- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Ethanolic Extract from Derris scandens Benth Mediates Radiosensitzation via Two Distinct Modes of Cell Death in Human Colon Cancer HT-29 Cells
- Hematulin, Arunee (Radiobiology Research Unit, Department of Radiation Technology, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences) ;
- Ingkaninan, Kornkanok (Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, Naresuan University) ;
- Limpeanchob, Nanteetip (Department of Pharmacy Practice, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Naresuan University) ;
- Sagan, Daniel (Radiobiology Research Unit, Department of Radiation Technology, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences)
- Published : 2014.02.28
Enhancing of radioresponsiveness of tumors by using radiosensitizers is a promising approach to increase the efficacy of radiation therapy. Recently, the ethanolic extract of the medicinal plant, Derris scandens Benth has been identified as a potent radiosensitizer of human colon cancer HT29 cells. However, cell death mechanisms underlying radiosensitization activity of D scandens extract have not been identified. Here, we show that treatment of HT-29 cells with D scandens extract in combination with gamma irradiation synergistically sensitizes HT-29 cells to cell lethality by apoptosis and mitotic catastrophe. Furthermore, the extract was found to decrease Erk1/2 activation. These findings suggest that D scandens extract mediates radiosensitization via at least two distinct modes of cell death and silences pro-survival signaling in HT-29 cells.
- Balcer-Kubiczek EK (2012). Apoptosis in radiation therapy: a double-edged sword. Exp Oncol, 34, 277-85.
- Cagnol S, Chambard JC (2010). ERK and cell death: mechanisms of ERK-induced cell death-apoptosis, autophagy and senescence. FEBS J, 277, 2-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-4658.2009.07366.x
- Chendil D, Ranga RS, Meigooni D, Sathishkumar S and Ahmed MM (2004) Curcumin confers radiosensitizing effect in prostate cancer cell line PC-3. Oncogene, 23, 1599-607. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1207284
- Chou TC (2006) Theoretical basis, experimental design, and computerized simulation of synergism and antagonism in drug combination studies. Pharmacol Rev, 58, 621-81. https://doi.org/10.1124/pr.58.3.10
- Chou TC, Talalay P (1984) Quantitative analysis of dose-effect relationships: the combined effects of multiple drugs or enzyme inhibitors. Adv Enzyme Regul, 22, 27-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/0065-2571(84)90007-4
- Chou TC, Matin N (2005) CompuSyn for Drug Combinations: PC Software and User's Guide: A Computer Program for Quantitation of Synergism and Antagonism in Drug Combinations, and the Determination of IC50 and ED50 and LD50 Values, Paramus, (NJ): ComboSyn Inc.
- Coventry BJ, Ashdown ML (2012). Complete clinical responses to cancer therapy caused by multiple divergent approaches: a repeating theme lost in translation. Cancer Manag Res, 4, 137-49.
- De Schutter H, Nuyts S (2009) Radiosensitizing potential of epigenetic anticancer drugs. Anticancer Agents Med Chem, 9, 99-108. https://doi.org/10.2174/187152009787047707
- Ewings KE, Wiggins CM, Cook SJ (2007) Bim and the prosurvival Bcl-2 proteins: opposites attract, ERK repels. Cell Cycle, 6, 2236-40. https://doi.org/10.4161/cc.6.18.4728
- Gavriel H, McArthur G, Sizeland A, Henderson M (2011). Review: mucosal melanoma of the head and neck. Melanoma Res, 21, 257-66. https://doi.org/10.1097/CMR.0b013e3283470ffd
- Girdhani S, Bhosle SM, Thulsidas SA, Kumar A, Mishra KP (2005) Potential of radiosensitizing agents in cancer chemoradiotherapy. J Cancer Res Ther, 1, 129-31. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.19585
- Habr-Gama A, Perez RO, Sao Juliao GP, Proscurshim I, Gama- Rodrigues J (2011). The need for effective radiosentitizing agents: experience in patients with complete pathological response. Anticancer Drugs, 22, 308-10. https://doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0b013e3283428193
- Hall EJ, Giaccia, Amato J (2006) Radiobiology for the radiologist. Philladelphia:Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Hara T, Omura-Minamisawa M, Kang Y, Cheng C, Inoue T (2008) Flavopiridol potentiates the cytotoxic effects of radiation in radioresistant tumor cells in which p53 is mutated or Bcl-2 is overexpressed. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 71, 1485-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2008.03.039
- Hanson PW, Elaimy AL, Lamoreaux WT, Demakas JJ, Fairbanks RK, et al (2012) A concise review of the efficacy of stereotactic radiosurgery in the management of melanoma and renal cell carcinoma brain metastases. World J Surg Oncol, 10, 176 https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-10-176
- Hematulin A IK, Limpeanchob N, Sagan D (2011) Derris scandens Benth extract radiosensitizes HT-29 colon cancer cells. Siriraj Med J, 63, 85-8.
