- Volume 25 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Health Literacy, Health Risk Perception and Health Behavior of Elders
노인의 건강정보이해능력, 건강 관련 위험인식과 건강행위
- Jeong, Jeong Hee (Graduate School, College of Nursing, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Jung Soon (College of Nursing, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2014.02.10
- Accepted : 2014.03.25
- Published : 2014.03.31
Purpose: The aim of this study is to clarify the level of health literacy, health risk perception and health behavior of Korean elders and to determine the impact of their health literacy and health risk perception on their health behavior. Methods: A descriptive correlation study was conducted with 188 elders aged 65 or older in senior welfare centers in Busan. Questionnaires were used to measure levels of health literacy, health risk perception, and health behavior. Descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Kruskal Wallis test, Pearson's correlation, and hierarchical regression were performed. Results: 43.6% of the subjects had low levels of health literacy. There was a negative relation between health literacy and health risk perception, and between health risk perception and health behavior. There was a positive relation between health literacy and health behavior. Health concern, health literacy affected health behavior. Health literacy independently accounted for 24% of health behavior. Health risk perception didn't affect health behavior. Conclusion: Many of the Korean elders had low levels of health literacy and health literacy was independently associated with health behavior. These findings show that interventions for improving health literacy are necessary to enhance health behavior of the elderly.
- Jeong KH, Oh YH, Lee YK, Sohn CK, Park BM, Lee SY, et al. 2011 A study on the status of elderly. Policy Report. Sejong City: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2012 April. Report No.: 11-1352000-000672-12.
- Gu MO, Kim JH, Kim JI, Kim HJ, Kim HS, Oh JJ, et al. A study on the barriers to health behavior in elderly people in Korea. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Nursing. 2003;5(2):117-126.
- Gu MO, Eun Y. Health-promoting behaviors of older adults compared to young and middle-aged adults in Korea. Journal of Gerontological Nursing. 2002;28(5):46-53.
- Cutilli CC. Health literacy in geriatric patients: An integrative review of the literature. Orthopaedic Nursing. 2007;26(1):43-8.
- Billek-Sawhney B, Reicherter EA. Literacy and the older adult: Educational considerations for health professionals. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation. 2005;21(4):275-281. https://doi.org/10.1097/00013614-200510000-00004
- Schloman BF. Health literacy: A key ingredient for managing personal health. The Online Journal of Issues Nursing. 2004; 9(2):6.
- Nielsen-Bohlman L, Panzer AM, Kindig D. Health literacy: A prescription to end confusion. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2004. 331 p.
- Maiman LA, Becker MH. The health belief model: Origins and correlates in psychological theory. Health Education & Behavior. 1974;2(4):336-353.
- Brewer NT, Tzeng JP, Lillie SE, Edwards AS, Peppercorn JM, Rimer BK. Health literacy and cancer risk perception: implications for genomic risk communication. Medical Decision Making: An International Journal of the Society for Medical Decision Making. 2009;29(2):157-166. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0272989X08327111 https://doi.org/10.1177/0272989X08327111
- Macabasco-O'Connell A, DeWalt DA, Broucksou KA, Hawk V, Baker DW, Schillinger D, et al. Relationship between literacy, knowledge, self-care behaviors, and heart failure-related quality of life among patients with heart failure. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2011;26(9):979-986. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11606-011-1668-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-011-1668-y
- Scott TL, Gazmararian JA, Williams MV, Baker DW. Health literacy and preventive health care use among medicare enrollees in a managed care organization. Medical Care. 2002;40 (5):395-404. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-200205000-00005
- Son YJ, Song EK. Impact of health literacy on disease-related knowledge and adherence to self-care in patients with hypertension. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals Nursing. 2012; 19(1):6-15. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.1.006
- Liu T, Xu YJ, Zhang YH, Yan QH, Song XL, Xie HY, et al. Associations between risk perception, spontaneous adaptation behavior to heat waves and heatstroke in guangdong province, China. BMC Public Health. 2013;13(1):913. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-913 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-913
- Park JE, Sohn AR. The influence of media communication on risk perception and behavior related to mad cow disease in South Korea. Osong Public Health and Research Perspectives. 2013;4(4):203-208. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.phrp.2013.06.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrp.2013.06.005
- Kim YH. Relations among fall efficacy, perception of fall risk and fall prevention behavior in the frail elderly at home. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2013;14(7):3383-3389 http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.7.3383 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.7.3383
- Friedman DB, Corwin SJ, Dominick GM, Rose ID. African american men's understanding and perceptions about prostate cancer: Why multiple dimensions of health literacy are important in cancer communication. Journal of Community Health. 2009;34(5):449-460. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10900-009-9167-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-009-9167-3
- Weiss BD, Mays MZ, Martz W, Castro KM, DeWalt DA, Pignone MP, et al. Quick assessment of literacy in primary care: The newest vital sign. Annals of Family Medicine. 2005;3(6): 514-522. https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.405
- Kim JE. Measuring the level of health literacy and influence factors: Targeting the visitors of a university hospital's outpatient clinic. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2011;17(1):27-34.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Notification No. 2012-140 food labelling standard [Internet]. Osong: Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. 2012 [cited 2013 March 05]. Available from: http://www.mfds.go.kr/index.do?mid=687
- Brewer NT, Chapman GB, Gibbons FX, Gerrard M, McCaul KD, Weinstein ND. Meta-analysis of the relationship between risk perception and health behavior: The example of vaccination. Health Psychology. 2007;26(2):136-145. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-622.214.171.124
- Hong KJ, Ju YK, Jun SI, Yoon HJ, You MS. Exploring the possibility of using public institution's health message for measuring health literacy. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion. 2012;29(3):53-61.
- Park JY, June KJ. Influencing factors on functional health literacy among the rural elderly. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2011;22(1):75-85. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.1.75
- Kim SH, Lee EJ. The influence of functional literacy on perceived health status in Korean older adults. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2008;38(2):195-203. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.195
- Lee TW, Kang SJ. Health literacy in the Korean elderly and influencing factors. Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society. 2008;28(4):847-863.
- Seo IS. Health knowledge level and health-promoting behavior of the Elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. 2000;20(2):1-28.
- Braun BL. Knowledge and perception of fall-related risk factors and fall-reduction techniques among community-dwelling elderly individuals. Physical Therapy. 1998;78(12):1262-1276. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/78.12.1262
- Oh HJ, Kim DH. Research on the influential factors in senior citizens' health promotion behaviors. Health and Social Science. 2012;32:177-201.