- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Berberine Hydrochloride Impact on Physiological Processes and Modulation of Twist Levels in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma CNE-1 Cells
- Li, Cai-Hong (Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University) ;
- Wu, Dong-Fang (Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University) ;
- Ding, Hang (Institude of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Guangdong Medical College) ;
- Zhao, Yang (Ear-nose-throat Department of The Second Affiliated Hospital of Guangdong Medical College) ;
- Zhou, Ke-Yuan (Institude of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Guangdong Medical College) ;
- Xu, De-Feng (College of Food Science and Technology, Guangdong Ocean University)
- Published : 2014.02.28
Objective: The main purpose of this work was to investigate the effect of berberine hydrochloride (BH) on the proliferation, apoptosis, migration, and invasion of CNE-1 nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Our results shed light on the functional components of traditional Chinese herbs for potential use in modern medicine. Methods: The CNE-1 cell line was treated with different concentrations of BH and effects on cell viability and proliferation were evaluated using the Cell Counting Kit-8 (CCK-8) assay. Anti-migratory and anti-invasive actions of BH were investigated using wound healing assays and the Millicell Hanging cell culture insert system, respectively. Expression of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT)-related gene twist (Twist) was analyzed by real-time PCR and Western blotting. Apoptosis was estimated with an annexin-V fluorescein (FITC) apoptosis detection kit, as well as with reference to levels of activated caspase-3 of CNE-1 cells before and after treatment with BH utilizing fluorescence spectroscopy. Results: BH was capable of reducing proliferation and viability of CNE-1 cells in a dose- and time-dependent manner, also demonstrating anti-migratory and anti-invasive capacities which correlated with reduction in expression of Twist. Finally, BH was able to induce significant amounts of apoptosis in CNE-1 cells, as demonstrated by an increase in the activity of caspase-3 and in annexin-V staining following treatment. Conclusion: BH extracted from rhizoma coptidis demonstrated an ability to block proliferation, induce apoptosis, and impair the migration and invasion of the CNE-1 cell line Considering these properties, our results suggest that BH could be an important compound for consideration in the treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Wang CL, Zhang S, Xiao JY, et al (2009). Effect of paclitaxel and hyperthermia combination on theproliferation, apoptosis in nasopharygeal carcinoma CNE-1cell lines. China J Modern Med, 19, 844-8.
- Snigdha S, Smith ED, Aleph Prieto G, Cotman CW (2012). Caspase-3 activation as a bifurcation point between plasticity and cell deathCaspase-3 activation as a bifurcation point between plasticity and cell death. Neurosci Bull, 28, 10.1007/ s12264-012-1057-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12264-012-1057-5
- Tamboli RA, Hajri T, Jiang A, et al (2011). Reduction in inflammatory gene expression in skeletal muscle from Rouxen- Y gastric bypass patients randomized to omentectomy. PLoS One, 6, e28577. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0028577
- Tan W, Li Y, Wang Y, et al (2011). Berberine hydrochloride: anticancer activity and nanoparticulate delivery system. Int J Nanomed, 6, 1773-7.
- Wang X, Ling MT, Wong YC, et al (2004). Identification of a novel function of TWIST, a bHLH protein, in the development of acquired taxol resistance in human cancer cells. Oncogene, 23, 474-82. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1207128
- Wen CJ, Wu LX, Fu LJ, et al (2013). Genomic screening for targets regulated by berberine in breast cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6089-94. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6089
- Yang J, Sendurai A (2006). Mani and Robert A. Weinberg. Exploring a new twist on tumor metastasis. Cancer Res, 66, 4549-52. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-3850
- Yang J, Mani SA, Donaher JL, et al (2004). Twist, a master regulator of morphogenesis, plays an essential role in tumor metastasis. Cell, 117, 927-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2004.06.006
- Zhang XM, Leung Steve CL, Wang XH, et al (2007). Antiapoptotic role of TWIST and its association with Akt pathway in mediating taxol resistance in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Int J Cancer, 120, 1891-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.22489
- Mantena SK, Sharma SD, Katiyar SK (2006). Berberine, a natural product, induces G1-phase cell cycle arrest and caspase-3-dependent apoptosis in human prostate carcinoma cells. Mol Cancer Ther, 5, 296-308. https://doi.org/10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-05-0448
- Lin JP, Yang JS, Chung JG, et al (2006). Berberine induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human gastric carcinoma SNU- 5 cell line. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 21-8. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v12.i1.21
- Liu Z, Liu Q, Xu B, et al (2009). Berberine induces p53- dependent cell cycle arrest and apoptosis of human osteosarcoma cells by inflicting DNA damage. Mutation Research, 662, 75-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrfmmm.2008.12.009
- Maestro R, Dei Tos AP, Hamamori Y, et al (1999). Twist is a potential oncogene that inhibits apoptosis. Genes Dev, 13, 2207-17. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.13.17.2207
- Mantena SK, Sharma SD, Katiyar SK (2006). Berberine inhibits growth, induces G1 arrest and apoptosis in human epidermoid carcinoma A431 cells by regulating Cdki-Cdk-cyclin cascade, disruption of mitochondrial membrane potential and cleavage of caspase 3 and PARP. Carcinogenesis, 27, 2018-27. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgl043
- Mitani N, Murakami K, Saiki I, et al (2001). Inhibitory effect of berberine on the mediastinal lymph node metastasis produced by orthotopic implantation of Lewis lung carcinoma. Cancer Lett, 165, 35-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(00)00710-2
- Ong YK, Hengc DM, Tan EH, et al (2003). Design of a prognostic index score for metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Eur J Cancer, 39, 1535-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(03)00310-1
- Segawa Y, Oda Y, Yamamoto H, et al (2009). Close correlation between CXCR4 and VEGF expression and their prognostic implications in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oncology Reports, 21, 1197-202.
