- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Esophageal/Gastric Cancer Screening in High-risk Populations in Henan Province, China
- Lu, Yu-Fei (Department of Oncology, Shandong University, Department of Radiation Oncology, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute) ;
- Liu, Zhi-Cai (Linzhou Institute of Esophageal Cancer) ;
- Li, Zhong-Hong (Jiyuan cancer hospital) ;
- Ma, Wen-Hao (Huixian People' Hospital) ;
- Wang, Fu-Rang (Department of Tumor Hospital Cancer Prevention Research Office, the Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Zhengzhou University, Henan Cancer Hospital) ;
- Zhang, Ya-Bing (Medical Science Research Institute of Henan Province) ;
- Lu, Jian-Bang (Department of Tumor Hospital Cancer Prevention Research Office, the Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Zhengzhou University, Henan Cancer Hospital)
- Published : 2014.02.01
Objective: To summarize the endoscopic screening findings in high-risk population of esophageal and gastric carcinoma and analyze influential factors related to screening. Methods: In seven selected cities and counties with high incidences of esophageal carcinoma, people at age of 40-69 were set as the target population. Those with gastroscopy contradictions were excluded, and all who were voluntary and willing to comply with the medical requirements were subjected to endoscopic screening and histological examination for esophageal, gastric cardia and gastric carcinoma in accordance with national technical manual for early detection and treatment of cancer. Results: In three years, 36,154 people were screened, and 16,847 (46.60%) cases were found to have precancerous lesions. A total of 875 cases were found to have cancers (2.42%), and among them 739 cases had early stage with an early diagnosis rate is 84.5%. Some 715 patients underwent prompt treatment and the success rate was 81.8%. Conclusions: In a high-risk population of esophageal and gastric carcinoma, it is feasible to implement early detection and treatment by endoscopic screening. Screening can identify potential invasive carcinoma, early stage carcinoma and precancerous lesions, improving efficacy through early detection and treatment. The exploratory analysis of related influential factors will help broad implementation of early detection and treatment for esophageal and gastric carcinoma.
- Aoki K (2006). Early history of cancer epidemiology and prevention in Japan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 170-6.
- Dong ZW (2009). Cancer screening and early diagnosis and treatment manual in China (Trial). People's Health Publishing House, 1st Edition.
- Elliot M. Livstone. Esophageal cancer tumors of the GI tract. Merck Manual, 2012.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: Globocan 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Henan research division of cancer prevention (2012). 2011 Annual report of cancer registration. Henan Hospital of Tumor Press, 33-41, Henan, China.
- Jaffer A. Ajani, James S, et al (2011). Esophageal and esophagogastric junction cancers. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 9, 830-87.
- Kamangar F, Dores GM, Anderson WF (2006). Patterns of cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence across five continents: defining priorities to reduce cancer disparities in different geographic regions of the world. J Clin Oncol, 24, 2137-50. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.05.2308
- Lee YY, Oh DK, Choi KS, et al (2011). The current status of gastric cancer screening in Korea: report on the National Cancer Screening Programme, 2009. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3495-500.
- Lu JB, Liu ZC, Ma WH, et al (2012). Practice and exploration of early diagnosis and treatment in Henan, which is of high incidence of esophageal carcinoma/cardia carcinoma. Chin J Tumor, 21, 828-30.
- Ministry of Health Bureau of Disease Control and Prevention (2011). Technical proposals for early detection and treatment of cancer (2011 edition), People's Health Publishing House, Beijing, China.
- National Cancer Center (2012). China Cancer Registry Annual Report in 2011. Beijing Military Medical Science Press, 194.
- National institute of cancer prevention (2008). 2004 Annual Report of cancer registration, Peking Union Medical College Press, Beijing, China.
- Suh M, Choi KS, Lee YY, et al (2013). Cancer screening in Korea, 2012: results from the Korean national cancer screening survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6459-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6459
- Wang GQ, Hao CQ, Lai SQ, et al (2003). The application and effect of iodine staining in endoscopic screening in region of high incidence of esophageal carcinoma. Chin J Gastroenterology, 20, 377.
- Wang GQ, Liu YY, Hao CQ, et al (2004). The relationship of esophageal mucosa iodine staining and histological changes of superficial esophageal carcinoma and precancerous lesions. Chin J Cancer, 26, 342-4.
- Zhao P, Chen WG, Kong LZ (2012). 2003-2007 cancer incidence and mortality in China. Military Medical Science Press, Beijing, China.
- Zheng RS, Zhang SW, Wu LY, et al (2012). China cancer registry 2008: analysis of incidence and mortality of malignant tumors. ???PLEASE SUPPLY 21, 1-2.
- Commentary: Cancer Screening and Early Diagnosis and Treatment of Upper Digestive Tract in Science and Policy vol.04, pp.03, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12677/ACM.2014.43007
- Which is the Best Chinese Herb Injection Based on the FOLFOX Regimen for Gastric Cancer? A Network Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4795
- Efficacy of Taxane-Based Regimens in a First-line Setting for Recurrent and/or Metastatic Chinese Patients with Esophageal Cancer vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5493
- Gastric Cancer in Brunei Darussalam: Epidemiological Trend Over a 27 Year Period (1986-2012) vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7281
- Anti-Proliferation Effects and Molecular Mechanisms of Action of Tetramethypyrazine on Human SGC-7901 Gastric Carcinoma Cells vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3581
- MicroRNA-106b~25 expressions in tumor tissues and plasma of patients with gastric cancers vol.31, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0243-x
- Massive Endoscopic Screening for Esophageal and Gastric Cancers in a High-Risk Area of China vol.10, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0145097
- Mortality reduction from gastric cancer by endoscopic and radiographic screening vol.106, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/cas.12829
- Risk Factors and Epidemiology of Gastric Cancer in Pakistan vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4821
- Retrospective Study of Adjuvant Chemotherapy Effects on Survival Rate after Three-Field Lymph Node Dissection for Stage IIA Esophageal Cancer vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5169
- Have we Comprehensively Evaluated the Effectiveness of Endoscopic Screening for Gastric Cancer? vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3591
- Esophageal cancer: Risk factors, screening and endoscopic treatment in Western and Eastern countries vol.21, pp.26, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v21.i26.7933
- Value of screening endoscopy in evaluation of esophageal, gastric and colon cancers vol.21, pp.33, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v21.i33.9693
- Prevalence of upper gastrointestinal endoscopic findings in the community: A systematic review of studies in unselected samples of subjects vol.31, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jgh.13308
- Analysis of Endoscopic Screening and Early Treatment of Upper Digestive Tract Carcinoma of 705 Cases in Linzhou of Henan, China 2008-2014 vol.07, pp.02, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12677/WJCR.2017.72009
- Research Progress of HOXA13/HOTTIP Gene and Digestive Tract Cancer vol.08, pp.13, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4236/jct.2017.813104
- The significance of elevated plasma expression of microRNA 106b~25 clusters in gastric cancer vol.12, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0178427
- Strategies for prevention of gastrointestinal cancers in developing countries: a systematic review vol.7, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7189/jogh.07.020405
- A suggested framework for conducting esophageal cancer screening in China vol.19, pp.12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1751-2980.12675