- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Differential microRNA Expression by Solexa Sequencing in the Sera of Ovarian Cancer Patients
- Ji, Ting (Institute of Bioengineering, Zhejiang Sci-Tech University) ;
- Zheng, Zhi-Guo (Zhejiang Cancer Research Institute, Zhejiang Cancer Hospital) ;
- Wang, Feng-Mei (Women's Hospital, School of Medcine, Zhejiang University) ;
- Xu, Li-Jian (Institute of Bioengineering, Zhejiang Sci-Tech University) ;
- Li, Lu-Feng (Institute of Bioengineering, Zhejiang Sci-Tech University) ;
- Cheng, Qi-Hui (Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Hangzhou First People's Hospital) ;
- Guo, Jiang-Feng (Institute of Bioengineering, Zhejiang Sci-Tech University) ;
- Ding, Xian-Feng (Institute of Bioengineering, Zhejiang Sci-Tech University)
- Published : 2014.02.28
MicroRNAs are a class of small noncoding RNA which play important regulatory roles in a variety of cancers. MiRNA-specific expression profiles have been reported for several pathological conditions. In this study, we combined large scale parallel Solexa sequencing to identify 11 up-regulated miRNAs and 19 down-regulated miRNAs with computational techniques in the sera of ovarian cancer patients while using healthy serum as the control. Among the above, four miRNAs (miR-22, miR-93, miR-106b, miR-451) were validated by quantitative RT-PCR and found to be significantly aberrantly expressed in the serum of ovarian cancer patients (P<0.05). There were no significant differences between samples from cancer stage I/II and III/IV. However, the levels of miR-106b (p=0.003) and miR-451 (p=0.007) were significantly different in those patients under and over 51 yearsof age. MiR-451 and miR-93 were also specific when analyzed with reference to different levels of CA125. This study shows that Solexa sequencing provides a promising method for cancer-related miRNA profiling, and selectively expressed miRNAs could be used as potential serum-based biomarkers for ovarian cancer diagnosis.
Ovarian cancer;serum;microRNAs;Solexa sequencing;diagnostic biomarkers
- Creighton C, Reid J, Gunaratne P (2009). Expression profiling of microRNAs by deep sequencing. Brief Bioinform, 10, 490-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/bib/bbp019
- Chen Y, Zhang L, Hao Q (2013). Candidate microRNA biomarkers in human epithelial ovarian cancer: systematic review profiling studies and experimental validation. Cancer Cell Int, 13, 2867-86.
- Corney D, Nikitin A (2008). MicroRNA and ovarian cancer. Histol and Histopathol, 23, 1161-9.
- Cortez M, Calin G (2009). MicroRNA identification in plasma and serum: a new tool to diagnose and monitor diseases. Expert Opin Biol Ther, 9, 703-11. https://doi.org/10.1517/14712590902932889
- Dahiya N, Sherman-Baust C, Wang T, et al (2008). MicroRNA expression and identification of putative miRNA targets in ovarian cancer. PLoS One 18, e2436.
- Fu X, Tian J, Zhang L, et al (2012). Involvement of microRNA-93, a new regulator of PTEN/Akt signaling pathway, in regulation of chemotherapeutic drug cisplatin chemosensitivity in ovarian cancer cells. FEBS Lett, 9, 1279-86.
- Garmire L, Subramaniam S (2012). Evaluation of normalization methods in mammalian microRNA-Seq data, RNA, 18, 1279-88. https://doi.org/10.1261/rna.030916.111
- Iorio M, Croce C (2012). MicroRNA dysregulation in cancer: diagnostics, monitoring and therapeutics. A comprehensive review. EMBO Mol Med, 4, 143-59. https://doi.org/10.1002/emmm.201100209
- Iorio M, Croce C (2012). microRNA involvement in human cancer. Carcinogenesis, 33, 1126-33. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgs140
- Iorio M, Visone R, Di Leva G, Donati V, et al (2007). MicroRNA signatures in human ovarian cancer. Cancer Res, 67, 8699-707. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-07-1936
- Kurman R, Visvanathan K, Roden R, et al (2008). Early detection and treatment of ovarian cancer: shifting from early stage to minimal volume of disease based on a new model of carcinogenesis. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 198, 351-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2008.01.005
- Bartel D (2004). MicroRNAs: genomics, biogenesis, mechanism, and function. Cell, 116, 281-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(04)00045-5
- Brase J, Wuttig D, Kuner R, et al (2010), Serum microRNAs as non-invasive biomarkers for cancer. Mol Cancer, 9, 306-15. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-4598-9-306
- Calin G, Croce C (2006). MicroRNA signatures in human cancers.Nat Rev Cancer 6, 857-66. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1997
- Chen X, Ba Y, Ma L, et al (2008). Characterization of microRNAs in serum: a novel class of biomarkers for diagnosis of cancer and other diseases. Cell Res, 18, 997-1006. https://doi.org/10.1038/cr.2008.282
- Smith, R. Brooks C, et al (2013). Cancer screening in the United States. CA Cancer J Clin, 2, 87-105.
