- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Risk Factors and Costs of Oral Cancer in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Delhi
- Goyal, Sandeep (National Institute of Health and Family Welfare) ;
- Tiwari, Vijay Kumar (National Institute of Health and Family Welfare) ;
- Nair, Kesavan Sreekantan (National Institute of Health and Family Welfare) ;
- Raj, Sherin (National Institute of Health and Family Welfare)
- Published : 2014.02.28
The present study conducted with 100 oral cancer patients at a private tertiary care hospital in Delhidemonstrated that stage III cancer was associated with longer use of tobacco and poor oral hygiene. There was also statistically significant association (p<.05) between consumption of tobacco and alcohol. More than 60% treatment expenditure was on surgery followed by accommodation (9%) and investigations (8%). The effect of tobacco was well known among patients as 76% of the patients knew that common cancer in tobacco chewer is 'oral cancer', 22% of the patients however responded that they did not know which cancer is common in tobacco chewers. 58% said that they learnt about ill effects of tobacco from media while 24% said they learnt from family and friends. Out of 78 tobacco users, 60 (77%) said that they never received help to quit tobacco while 18(23%) have received help to quit.
Oral cancer;carcinoma;tobacco;oral hygiene;stages of cancer;comorbid conditions;treatment cost
- St Guily JL, Borget I, Vainchtock A, Remy V, Takizawa C (2010). Head and Neck Cancers in France: An analysis of the Hospital Medical Information system (PMSI) database. Head Neck Oncol, 2, 22. https://doi.org/10.1186/1758-3284-2-22
- Van Agthoven M, Van Ineveld BM, De Boer MF, et al (2001): The costs of head and neck oncology: primary tumors, recurrent tumours and long-term follow-up. Eur J Cancer, 37, 2204-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(01)00292-1
- Warren CW, Jones NR, Eriksen MP, et al (2006). Patterns of global tobacco use among young people and implications for future chronic disease burden in adults. Lancet, 367, 749-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(06)68192-0
- WHO (2008). International Agency for Research on Cancer. World Cancer Report.
- Zavras A, Andreopoulos N, Katsikeris N, et al (2002). Oral cancer treatment costs in Greece and the effect of advanced disease. BMC Public Health, 2, 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-2-12
- Government of India (2009-10). Annual Report, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi, India.
- Epstein JD, Knight TK, Epstein JB, Bride MA, Nichol MB (2008). Cost of care for early- and late-stage oral and pharyngeal cancer in the California Medicaid population. Head Neck, 30, 178-86. https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.20670
- Funk GF, Hoffman HT, Karnell LH, et al (1998): Cost identification analysis in oral cavity cancer management. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 118, 211-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0194-5998(98)80018-1
- Government of India (2006). India Global Youth Tobacco Survey and Global School Personnel Survey. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi.
- IARC (2004). Tobacco smoke and involuntary smoking. IARC Monogr Eval Carcinog Risks Hum, 83.
- Indian Council of Medical Research (2011). National Cancer Registry Programme, Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi.
- Meropol, NJ, Schrag, D, Smith, TJ, et al (2009). American Society of Clinical Oncology Guidance Statement: The Cost of Cancer Care. J Clin Oncol, 27, 3868-74. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.23.1183
- Morton RP (1997). Laryngeal cancer: Quality of life and costeffectiveness. Head Neck, 19, 243-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0347(199707)19:4<243::AID-HED1>3.0.CO;2-0
- Nair KS, Sherin Raj, Tiwari V K, Piang L K (2013). Cost of treatment for cancer: Experiences of patients in public hospitals in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5049-54. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5049
- National Institute of Health and Family Welfare (2011), Report of Evaluation of Implementation Status of National Cancer Control Programme in India.
- Sheng H, Chen Y, Ge X, et al (2010). Epidemiology and cost analysis for patients with oral cancer in a University Hospital in China. BMC Public Health, 10, 196. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-10-196
- Bidhu K M, Mukhopadhyay A, Das S, et al (2011). Estimating the Economic Burden of Cancer at a Tertiary Public Hospital: A Study at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Discussion Paper 11-09.
- Cancer Treatment Costs in India, available at: (http://india.gov. in/sectors /health_family /national_cancer.php, accessed on 10 May 2013.
- Dinshaw KA, Shastri SS, Patil SS (2004). Cancer control programme in India: challenges for the new millennium. Health Administrator, 17, 10-13.
- Bala DV, Bodiwala IN, Patel DD, Shah PM (2006). Epidemiological determinants of tobacco use in Gujarat State, India. Indian J Community Med, 31, 173-6.
- Stage-Wise Presentation of Non-Metastatic Head and Neck Cancer: an Analysis of Patients from the Kumaon Hills of India vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4957
- Demographic Risk Factors, Affected Anatomical Sites and Clinicopathological Profile for Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma in a North Indian Population vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6755
- Exploratory Study to Evaluate Changes in Serum Lipid Levels as Early Diagnostic and/or Prognostic Indicators for Oral Submucous Fibrosis and Cancer among Gutkha Consumers in India vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6439
- Knowledge and Opinions Regarding Oral Cancer among Yemeni Dental Students vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1765
- An Investigation Into the Disease Profile and Healthcare Costs of Inpatients Treated at a Major Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Center vol.27, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0000000000002895
- Buccal swab, a minimally invasive method for the screening of oral cancer in active smokers vol.1022, pp.1742-6596, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1022/1/012049
- Economic Studies on Non-Communicable Diseases and Injuries in India: A Systematic Review vol.16, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40258-018-0370-1