- Volume 15 Issue 3
The ABO blood group has been recently proposed to influence development of oral cancer. The aim ofthis study was to evaluate the association between the type of ABO blood group and oral cancer. In a case-control study, 104 patients with oral cancer were compared with 90 blood donors without cancer as controls. Data regarding the patient demographics, blood groups, Rh status, cancer characteristics and oral habits were also compared between two subgroups of squamous and non-squamous oral cancers. For statistical analysis, Chi-square test, t-student Test and Logistic Regression were used to analyze the relationship between ABO blood groups and oral cancer. The frequency of blood group B was significantly higher in oral cancer patients than controls (32% vs 13%) (p value=0.01), but Rh factor did not show significant difference between cases and controls. According to Logistic Regression, people with blood group B and those older than 50 had 3.5 and 19.4 times elevated risk of developing oral cancer, respectively. The frequency of squamous cell cancer was also significantly higher in men and people older than 50. On the other hand, females, people under 50, and those with blood group B were at 5.6, 2.9 and 4.3 times higher risk of developing non-squamous cell oral cancer,respectively. People with blood group B are at a greater risk of developing oral cancer, and female patients under 50 years of age with blood group B have the highest risk to develop non-squamous cell oral cancer.
Blood group antigens;oral neoplasms;SCC;non-SCC;Iran
- Pourfathollah A, Oody A, Honarkaran N (2004) Geographical distribution of ABO and Rh (D) blood groups among Iranian blood donors in the year 1361(1982) as compared with that of the year 1380 (2001). Sci J Blood Transfus Organ, 1, 11-17
- Sharma G, Choudhary R, Bharti D (2007) Studies showing the relationship between ABO blood groups and major types of cancers. Asian J Exp Sci, 21, 129-32.
- Tyagi SP, Pradhan S, Agarwal P (1965) Blood groups in malignant diseases. J Indian Med Assoc, 45, 645-50.
- Wolpin BM, Chan AT, Hartge P, et al (2009) ABO blood group and the risk of pancreatic cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 101, 424-31. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djp020
- Xie J, Qureshi AA, Li Y, Han J (2010) ABO blood group and incidence of skin cancer. PLoS One, 5, 11972. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0011972
- Yu MC, Yuan JM, Gonindarajan S, Ross RK (2000) Epidemiology of hepatocellular carcinoma. Can J Gastroenterol, 14, 703-9.
- Hakomori S, Handa K (2002) Glycosphingolipid-dependent cross-talk between glycosynapses interfacing tumor cells with their host cells: essential basis to define tumor malignancy. FEBS Lett, 531, 88-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(02)03479-8
- Fukuda M (2002) Roles of mucin-type O-glycans in cell adhesion. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1573, 394-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4165(02)00409-9
- Gao S, Bennett EP, Reibel J, et al (2004) Histo-blood group ABO antigen in oral potentially malignant lesions and squamous cell carcinoma--genotypic and phenotypic characterization. APMIS, 112, 11-20. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0463.2004.apm1120103.x
- Guleria K, Singh HP, Kaur H, Sambzal V (2005) ABO blood groups in gastrointestinal tract and breast carcinoma patients. Anthropologist, 7, 189-92.
- Hakomori S (2003) Structure, organization, and function of glycosphingolipids in membrane. Curr Opin Hematol, 10, 16-24. https://doi.org/10.1097/00062752-200301000-00004
- Jaleel BF, Nagarajappa R (2012) Relationship between ABO blood groups and oral cancer. Indian J Dent Res, 23, 7-10. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.99029
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011) Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jovanovic-Cupic S, Stamenkovic G, Blagojevic J, et al (2008) ABO histo-blood groups and RH systems in relation to malignant tumors of the digestive tract in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Arch Biol Sci Belgrade, 60, 593-99. https://doi.org/10.2298/ABS0804593J
- Mittal VP, Gupta S (1969) The study of ABO blood groups in oral cancer. J Cancer, 6, 34-7.
- Nayak SK (1971) ABO blood groups in different diseases. J Indian Med Assoc, 57, 449-52.
- Pinkston JA, Cole P (1996) ABO blood groups and salivary gland tumors (Alabama, United States). Cancer Causes Control, 7, 572-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00051698
- Biondi C, Campi C, Escovich L, et al (2008) Loss of A, B, and H antigens in oral cancer. Inmunologia, 27, 127-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0213-9626(08)70060-X
- Akhtar K, Mehdi G, Sherwani R, Sofi LA (2011). Relationship between various cancers and ABO blood groups-A Northern India experience. Int J Pathol, 13, ??.
- Amagasa T (2011) Oral premalignant lesions. Int J Clin Onc, 16, 1-4 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10147-010-0158-2
- Baruah BD, Gogoi BC (1977) Blood groups in cancer in Assam, India. Indian J Cancer, 14, 6-9.
- Bryne M, Thrane PS, Lilleng R, Dabelsteen E (1991) Prognostic value of Rhesus blood groups in oral squamous cell carcinomas. Cancer, 68, 2213-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19911115)68:10<2213::AID-CNCR2820681020>3.0.CO;2-9
- Cawson RA, Odell EW (2002) Cawson's Essentials of Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine. London: Churchill Livingstone, 43-55.
- Cerovic R, Juretic M, Balen S, et al (2008) Examining the presence of ABO (H) antigens of blood types in the saliva of patients with oral cancer. Coll Antropol, 32, 509-12.
- Chi AC (2009). Epithelial pathology. In: Neville BW, Damm DD, Allen CM, Bouquot JE, Eds. Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. St. Louis: Saunders, 362-433.
- Dabelsteen E, Gao S (2005) ABO blood-group antigens in oral cancer. J Dent Res, 84, 21-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910508400103
- De Manzoni G, Verlato G, Di Leo A, et al (2001) Rhesus D-phenotype does not provide prognostic information additional to TNM staging in gastric cancer patients. Cancer Detec Preven, 25, 161-5.
- Fazeli Z, Pourhoseingholi MA, Pourhoseingholi A, Vahedi M, Zali MR (2011) Mortality of oral cavity cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2763-6.
- 1. Significance of ABO-Rh Blood Groups in Response and Prognosis in Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy vol.15, pp.9, 2014, doi:10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1415