- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Efficacy and Safety of Raltitrexed Combinations with Uracil-Tegafur or Mitomycin C as Salvage Treatment in Advanced Colorectal Cancer Patients: A Multicenter Study of Anatolian Society of Medical Oncology (ASMO)
- Bozkurt, Oktay (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University) ;
- Karaca, Halit (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University) ;
- Ciltas, Aydin (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University) ;
- Kaplan, M. Ali (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Dicle University) ;
- Benekli, Mustafa (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University) ;
- Sevinc, Alper (Department of Medical Oncology, Gaziantep University, Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Demirci, Umut (Ankara Ataturk Research and Teaching Hospital) ;
- Eren, Tulay (Ankara Numune Research and Teaching Hospital) ;
- Kodaz, Hilmi (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Trakya University) ;
- Isikdogan, Abdurrahman (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Dicle University) ;
- Ozkan, Metin (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University) ;
- Buyukberber, Suleyman (Department of Medical Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University)
- Published : 2014.02.28
Background: There is no standard treatment for patients with colorectal cancer (CRC) progressing after irinotecan and oxaliplatin treatment. Here we aimed to retrospectively evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of raltitrexed in combination with oral 5-fluoropyrimidine (uracil tegafur-UFT) or mitomycin C as salvage therapy in mCRC patients. Materials and Methods: A total of 62 patients who had received raltitrexed combined with UFT or mitomycin C were identified between December 2008 and June 2013. They were given raltitrexed 2.6
- Van Cutsem E, Kohne CH, Hitre E, et al (2009). Cetuximab and chemotherapy as initial treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer. N Engl J Med, 360,1408-17. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0805019
- Zalcberg JR, Cunningham D, Van Cutsem E, et al (1996). ZD1694: a novel thymidylate synthase inhibitor with substantial activity in the treatment of patients with advanced colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol, 14, 716-21. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.1918.104.22.1686
- Schwartz GK, Bertino JL, Kemeny N, et al (1998). Interim results of a phase I trial suggest that Tomudex (raltitrexed) may act synergistically with 5-FU in patients with advanced colorectal cancer (CRC). Ann Oncol, 9, 36.
- Seitz JF, Perrier H, Giovannini M, et al (1998). 5-Fluorouracil, high-dose folinic acid and mitomycin C combination chemotherapy in previously treated patients with advanced colorectal carcinoma. J Chemother, 10, 258-65. https://doi.org/10.1179/joc.1922.214.171.1248
- Takiuchi H, Ajani JA (1998). Uracil-tegafur in gastric carcinoma: a comprehensive review. J Clin Oncol, 16, 2877-85. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19126.96.36.19977
- Tournigand C, Andre T, Achille E, et al (2004). FOLFIRI followed by FOLFOX6 or the reverse sequence in advanced colorectal cancer: a randomized GERCOR study. J Clin Oncol, 22, 229-37. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.05.113
- Vormittag L, Kornek GV, Gruhsmann B, et al (2007). UFT/ leucovorin and mitomycin C as salvage treatment in patients with advanced colorectal cancer-a retrospective analysis. Anticancer Drugs, 18, 709-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0b013e3280761a9d
- Rougier P, Van Cutsem E, Bajetta E, et al (1998). Randomised trial of irinotecan versus fluorouracil by continuous infusion after fluorouracil failure in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Lancet, 352, 1407-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(98)03085-2
- Sartorelli AC (1986). The role of mitomycin antibiotics in the chemotherapy of solid tumors. Biochem Pharmacol, 35, 67-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(86)90559-9
- Scheithauer W, Rosen H, Kornek GV, Sebesta C, Depisch D (1993). Randomised comparison of combination chemotherapy plus supportive care with supportive care alone in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. BMJ, 306, 752-5. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.306.6880.752
- Lim DH, Park YS, Park BB, et al (2005). Mitomycin C and capecitabine as third-line chemotherapy in patients with advancedcolorectal cancer: a phase II study. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 56, 10-4.
- Jonker DJ, O'Callaghan CJ, Karapetis CS, et al (2007). Cetuximab for the treatment of colorectal cancer. N Engl J Med, 357, 2040-8. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa071834
- Karaca H, Berk V, İnanc M, et al (2011). Epidemiologic evaluation of the patients admitted to department of medical oncology, erciyes university, medical faculty, between 2006 and 2009. J Hlth Sci, 20, 1-8.
