- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Lack of any Association between Season of Diagnosis and Survival of Gastric Cancer Cases in Kayseri, Turkey
- Unal, Dilek (Department of Radiation Oncology, Kayseri Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Oguz, Arzu (Department of Medical Oncology, Kayseri Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Acmaz, Banu (Department of Internal Medicine, Erciyes University Medical School) ;
- Goksu, Sema Sezgin (Department of Medical Oncology, Kayseri Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Arslan, Alaettin (Department of Radiation Oncology, Kayseri Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Eroglu, Celalettin (Department of Radiation Oncology, Erciyes University Medical School)
- Published : 2014.02.28
Background: The influence of season of diagnosis on cancer survival has been an interesting issue for many years. Most studies have shown a possible association between seasonality and survival in some cancers. We aimed to investigate whether there is an association between season of diagnosis and survival in patients with gastric cancer. Materials and Methods: We reviewed retrospectively the files of 279 histologically proven gastric cancer patients. According to diagnosis date, the patients were grouped into 4 seasons of diagnosis groups, spring, summer, autumn, and winter. Results: There was no significant differences when the overall survival rates of the patients were compared according to the patients' season of diagnosis (p: 0.871). Median overall survival rates were 22.0 (14.5-29.5) months for the patients who were diagnosed in spring, 24.0 (12.4-35.6) for summer, 18.0 (9.96-26.0) for autumn and 21.0 (16.3-25.7) for winter. Median disease-free survival rates were 66.0 (44.1-68.1) months for the patients who were diagnosed in spring, 28.0 (17.0-39.0) for summer, 22.0 (0-46.4) for autumn and 23.0 (17.5-28.5) for winter. While the rate was best for the patients diagnosed in spring the differences were not statistically significant (p= 0.382). Conclusions: On the basis of the above results the season was not suggested as contributing to prognosis in gastric cancer cases in Kayseri, Turkey.
- Oguz A, Unal D, Kurtul N, et al (2013). Season of diagnosis and survival of advanced lung cancer cases-any correlation? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4325-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4325
- Lim HS, Roychoudhuri R, Peto J, et al (2006). Cancer survival is dependent on season of diagnosis and sunlight exposure. Int J Cancer, 119, 1530-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.22052
- Mansfield PF. Clinical features, diagnosis, and staging of gastric cancer. http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed 15 Jan 2013.
- Mutlu H, Akca Z, Cihan YB, et al (2013). Is season a prognostic factor in breast cancer? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 743-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.743
- Ordonez-Moran P, Larriba MJ, Pendas-Franco N, et al (2005). Vitamin D and cancer: an update of in vitro and in vivo data. Front Biosci, 10, 2723-49. https://doi.org/10.2741/1731
- Porojnicu AC, Robsahm TE, Ree AH, Moan J (2005). Season of diagnosis is a prognostic factor in Hodgkin's lymphoma: a possible role of sun-induced vitamin D. Br J Cancer, 93, 571-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6602722
- Robsahm TE, Tretli S, Dahlback A, Moan J (2004). Vitamin D3 from sunlight may improve the prognosis of breast-, colonand prostate cancer (Norway). Cancer Causes Control, 15, 149-58. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:CACO.0000019494.34403.09
- Roychoudhuri R, Robinson D, Coupland V, Holmberg L, Moller H (2009). Season of cancer diagnosis exerts distinct effects upon short and long-term survival. Int J Cancer, 124, 2436-41. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24213
- Yasui W, Sentani K, Sakamoto N, et al (2011). Molecular pathology of gastric cancer: research and practice. Pathol Res Pract, 207, 608-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prp.2011.09.006
- Zabaleta J. Multifactorial etiology of gastric cancer (2012). Methods Mol Biol, 863, 411-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-61779-612-8_26
- Abnet CC, Chen Y, Chow WH, et al (2010). Circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D and risk of esophageal and gastric cancer: Cohort Consortium Vitamin D Pooling Project of Rarer Cancers. Am J Epidemiol, 172, 94-106. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwq121
- Apperly F. The relation of solar radiation to cancer mortality in North America (1941). Cancer Res, 1, 191-5.
- Crew KD, Neugut AI. Epidemiology of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 354-62.
- Eroglu C, Orhan O, Karaca H, et al (2013). The effect of being overweight on survival in patients with gastric cancer undergoing adjuvant chemoradiotherapy. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl), 22, 133-40. https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12010
- Herszenyi L, Tulassay Z (2010). Epidemiology of gastrointestinal and liver tumors. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 14, 249-58.
- Kamangar F, Dores GM, Anderson WF (2006). Patterns of cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence across five continents: defining priorities to reduce cancer disparities in different geographic regions of the world. J Clin Oncol, 24, 2137-50. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.05.2308
- Kricker A, Armstrong B (2006). Does sunlight have a beneficial influence on certain cancers? Prog Biophys Mol Biol, 92, 132-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pbiomolbio.2006.02.015
- Kobayashi M, Tsubono Y, Sasazuki S, et al (2002). Vegetables, fruit and risk of gastric cancer in Japan: a 10-year followup of the JPHC Study Cohort I. Int J Cancer, 102, 39-44. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10659
- Lagunova Z, Porojnicu AC, Dahlback A, et al (2007). Prostate cancer survival is dependent on season of diagnosis. Prostate, 67, 1362-70. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.20577
- La Par DJ, Nagji AS, Bhamidipati CM, et al (2011). Seasonal variation influences outcomes following lung cancer resections. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg, 40, 83-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcts.2010.11.023
- Analysis of Laparoscopy-assisted Gastric Cancer Operations Performed by Inexperienced Junior Surgeons vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.5077
- Anti-Proliferation Effects and Molecular Mechanisms of Action of Tetramethypyrazine on Human SGC-7901 Gastric Carcinoma Cells vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3581
- Risk Factors and Epidemiology of Gastric Cancer in Pakistan vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4821