin Oncol, 25, 1160-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.04.7118
- Cox JD, Stetz J, Pajak TF (1995). Toxicity criteria of the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) and the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC). Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 31, 1341-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(95)00060-C
- Khoshnevis N, Ahmadizar F, Alizadeh M, Akbari ME (2012). Nutritional assessment of cancer patients in Tehran, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1621-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1621
- Tian J, Chen ZC, Hang LF (2007). Effects of nutritional and psychological status in gastrointestinal cancer patients on tolerance of treatment. World J Gastroenterol, 13, 4136-40. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v13.i30.4136
- Schneider BJ, Urba SG (2007). Preoperative chemoradiation for the treatment of locoregional esophageal cancer: the standard of care? Semin Radiat Oncol, 17, 45-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semradonc.2006.09.002
- Senesse P, Assenat E, Schneider S, et al (2008). Nutritional support during oncologic treatment of patients with gastrointestinal cancer: who could benefit? Cancer Treat Rev, 34, 568-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2008.03.003
- Shahmoradi N, Kandiah M, Peng LS (2009). Impact of nutritional status on the quality of life of advanced cancer patients in hospice home care. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 1003-09.
- Xie YN, Dai XY (2006). Practical Psychological Tests. China Medical Science and Technology Press, Beijing.
- Thompson SK, Ruszkiewicz AR, Jamieson GG, et al (2008). Improving the accuracy of TNM staging in esophageal cancer: a pathological review of resected specimens. Ann Surg Oncol, 15, 3447-58. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-008-0155-0
- Yavuzsen T, Karadibak D, Cehreli R, et al (2012). Effect of group therapy on psychological symtoms and quality of life in Turkish patients with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5593-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5593
- Zhang M, Binns CW, Lee AH (2005). A quantitative food frequency questionnaire for women in southeast China: development and reproducibility. Asia Pac J Public Health, 17, 29-35. https://doi.org/10.1177/101053950501700108
- Zhang XD, Zhao QY, Fang Y, et al (2013). Perioperative comprehensive supportive care interventions for Chinese patients with esophageal carcinoma: a prospective study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7359-66. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7359
- Chen W, He Y, Zheng R, et al (2013). Esophageal cancer incidence and mortality in China, 2009. J Thorac Dis, 5, 19-26.
- Ravasco P, Monteiro-Grillo I, Vidal PM, Camilo ME (2005). Dietary counseling improves patient outcomes: a prospective, randomized, controlled trial in colorectal cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 23, 1431-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.02.054
- McCreery E, Costello J (2013). Providing nutritional support for patients with cancer cachexia. Int J Palliat Nurs, 19, 32-7. https://doi.org/10.12968/ijpn.2013.19.1.32
- Orrevall Y, Tishelman C, Permert J, Cederholm T (2009). Nutritional support and risk status among cancer patients in palliative home care services. Support Care Cancer, 17, 153-61. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-008-0467-4
- Payne C, Wiffen PJ, Martin S (2012). Interventions for fatigue and weight loss in adults with advanced progressive illness. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 18, 1.
- Seung SK, Smith JW, Molendyk J, et al (2004). Selective dose escalation of chemoradiotherapy for esophageal cancer: role of treatment intensification. Semin Oncol, 31, 13-9.
- Weight Loss Correlates with Macrophage Inhibitory Cytokine-1 Expression and Might Influence Outcome in Patients with Advanced Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6047
- Cachexia in patients with oesophageal cancer vol.13, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1038/nrclinonc.2015.200
- Oral Glutamine Supplementation Reduces Radiotherapy-induced Esophagitis in Lung Cancer Patients vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.53
- Prediction model of critical weight loss in cancer patients during particle therapy pp.1465-3621, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyx145
- The Prediction of Deterioration of Nutritional Status during Chemoradiation Therapy in Patients with Esophageal Cancer vol.70, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2018.1412481
- Enteral Nutrition Support Does Not Improve PNI in Radiotherapy Patients with Locally Advanced Esophageal Cancer pp.1532-7914, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2018.1559939