- Xu YZ, Xi QH, Ge WL, Zhang XQ (2013). Identification of serum microrna-21 as a biomarker for early detection and prognosis in human epithelial ovarian cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1057-60. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.1057
- Ries L, Reichman M, Lewis D, et al (2003). Cancer survival and incidence from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) program. Oncologist, 8, 541-52. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.8-6-541
- Rossing M, . Wicklund K, Cushing-Haugen K, et al (2010). Predictive value of symptoms for early detection of ovarian cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 102, 222-229. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djp500
- Sankaranarayanan R, Ferlay J (2006). Worldwide burden of gynaecological cancer: the size of the problem. Best Pract Res Cl OB, 20, 207-25.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2013). Cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 63, 11-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21166
- Van M, Helleman J, Berns E, et al (2010). MicroRNAs in ovarian cancer biology and therapy resistance. Int J Biochem Cell B, 42, 1282-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2010.01.014
- Visintin I, Feng Z, Longton G, et al (2008). Diagnostic markers for early detection of ovarian cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 14, 1065-72. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-1569
- Visone R, Croce C (2008). MicroRNA. Wiley Encyclopedia of Chemical Biology, 5, 1-9.
- Wan, SM, Lv F, et al (2012). Identification of genes and microRNAs involved in ovarian carcinogenesis. Asian Pac J Cancer P, 13, 3997-4000. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3997
- Wu Q, Lu Z, Li H, et al (2011). Next-generation sequencing of microRNAs for breast cancer detection. J Biomed Biotechnology. 2011, 597145-52.
- Wyman S, Parkin R, Mitchell P, et al (2009). Repertoire of microRNAs in epithelial ovarian cancer as determined by next generation sequencing of small RNA cDNA libraries. PLoS One, 4, e5311. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0005311
- Livak K, Schmittgen T (2001), Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2-[Delta][Delta] CT method. Methods 25, 402-8. https://doi.org/10.1006/meth.2001.1262
- Lee R, Ambros V (2001). An extensive class of small RNAs in Caenorhabditis elegans. Science, 294, 862-864. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1065329
- Li J, Liang S, Lu X (2010). Potential role of ezrin and its related microRNA in ovarian cancer invasion and metastasis. Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi, 45, 787-92.
- Liu X, Liu L, Xu Q (2012). MicroRNA as a novel drug target for cancer therapy. Expert Opin Biol Th, 12, 573-80. https://doi.org/10.1517/14712598.2012.671293
- Mitchell P, Parkin R, Kroh E, et al (2008). Circulating microRNAs as stable blood-based markers for cancer detection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 105, 10513-8. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0804549105
- Moxon S, Jing R, Szittya G, et al (2008). Deep sequencing of tomato short RNAs identifies microRNAs targeting genes involved in fruit ripening. Genome Res, 18, 1602-9. https://doi.org/10.1101/gr.080127.108
- Nam E, Yoon H, Kim S, et al (2008), MicroRNA expression profiles in serous ovarian carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 14, 2690-5. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-1731
- Rathjen T, Pais H, Sweetman D, et al (2009). High throughput sequencing of microRNAs in chicken somites. FEBS Lett, 583, 1422-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.febslet.2009.03.048
- Resnick K, Alder H, Hagan J, et al (2009). The detection of differentially expressed microRNAs from the serum of ovarian cancer patients using a novel real-time PCR platform. Gynecol Oncol, 112, 55-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2008.08.036
- No Association between BRCA1 Immunohistochemical Expression and Tumor Grade, Stage or Overall Survival in Platinum-Treated Epithelial Ovarian Cancer Patients vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4275
- Association between a Polymorphism in miR-34b/c and Susceptibility to Cancer - a Meta-analysis vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7251
- Ovarian Cancer: Interplay of Vitamin D Signaling and miRNA Action vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3359
- Quercetin induces the apoptosis of human ovarian carcinoma cells by upregulating the expression of microRNA-145 vol.12, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2015.3679
- MicroRNA-106b functions as an oncogene in renal cell carcinoma by affecting cell proliferation, migration and apoptosis vol.13, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2015.4656
- MicroRNA-124 rs531564 Polymorphism and Cancer Risk: A Meta-analysis vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7905
- Application of Multiplex Nested Methylated Specific PCR in Early Diagnosis of Epithelial Ovarian Cancer vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.3003
- Identification of miR-93 as a suitable miR for normalizing miRNA in plasma of tuberculosis patients vol.19, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jcmm.12535
- Downregulation of miR-22 acts as an unfavorable prognostic biomarker in osteosarcoma vol.36, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-3379-1
- Current status on microRNAs as biomarkers for ovarian cancer vol.124, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/apm.12514
- The Diagnostic and Prognostic Potential of microRNAs in Epithelial Ovarian Carcinoma vol.21, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40291-016-0242-z
- Diagnostic and prognostic potential of serum miR-7, miR-16, miR-25, miR-93, miR-182, miR-376a and miR-429 in ovarian cancer patients vol.113, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2015.340
- New Concepts in Cancer Biomarkers: Circulating miRNAs in Liquid Biopsies vol.17, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17050627
- Normalizers for microRNA quantification in plasma of patients with vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia lesions and vulvar carcinoma vol.39, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1010428317717140