- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
MiR-886-5p Inhibition Inhibits Growth and Induces Apoptosis of MCF7 Cells
- Zhang, Lei-Lei (Department of General Pathology, Huaihe Hospital, Henan University) ;
- Wu, Jiang (Department of General Pathology, Huaihe Hospital, Henan University) ;
- Liu, Qiang (Department of General Pathology, Huaihe Hospital, Henan University) ;
- Zhang, Yan (Department of General Pathology, Huaihe Hospital, Henan University) ;
- Sun, Zhu-Lei (Department of General Pathology, Huaihe Hospital, Henan University) ;
- Jing, Hong (Department of General Pathology, Huaihe Hospital, Henan University)
- Published : 2014.02.28
Background and Aims: To explore the molecular mechanisms of miR-886-5p in breast cancer., we examined roles in inhibiting growth and migration of MCF-7 cells. Methods: MiR-886-5p mimics and inhibitors were used to express or inhibit MiR-886-5p, respectively, and MTT and clone formation assays were used to determine the survival and proliferation. Hoechst 33342/ PI double staining was applied to detect apoptosis. The expression of caspase-3, caspase-8, caspase-9, MT1-MMP, VEGF-C and VEGF-D was detected by Western blotting, and the levels of MMP2 and MMP9 secreted from MCF-7 cells were assessed by ELISA. MCF-7 cell migration was determined by wound healing and Transwell assays. Results: We found that the growth of MCF-7 cells was inhibited upon decreasing miR-886-5p levels. Inhibiting miR-866-5p also significantly induced apoptosis and decreased the migratory capacity of these cells. The expression of VEGF-C, VEGF-D, MT1-MMP, MMP2, and MMP9 was also found to be decreased as compared to controls. Conclusions: Our data show that downregulation of miR-886-5p expression in MCF-7 cells could significantly inhibit cell growth and migration. This might imply that inhibiting miR-886-5p could be a therapeutic strategy in breast cancer.
- Zamore PD, Haley B (2005). Ribo-gnome: the big world of smallRNAs. Science, 309, 1519-24. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1111444
- Zhang B, Pan X, Cobb GP (2007). Anderson TA. microRNAs as oncogenes and tumor suppressors. Developmental Biol,302, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ydbio.2006.08.028
- Zheng TS, Wang JB, Chen X, Liu LX (2010). Role of microRNA in anticancer drug resistance. Int J Cancer, 126, 2-10. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24782
- On NH, Miller DW (2013). Transporter-based delivery of anticancer drugs to the brain: improving brain penetration by minimizing drug efflux at the blood-brain barrier. Curr Pharm Des, 714, 56-64.
- Li JY, Jia S, Zhang WH (2013). Differential distribution ofmicroRNAs in breast cancer grouped by clinicopathologicalsubtypes. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3197-203. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3197
- Li JH, Xiao X, Zhang YN, et al (2011). MicroRNA miR-8865p inhibits apoptosis by down-regulating Bax expression in human cervical carcinoma cells. Gynecol Oncol, 120,145-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2010.09.009
- Mahamodhossen YA, Liu W, Rong-Rong Z (2013). Triple-negative breast cancer: new perspectives for novel therapies.Med Oncol, 30, 653-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-013-0653-1
- Rodrigues M, Xin X, Jee K, et al (2013). VEGF Secretedby Hypoxic Muller Cells Induces MMP-2 Expressionand Activity in Endothelial Cells to Promote RetinalNeovascularization in Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy. Diabetes, 62, 3863-73. https://doi.org/10.2337/db13-0014
- Shyu AB, Wilkinson MF, Hoof AV (2008). Messenger RNAregulation: to translate or to degrade. EMBO J, 27, 471-81. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.emboj.7601977
- Sharbati J, Lewin A, Kutz-Lohroff B, et al (2011). Integrated microRNA-mRNA-analysis of human monocyte derivedmacrophages upon Mycobacterium avium subsp. Hominissuis infection. PLoS One, 6, e20258. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0020258
- Saito T, Takeda N, Amiya E, et al (2013). VEGF-A induces its negative regulator, soluble form of VEGFR-1, by modulatingits alternative splicing. FEBS Lett, 587, 2179-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.febslet.2013.05.038
- Volinia S, Calin GA, Liu CG, et al (2006). A microRNA expression signature of human solid tumors defines cancer gene targets. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 103, 2257-61. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0510565103
- Xiao W, Bao ZX, Zhang CY, et al (2010). Upregulation of miR31* is negatively associated with recurrent/newly formed oral leukoplakia. PLoS One, 7, e38648.
- Giuliano S, Pages G (2013). Mechanisms of resistance to antiangiogenesis therapies. Biochimi, 95, 1110-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biochi.2013.03.002
- Farazi TA, Horlings HM, Ten Hoeve JJ, et al (2011). MicroRNA sequence and expression analysis in breast tumors by deep sequencing. Cancer Res, 71, 4443-53. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-11-0608
- Gao W, Shen H, Liu L, et al (2013). MiR-21 overexpression in human primary squamous cell lung carcinoma is associated with poor patient prognosis. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 137,557-66.
- Guo Y, Zeng Q, Yan Y, et al (2013). Proliferative effect and osteoinductive potential of extracellular matrix coated on cell culture plates. Springerplus, 5, 303-8.
- Hagan JP, Croce CM (2007). MicroRNAs in carcinogenesis. Cytogenet Genome Res, 118, 252-9. https://doi.org/10.1159/000108308
- Hu Z (2009). Insight into microRNA regulation by analyzing thecharacteristics of their targets in humans. BMC Genomics,10, 594-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2164-10-594
Hsiao KC, Shih NY, Fang HL, et al (2013). Surface
$\alpha$-enolase promotes extracellular matrix degradation and tumor metastasis and represents a new therapeutic target. PLoS One, 19, e69354.
- Iorio MV, Ferracin M, Liu CG, et al (2005). MicroRNA gene expression deregulation in human breast cancer. Cancer Res, 65, 7065-70. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-1783
- Kayani MU, Kayani MA, Malik FA (2011). Role of miRNAs in breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3175-80.
- Lu J, Getz G, Miska EA (2005). MicroRNA expression profiles classify human cancers. Nature, 435, 834-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature03702
- Liang SH, Li J, Al-beit M, et al (2010). Screening andidentification of potential miRNA involved in ovariancancer invasion and metastasis. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi, 32, 650-4.
- Bartel DP (2004). MicroRNAs: genomics, biogenesis,mechanism, and function. Cell, 116, 281-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(04)00045-5
- Calin GA, Croce CM (2006). MicroRNA-cancer connection: thebeginning of a new tale. Cancer Res, 66, 7390-4. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-06-0800
- D'Abreo N, Hindenburg AA (2013). Sex hormone receptors in breast cancer. Vitam Horm, 93, 99-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-416673-8.00001-0
- Fungal Taxol Extracted from Cladosporium oxysporum Induces Apoptosis in T47D Human Breast Cancer Cell Line vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6627
- Breast Cancer: Major Risk Factors and Recent Developments in Treatment vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3353
- Betaine Effects on Morphology, Proliferation, and p53-induced Apoptosis of HeLa Cervical Carcinoma Cells in Vitro vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3195