- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
HOXB7 Predicts Poor Clinical Outcome in Patients with Advanced Esophageal Squamous Cell Cancer
- Long, Qing-Yun (Department of Radiology, Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University) ;
- Zhou, Jun (Department of Radiology, Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University) ;
- Zhang, Xiao-Long (Department of Radiology, Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University) ;
- Cao, Jiang-Hui (Department of Radiology, Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University)
- Published : 2014.02.28
Background: Esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) accounts for most esophageal cancer in Asia, and is the sixth common cause of cancer-related deaths worldwide. Previous studies indicated HOXB7 is overexpressed in ESCC tissues, but data on prognostic value are limited. Methods: A total of 76 advanced ESCC cases were investigated. Immunohistochemistry (IHC) was used to detect the expression levels of HOXB7 and Kaplan-Meier curves and Cox regression models to determine prognostic significance. Stratified analysis was also performed according to lymph node (LN) status. Results: Kaplan-Meier curve analysis indicated that HOXB7 positive patients had significantly shorter overall survival (OS) than HOXB7 negative patients. Multivariate analysis using the Cox proportional hazards model indicated only TNM stage and HOXB7 expression to be independent predictors of overall survival of advanced ESCC patients. HOXB7 indicated poor OS in both lymph node negative (LN-) and lymph node positive (LN+) patients. Conclusion: HOXB7 predicts poor prognosis of advanced ESCC patients and can be applied as an independent prognostic predictor.
- Yuan W, Zhang X, Xu Y, et al (2014). Role of HOXB7 in regulation of progression and metastasis of human lung adenocarcinoma. Mol Carcinog, 53, 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.21947
- Zhang HQ, Wang RB, Yan HJ, et al (2012). Prognostic significance of CYFRA21-1, CEA and hemoglobin in patients with esophageal squamous cancer undergoing concurrent chemoradiotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 199-203. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.199
- Zhao BS, Liu SG, Wang TY, et al (2013). Screening of microRNA in patients with esophageal cancer at same tumor node metastasis stage with different prognoses. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 139-43. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.139
- Nguyen Kovochich A, Arensman M, Lay AR, et al (2013). HOXB7 promotes invasion and predicts survival in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Cancer, 119, 529-39. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.27725
- Jin K, Kong X, Shah T, et al (2012). The HOXB7 protein renders breast cancer cells resistant to tamoxifen through activation of the EGFR pathway. PNAS, 109, 2736-41. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1018859108
- Liao WT, Jiang D, Yuan J, et al (2011). HOXB7 as a prognostic factor and mediator of colorectal cancer progression. Clin Cancer Res, 17, 3569-78. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-10-2533
- Mao WM, Zheng WH, Ling ZQ (2011) Epidemiologic risk factors for esophageal cancer development. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2461-6.
- Novak EM, Linardi C, Metzger M, et al (2010). Differential expression of HOXB7 gene in multiple myeloma and extramedullary multiple myeloma patients. Eur J Haematol, 84, 185-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0609.2009.01366.x
- Rubin E, Wu X, Zhu T, et al (2007). A role for the HOXB7 homeodomain protein in DNA repair. Cancer Res, 67, 1527-35. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-06-4283
- Shah N, and Sukumar S. (2010). The Hox genes and their roles in oncogenesis. Nat Rev Cancer, 10, 361-71. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc2826
- Siege R, Naishadham D, and Jemal A. (2013). Cancer statistics, 2013. CA Cancer J Clin, 63, 11-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21166
- Srebrow A, Friedmann Y, Ravanpay A, Daniel CW, Bissell MJ (1998). Expression of Hoxa-1 and Hoxb-7 is regulated by extracellular matrix-dependent signals in mammary epithelial cells. J Cell Biochem, 69, 377-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4644(19980615)69:4<377::AID-JCB1>3.0.CO;2-K
- Xie X, Zhang SS, Wen J, et al (2013). Prognostic value of HOXB7 mRNA expression in human oesophageal squamous cell cancer. Biomarkers, 18, 297-303. https://doi.org/10.3109/1354750X.2013.773380
- Yamashita T, Tazawa S, Yawei Z, et al (2006). Suppression of invasive characteristics by antisense introduction of overexpressed HOX genes in ovarian cancer cells. Int J Oncol, 28, 931-38.
- De Souza Setubal Destro MF, Bitu CC, et al (2010). Overexpression of HOXB7 homeobox gene in oral cancer induces cellular proliferation and is associated with poor prognosis. Int J Oncol, 36, 141-9.
- Chang CP, de Vivo I, Cleary ML (1997). The Hox cooperativity motif of the chimeric oncoprotein E2a-Pbx1 is necessary and sufficient for oncogenesis. Mol Cell Biol, 17, 81-8. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.17.1.81
- Cillo C, Schiavo G, Cantile M, et al (2011). The HOX gene network in hepatocellular carcinoma. Int J Cancer, 129, 2577-87. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25941
- Corsetti MT, Levi G, Lancia F, et al (1995). Nucleolar localisation of three Hox homeoproteins. J Cell Sci, 108, 187-93.
- di Pietro M, Lao-Sirieix P, Boyle S, et al (2012). Evidence for a functional role of epigenetically regulated midcluster HOXB genes in the development of Barrett esophagus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 109, 9077-82. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1116933109
- Gotz W, Theuring F, Schachenmayr W, et al (1992). Midline brain tumors in MSV-SV 40-transgenic mice originate from the pineal organ. Acta Neuropathol, 83, 308-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00296794
- Gu ZD, Shen LY, Wang H, et al (2009). HOXA13 Promotes Cancer Cell Growth and Predicts Poor Survival of Patients with Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Cancer Res, 69, 4969-73. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-08-4546
- How C, Hui AB, Alajez NM, et al (2013). MicroRNA-196b regulates the homeobox B7-vascular endothelial growth factor axis in cervical cancer. PLoS One, 8, e67846. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0067846
- Inamori K, Takeshita K, Chiba S, Yazaki Y, and Hirai H (1993). Identification of homeobox genes expressed in human T-lymphocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 196, 203-8. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1993.2235
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Braig S, Mueller DW, Rothhammer T, Bosserhoff AK (2010). MicroRNA miR-196a is a central regulator of HOX-B7 and BMP4 expression in malignant melanoma. Cell Mol Life Sci, 67, 3535-48. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00018-010-0394-7
- Care A, Silvani A, Meccia E, et al (1996). HOXB7 constitutively activates basic fibroblast growth factor in melanomas. Mol Cell Biol, 16, 4842-51. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.16.9.4842
- Deregulated HOXB7 Expression Predicts Poor Prognosis of Patients with Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Regulates Cancer Cell Proliferation In Vitro and In Vivo vol.10, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0130551