- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Preoperative Serum CA15-3 and CEA Levels and Clinicopathological Parameters in Breast Cancer
- Moazzezy, Neda (Department of Molecular Biology, Pasteur Institute of Iran) ;
- Farahany, Tahereh Zarnoosheh (Department of Molecular Biology, Pasteur Institute of Iran) ;
- Oloomi, Mana (Department of Molecular Biology, Pasteur Institute of Iran) ;
- Bouzari, Saeid (Department of Molecular Biology, Pasteur Institute of Iran)
- Published : 2014.02.28
Background: CEA and CA 15.3 serum tumor markers are currently used in clinical practice for monitoring therapy. The aim of this study was to evaluate serum level of these markers among healthy females and invasive breast carcinoma (IBC) patients and to determine any relationships with clinicopathological factors. Materials and Methods: 60 Iranian females were enrolled in this study, 30 healthy and 30 diagnosed with breast cancer who had not received any preoperative chemotherapy or hormone therapy. Enzyme linked immunosorbent assays were used for the quantitative determination of the cancer associated antigens, CEA and MUC1 (CA15-3). Results: The serological levels of CEA and CA15-3 (
Serum tumor marker;invasive breast carcinoma;clinicopathological factors
- Mousavi SM, Mohaghegghi MA, Mousavi-Jerrahi A, Nahvijou A, Seddigh Z (2006). Burden of breast cancer in Iran: a study of the Tehran population based cancer registry. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 571-4.
- Dunnwald LK, Rossing MA, Li1 CI (2007). Hormone receptor status, tumor characteristics, and prognosis: a prospective cohort of breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res, 9, 1-10.
- Keyhani M, Nasizadeh S, Dehghannejad A (2005). Serum CA15-3 measurements in breast cancer patient before and after mastectomy. Arch Iranian Med, 4, 263-6.
- Martoni A, Zamagni C, Bellanova B, et al (1995). CEA, MCA, CA15.3 and CA 549 and their combinations in expressing and monitoring metastatic breast cancer: a prospective comparative study. Eur J Cancer, 31, 1615-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/0959-8049(95)00340-O
- Mousavi SM, Gouya MM, Ramazani R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- Serdarevic NJ, Mehanovic S (2012). The possible role of tumor antigen CA 15-3, CEA and ferritin in malignant and benign disease. J Health Sci, 2, 138-43. https://doi.org/10.17532/jhsci.2012.52
- Thriveni K, Krishnamoorthy L, Ramaswamy G (2007). Correlation study of carcino embryonic antigen & cancer antigen 15.3 in pretreated female breast cancer patients. Indian J Clin Biochem, 22, 57-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02912882
- Tondini C, Hayes DF, Kufe DW (1989). Circulating tumor markers in breast cancer. Hematol/Onco Clin North Am, 3, 653-74.
- Vukobrat-Bijedic Z, Husic-Selimovic A, Sofic A, et al (2012). The application of current diagnostic protocols of patients with colon cancer in preparation for therapy. Acta Inform Med, 4, 238-41.
- Zare M, Rezaee A, Zakiani SH, Zare A (2012). Study of Iranian breast cancer registration via established online system during 2011. IOS Press, 4, 1197-201.
- Agha-Hosseini F, Mirzaii-Dizgah I, Rahimi A (2009). Correlation of serum and salivary CA15-3 levels in patients with breast cancer. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal, 10, 521-4.
- Atoum M, Nimer N, Abdeldayem S, Nasr H (2012). Relationships among serum CA15-3 tumor marker, TNM staging, and estrogen and progesterone receptor expression in benign and malignant breast lesions. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 3, 857-60.
- Barros AC, Fry W Jr, Nazario AC, Santos MO, Sato MK (1994). Experience with CA 15.3 as a tumor marker in breast cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol, 20, 130-3.
- Begum M, Karim S, Malik A, et al (2012). CA15-3 (Mucin-1) and physiological characteristics of breast cancer from Lahore, Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 5257-61.
- Compton CC, Fielding LP, Burgart LJ, et al (2000). Prognostic factors in colorectal cancer. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 124, 979-94.
- Duffy MJ (1989). New cancer markers. Ann Clin Biochem, 26, 379-87. https://doi.org/10.1177/000456328902600501
- Duffy MJ (1999). CA15.3 and related mucins as circulating markers in breast cancer. Ann Clin Biochem, 36, 579-86. https://doi.org/10.1177/000456329903600503
- Efficient Molecular Imprinting Strategy for Quantitative Targeted Proteomics of Human Transferrin Receptor in Depleted Human Serum vol.87, pp.21, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.5b02633
- Usefulness of Salivary and Serum Auto-antibodies Against Tumor Biomarkers HER2 and MUC1 in Breast Cancer Screening vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.335
- Binding of circulating anti-MUC1 antibody and serum MUC1 antigen in stage IV breast cancer vol.15, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2017.6323
- Analysis of blood markers for early breast cancer diagnosis pp.1699-3055, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12094-017-1731-1
- Modulation of Molecular Biomarker Expression in Response to Chemotherapy in Invasive Ductal Carcinoma vol.2018, pp.2314-6141, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/7154708
- Current biomarkers of canine mammary tumors vol.60, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13028-018-0417-1
- Comparison of breast cancer risk factors among molecular subtypes: A case-only study pp.20457634, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.2012