- Hematulin A, Meethang S, Ingkaninan K, Sagan D (2012). Derris scandens Benth extract potentiates radioresistance of Hep-2 laryngeal cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1289-95. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1289
- Hematulin A, Sagan D, Eckardt-Schupp F, Moertl S (2008) NBS1 is required for IGF-1 induced cellular proliferation through the Ras/Raf/MEK/ERK cascade. Cell Signal, 20, 2276-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cellsig.2008.08.017
- Junttila MR, Li SP, Westermarck J (2008) Phosphatase-mediated crosstalk between MAPK signaling pathways in the regulation of cell survival. FASEB J, 22, 954-65. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.06-7859rev
- Katz D, Ito E, Liu FF (2009) On the path to seeking novel radiosensitizers. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 73, 988-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2008.12.002
- Kim KC, Jun HJ, Kim JS, Kim IG (2008) Enhancement of radiation response with combined Ganoderma lucidum and Duchesnea chrysantha extracts in human leukemia HL-60 cells. Int J Mol Med, 21, 489-98.
- Kohno M, Tanimura S, Ozaki K (2011) Targeting the extracellular signal-regulated kinase pathway in cancer therapy. Biol Pharm Bull, 34, 1781-4.. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.34.1781
- Laupattarakasem P, Houghton PJ, Hoult JR (2004) Antiinflammatory isoflavonoids from the stems of Derris scandens. Planta Med, 70,496-501. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2004-827147
- Mannino M, Chalmers AJ (2011) Radioresistance of glioma stem cells: intrinsic characteristic or property of the 'microenvironment-stem cell unit. Mol Oncol, 5, 374-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molonc.2011.05.001
- McGinn CJ, Lawrence TS (2001) Recent advances in the use of radiosensitizing nucleosides. Semin Radiat Oncol 11, 270-80. https://doi.org/10.1053/srao.2001.26002
- Mirzayans R, Andrais B, Scott A, Tessier A, Murray D (2007) A sensitive assay for the evaluation of cytotoxicity and its pharmacologic modulation in human solid tumor-derived cell lines exposed to cancer-therapeutic agents. J Pharm Pharm Sci, 10, 298-311.
- Moding EJ, Kastan MB, Kirsch DG (2013) Strategies for optimizing the response of cancer and normal tissues to radiation. Nat Rev Drug Discov, 12, 526-42 https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd4003
- Park OJ, Shin JI (2004) Proapoptotic potentials of genistein under growth stimulation by estrogen. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 1030, 410-18. https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1329.051
- Pisamai Laupattarakasem BS, Laupattarakasem W (2007). Antimigration of cancer cells by Derris scandens on cholangiocarcinoma cells. Srinagarind Med J, 22, 339-45.
- Rao SA, Srinivas PV, Tiwari AK, Vanka UM, Rao RV, et al (2007). Isolation, characterization and chemobiological quantification of alpha-glucosidase enzyme inhibitory and free radical scavenging constituents from Derris scandens Benth. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci, 855, 166-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2007.04.048
- Rukachaisirikul V, Sukpondma Y, Jansakul C and Taylor WC (2002). Isoflavone glycosides from Derris scandens. Phytochemistry, 60, 827-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(02)00163-2
- Sancar A, Lindsey-Boltz LA, Unsal-Kacmaz K, Linn S (2004). Molecular mechanisms of mammalian DNA repair and the DNA damage checkpoints. Annu Rev Biochem, 73, 39-85. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.biochem.73.011303.073723
- Sandur SK, Deorukhkar A, Pandey MK, Pabon AM, Shentu S, Guha S, et al (2009). Curcumin modulates the radiosensitivity of colorectal cancer cells by suppressing constitutive and inducible NF-kappaB activity. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 75, 534-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2009.06.034
- Schmitt CA (2003). Senescence, apoptosis and therapy--cutting the lifelines of cancer. Nat Rev Cancer, 3, 286-95. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1044
- Slinker BK (1998) The statistics of synergism. J Mol Cell Cardiol, 30, 723-31. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmcc.1998.0655
- Vakifahmetoglu H, Olsson M and Zhivotovsky B (2008). Death through a tragedy: mitotic catastrophe. Cell Death Differ, 15, 1153-62. https://doi.org/10.1038/cdd.2008.47
- Verheij M, Vens C, Van Triest B (2010). Novel therapeutics in combination with radiotherapy to improve cancer treatment: rationale, mechanisms of action and clinical perspective. Drug Resist Updat, 13, 29-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drup.2010.01.002
- Verheij M (2008). Clinical biomarkers imaging for radiotherapyinduced cell death. Cancer Metastasis Rev, 27, 471-80. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10555-008-9131-1
- Vitale I, Galluzzi L, Castedo M, Kroemer G (2011). Mitotic catastrophe: a mechanism for avoiding genomic instability. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol, 12, 385-92. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrm3115
- Tiangburanatham W (1996). Dictionary of Thai Medicinal Plants. Bangkok:Prachumtong Printing
- Weaver BA, Cleveland DW (2005). Decoding the links between mitosis, cancer, and chemotherapy: The mitotic checkpoint, adaptation, and cell death. Cancer Cell, 8, 7-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2005.06.011
- Wilson GD, Bentzen SM, Harari PM (2006). Biologic basis for combining drugs with radiation. Semin Radiat Oncol, 16, 2-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semradonc.2005.08.001
- Anti-Cancer Natural Products Inducing Cross-talk between Apoptosis and Autophagy Mutual Proteins to Regulate Cancer Cell Death: Design of Future Green Anticancer Therapies vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.6175