- Singh T, Vaid M, Katiyar SK, et al (2011). Berberine, an isoquinoline alkaloid, inhibits melanoma cancer cell migration by reducing the expressions of cyclooxygenase-2, prostaglandin E and prostaglandin E receptors. Carcinogenesis, 32, 86-92. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgq215
- Jantova S, Cipak L, Letasiova S (2007). Berberine induces apoptosis through a mitochondrial/caspase pathway in human promonocytic U937 cells. Toxicology in Vitro, 21, 25-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2006.07.015
- Horikawa T, Furukawa M, Pagano JS, et al (2007). Twist and epithelial-mesenchymal transition are induced by the EBV oncoprotein latent membrane protein 1 and are associated with metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Res, 67, 1970-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-06-3933
- Hsu WH, Wang CJ, Kuo WH, et al (2007). Berberine induces apoptosis in SW620 human colonic carcinoma cells through generation of reactive oxygen species and activation of JNK/ p38 MAPK and FasL. Arch Toxicol, 81, 719-28. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-006-0169-y
- Hyun MS, Hur JM, Woo WH, et al (2010). BBR Induces apoptosis in HepG2 cell through an Akt-ASK1-ROSp38MAPKs- linked cascade. J Cell Biochem, 109, 329-38.
- Kim S, Oh SJ, Lee J, et al (2013). Berberine Suppresses TPAInduced Fibronectin Expression through the Inhibition of VEGF Secretion in Breast Cancer Cells. Cell Physiol Biochem, 5, 1541-50.
- Kuo HP, Way TD, Liu JY, et al (2011). Growth suppression of HER2-overexpressing breast cancer cells by berberine via modulation of the HER2/PI3K/Akt signaling pathway. J Agric Food Chem, 59, 8216-24. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf2012584
- Leptin M (1991). Twist and snail as positive and negative regulators during drosophila mesoderm development. Genes & Dev, 5, 1568-76. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.5.9.1568
- Letasiova S, Jantova S, Muckova M, et al (2006). Berberineantiproliferative activity in vitro and induction of apoptosis/ necrosis of the U937 and B16 cells. Cancer Lett, 239, 254-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2005.08.024
- Lin CC, Yang JS, Chung JG, et al (2007). Berberine induces apoptosis in human HSC-3 oral cancer cells via simultaneous activation of the death receptor-mediated and mitochondrial pathway. Anticancer Res, 27, 3371-8.
- Barnesm RM, Firulli BA. (2009). A twist of insight - the role of Twist-family bHLH factors in development. Int J Dev Biol, 53, 909-24. https://doi.org/10.1387/ijdb.082747rb
- Chen ZF, Behringer RR (1995). Twist is required in head mesenchyme for cranial neural tube morphogenesis. Genes & Dev, 9, 686-99. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.9.6.686
- Eom KS, Hong JM, Youn MJ, et al (2008). Berberine induces G1 arrest and apoptosis in human glioblastoma T98G cells through mitochondrial/caspases pathway. Biol Pharm Bull, 31, 558-62. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.31.558
- Fendri A, Kontos CK, Khabir A, et al (2011). BCL2L12 is a novel biomarker for the prediction of short-term relapse in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Mol Med, 17, 163-71.
- Gao W, Li JZ, Ho WK, et al (2012). Biomarkers for use in monitoring responses of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells to ionizing radiation. Sensors, 12, 8832-46. https://doi.org/10.3390/s120708832
- Ho YT, Yang JS, Chung JG, et al (2009). Berberine suppresses in vitro migration and invasion of human SCC-4 tongue squamous cancer cells through the inhibitions of FAK, IKK, NF-kappaB, u-PA and MMP-2 and -9. Cancer Lett, 279, 155-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2009.01.033
- Hoek K, Rimm DL, Williams KR, et al (2004). Expression profiling reveals novel pathways in the transformation of melanocytes to melanomas. Cancer Res, 64, 5270-82. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-0731
- Glycididazole Sodium Combined with Radiochemotherapy for Locally Advanced Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2641
- p53, Bcl-2 and cox-2 are involved in berberine hydrochloride-induced apoptosis of HeLa229 cells vol.14, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2016.5696
- Berberine inhibits the proliferation of human nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells via an Epstein-Barr virus nuclear antigen 1-dependent mechanism vol.37, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2017.5489
- Berberine sensitizes nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells to radiation through inhibition of Sp1 and EMT vol.37, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2017.5499
- Advances in the study of berberine and its derivatives: a focus on anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor effects in the digestive system vol.38, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/aps.2016.125
- Targeting Twist expression with small molecules vol.8, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1039/C6MD00561F
- A Natural Isoquinoline Alkaloid With Antitumor Activity: Studies of the Biological Activities of Berberine vol.10, pp.1663-9812, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2019.00009