- Kemeny N, Lokich JJ, Anderson N, Ahlgren JD (1993). Recent advances in the treatment of advanced colorectal cancer. Cancer, 71, 9-18. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19930101)71:1<9::AID-CNCR2820710104>3.0.CO;2-Y
- Michalaki V, Gennatas S, Gennatas C (2010). Mitomycin C and UFT/leucovorin as salvage treatment in patients with advanced colorectal cancer. J BUON, 15, 270-3
- Moertel CG (1994). Chemotherapy for colorectal cancer. N Engl J Med, 330, 1136-42. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199404213301608
- Peeters M, Price TJ, Cervantes A, et al (2010). Randomized phase III study of panitumumab with fluorouracil, leucovorin, and irinotecan (FOLFIRI) compared with FOLFIRI alone as second-line treatment in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol, 28, 4706-13. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.27.6055
- Poon MA, O'Connell MJ, Moertel CG, et al (1989). Biochemical modulation of fluorouracil: evidence of significant improvement of survival and quality of life in patients with advanced colorectal carcinoma. J Clin Oncol, 7, 1407-18. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19188.8.131.527
- Rosati G, Rossi A, Germano D, Reggiardo G, Manzione L (2003). Raltitrexed and mitomycin-C as third-line chemotherapy for colorectal cancer after combination regimens including 5-fluorouracil,irinotecan and oxaliplatin a phase II study. Anticancer Res, 23, 2981-5.
- Fuchs CS, Marshall J, Mitchell E, et al (2007). Randomized, controlled trial of irinotecan plus infusional, bolus, or oral fluoropyrimidines in first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: results from the BICC-C Study. J Clin Oncol, 25, 4779-86. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.11.3357
- Douillard J-Y, Hoff PM, Skillings JR, et al (2002). Multicenter phase III study of uracil/tegafur and oral leucovorin vs fluorouracil and leucovorin in patients with previously untreated metastatic colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol, 20, 3605-16. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2002.04.123
- Ferrarotto R, Machado K, Mak MP, et al (2012). A multicenter, multinational analysis of mitomycin C in refractory metastatic colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer, 48, 820-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.01.008
- Francois E, Smith D, Dahan L, et al (2012). Uracil-tegafur/ leucovorin and mitomycin C salvage therapy in patients with advanced colorectal cancer: a phase II study. J Chemother, 24, 207-11. https://doi.org/10.1179/1973947812Y.0000000021
- Grothey A, Sargent D, Goldberg RM, Schmoll HJ (2004). Survival of patients with advanced colorectal cancer improves with the availability of fluorouracil-leucovorin, irinotecan, and oxaliplatin in the course of treatment. J Clin Oncol, 22, 1209-14. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.11.037
- Grothey A, Van Cutsem E, Sobrero A, et al (2013). Regorafenib monotherapy for previously treated metastatic colorectal cancer (CORRECT): an international, multicentre, randomised, plecebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet, 381, 303-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61900-X
- Harstrick A, Mayer S, Hilger R, et al (1998). Combination therapy with infusional 5-FU and Tomudex for patients (pts) with advanced colorectal cancer a phase I study. Ann Oncol, 9, 35.
- Hurwitz H, Fehrenbacher L, Novotny W, et al (2004). Bevacizumab plus irinotecan, fluorouracil, and leucovorin for metastatic colorectal cancer. N Engl J Med, 350, 2335-42. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa032691
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, et al (2010). Cancer Statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 60, 277-300. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20073
- Chester JD, Dent JT, Wilson G, Ride E, Seymour MT (2000). Protracted infusional 5 fluorouracil (5-FU) with bolus mitomycin in 5-FU-resistant colorectal cancer. Ann Oncol, 11, 235-37.
- Alkis N, Demirci U, Benekli M, et al (2011). Mitomycin-C in combination with fluoropyrimidines in the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer after oxaliplatin and irinotecan failure. J BUON, 16, 80-3
- Bitossi R, Sculli CM, Tampellini M, et al (2008). Gemcitabine and protracted 5-fluorouracil infusion as third line chemotherapy in refractorycolorectal cancer patients. Anticancer Res, 28, 3055-60.
- Carmichael J, Popiela T, Radstone D, et al (2002). Randomized comparative study of tegafur/uracil and oral leucovorin vs parenteral fluorouracil and leucovorin in patients with previously untreated metastatic colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol, 20, 3617-27. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2002.10.129
- Cho H, Konishi K, Tsuburaya A (2003). Longterm control of advanced and recurrent gastric cancer (ARGC) by S-1. Gastric Cancer, 6, 24-7.
- Cocconi G, Cunningham D, Van Cutsem E, et al (1998). Open, randomized, multicenter trial of raltitrexed versus ¯uorouracil plus highdose leucovorin in patients with advanced colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol, 16, 2943-52 https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19184.108.40.20643
- Cunningham D (1998). Mature results from three large controlled studies with raltitrexed (Tomudex). Br J Cancer, 77, 15-21.
- Cunningham D, Zalcberg JR, Rath U, et al (1995). 'Tomudex' (ZD1694): results of a randomised trial in advanced colorectal cancer demonstrate efficacy and reduced mucositis and leucopenia. The 'Tomudex' Colorectal Cancer Study Group. Eur J Cancer, 31, 1945-54 https://doi.org/10.1016/0959-8049(95)00502-1
- Clinical Observations on Associations Between the UGT1A1 Genotype and Severe Toxicity of Irinotecan vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3335
- Raltitrexed induces mitochondrial-mediated apoptosis in SGC7901 human gastric cancer cells vol.10, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2014.2438
- 5-fluorouracil and cardiotoxicity: a review vol.10, pp.1758-8359, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1758835918780140