- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Burdens among Caregivers of Older Adults with Advanced Cancer and Risk Factors
- Chindaprasirt, Jarin (Division of Oncology, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Limpawattana, Panita (Division of Geriatric Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Pakkaratho, Pornvaree (Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Wirasorn, Kosin (Division of Oncology, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Sookprasert, Aumkhae (Division of Oncology, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Kongbunkiat, Kannikar (Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Sawanyawisuth, Kittisak (Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University)
- Published : 2014.02.28
Family caregivers of older cancer patients face many challenges in managing illness. The burden impacts physical, emotional, spiritual, and social health. The objective of this study was to identify burden among caregivers of older patients with advanced cancer, and associated factors. Materials and Methods: Caregivers of older cancer patients were randomly interviewed from March-September 2012. Information on baseline characteristics and caregiver burden using the Zarit Burden Inventory (ZBI) was collected. Descriptive statistics were used to analyze baseline data, with univariate and multiple linear regression to analyze factors associated with higher burden. Results: One hundred and fifty participants were assessed. The mean ZBI was
Caregiving;neoplasms;older adult;social support;Thai caregivers
- Turkoglu N, Kilic D (2012). Effects of care burdens of caregivers of cancer patients on their quality of life. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4141-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.4141
- Northouse L L, Katapodi M C, Schafenacker A M, Weiss D (2012). The impact of caregiving on the psychological well-being of family caregivers and cancer patients. Semin Oncol Nurs, 28, 236-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2012.09.006
- Palos G R, Mendoza T R, Liao K P, et al (2011). Caregiver symptom burden: the risk of caring for an underserved patient with advanced cancer. Cancer, 117, 1070-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25695
- Sharpe L, Butow P, Smith C, McConnell D, Clarke S (2005). The relationship between available support, unmet needs and caregiver burden in patients with advanced cancer and their carers. Psychooncology, 14, 102-14. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.825
- Toonsiri C, Sunsern R, Lawang W (2011). Development of the burden interview for caregivers of patients with chronic illness. J Nurs Educ, 4, 62-75.
- Van Durme T, Macq J, Jeanmart C, Gobert M. (2012). Tools for measuring the impact of informal caregiving of the elderly: A literature review. Int J Nurs Stud, 49, 490-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2011.10.011
- van Ryn M, Sanders S, Kahn K, et al (2011). Objective burden, resources, and other stressors among informal cancer caregivers: a hidden quality issue?. Psychooncology, 20, 44-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1703
- Vitaliano P P, Scanlan J M, Zhang J, et al (2002). A path model of chronic stress, the metabolic syndrome, and coronary heart disease. Psychosom Med, 64, 418-35. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-200205000-00006
- Yusuf A J, Adamu A,Nuhu F T (2011). Caregiver burden among poor caregivers of patients with cancer in an urban African setting. Psychooncology, 20, 902-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1814
- Kiecolt-Glaser J K, Preacher K J, MacCallum R C, et al (2003). Chronic stress and age-related increases in the proinflammatory cytokine IL-6. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 100, 9090-5. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1531903100
- Higginson I J, Gao W (2008). Caregiver assessment of patients with advanced cancer: concordance with patients, effect of burden and positivity. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 6, 42. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-6-42
- Hodges L J, Humphris G M, Macfarlane G. (2005). A metaanalytic investigation of the relationship between the psychological distress of cancer patients and their carers. Soc Sci Med, 60, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2004.04.018
- Katz MH (1999). Multivariable Analysis: a Practical Guide for Clinicians (2nd ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Kim Y, Given B A (2008). Quality of life of family caregivers of cancer survivors: across the trajectory of the illness. Cancer, 112, 2556-68. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23449
- Lamas D, Rosenbaum L (2012). Painful inequities-palliative care in developing countries. N Engl J Med, 366, 199-201. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1113622
- Limpanichkul Y, Magilvy K (2004). Managing caregiving at home: Thai caregivers living in the United States. J Cult Divers, 11, 18-24.
- Limpawattana P, Theeranut A, Chindaprasirt J, Sawanyawisuth K, Pimporm J (2013). Caregivers burden of older adults with chronic illnesses in the community: a cross-sectional study. J Community Health, 38, 40-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-012-9576-6
- Martin M Y, Sanders S, Griffin J M, et al (2012). Racial variation in the cancer caregiving experience: a multisite study of colorectal and lung cancer caregivers. Cancer Nurs, 35, 249-56. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e3182330850
- Mor V, Allen S, Malin M (1994). The psychosocial impact of cancer on older versus younger patients and their families. Cancer, 74, 2118-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19941001)74:7+<2118::AID-CNCR2820741720>3.0.CO;2-N
- Chunharas S (2007). Situations of the Thai elderly 2007pp. (1000). Retrieved from The Foundation of Thai Gerontology Research and Development Institute (TGRI) database
- Casado B, Sacco P (2011). Correlates of caregiver burden among family caregivers of older Korean Americans. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 67, 331-6.
- Chang Y-J, Kwon YC, Lee WJ, et al (2013). Burdens, needs and satisfaction of terminal cancer patients and their caregivers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 209-15. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.209
- Chirawatkul A (2008). Biostatistics for medical sciences (3rd ed.). Khon Kaen: Klang Na Na Wittaya.
- Faison K J, Faria S H, Frank D (1999). Caregivers of chronically ill elderly: perceived burden. J Community Health Nurs, 16, 243-53. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327655JCHN1604_4
- Garlo K, O'Leary J R, Van Ness P H, Fried T R (2010). Burden in caregivers of older adults with advanced illness. J Am Geriatr Soc, 58, 2315-22. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03177.x
- Given B, Wyatt G, Given C, et al (2004). Burden and depression among caregivers of patients with cancer at the end of life. Oncol Nurs Forum, 31, 1105-17. https://doi.org/10.1188/04.ONF.1105-1117
- Given BA, Given CW, Sherwood P (2011). Caregiver burden. In Naeim A, Reuben DB and Ganz PA (Eds.), Management of cancer in the older patient (pp. 241-248). Philadelphia: Elsevier.
- Given B A, Sherwood P, Given C W (2011). Support for caregivers of cancer patients: transition after active treatment. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 20, 2015-21. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-11-0611
- Goldstein N E, Concato J, Fried T R, et al (2004). Factors associated with caregiver burden among caregivers of terminally ill patients with cancer. J Palliat Care, 20, 38-43.
- Hayman J A, Langa K M, Kabeto M U, et al (2001). Estimating the cost of informal caregiving for elderly patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol, 19, 3219-25. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2001.19.13.3219
- Arai Y, Kudo K, Hosokawa T, et al (1997). Reliability and validity of the Japanese version of the Zarit Caregiver Burden interview. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci, 51, 281-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1819.1997.tb03199.x
- Braun M, Mikulincer M, Rydall A, Walsh A, Rodin G (2007). Hidden morbidity in cancer: spouse caregivers. J Clin Oncol, 25, 4829-34. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.10.0909
- Carod Artal F J, Ferreira Coral L, Trizotto D S, Menezes Moreira C (2009). Burden and perceived health status among caregivers of stroke patients. Cerebrovasc Dis, 28, 472-80. https://doi.org/10.1159/000236525
- Experiences of Family Caregivers of Cancer Patients Receiving Chemotherapy vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.5063
- Hospital-based Population of Elderly Cancer Cases in Northeastern Thailand vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.767
- Factors Associated With Higher Caregiver Burden Among Family Caregivers of Elderly Cancer Patients vol.40, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0000000000000445