- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Cleistocalyx nervosum Extract Ameliorates Chemical-Induced Oxidative Stress in Early Stages of Rat Hepatocarcinogenesis
- Taya, Sirinya (Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University) ;
- Punvittayagul, Charatda (Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University) ;
- Inboot, Wanida (Laboratory Animal Center, Chiang Mai University) ;
- Fukushima, Shoji (Japan Bioassay Research Center) ;
- Wongpoomchai, Rawiwan (Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University)
- Published : 2014.03.30
Purpose: To study the effect of Cleistocalyx nervosum extract (CE) on diethylnitrosamine (DEN) and phenobarbital (PB) induced oxidative stress in early stages of rat hepatocarcinogenesis. Materials and Methods: Male Wistar rats were divided into 4 groups, with Group 1 as a negative control and Group 2 was a positive control receiving DEN injections once a week and PB in drinking water for 6 weeks. Two weeks before DEN initiation and PB treatment, Groups 3 and 4, were fed with 500 and 1000 mg/kg of CEs, respectively, for 8 weeks. Results: A number of GST-P-positive foci, preneoplastic lesions, in the liver were markedly increased in carcinogen administered rats, but was comparatively decreased in rats treated with 1000 mg/kg of CE. The CE reduced malondialdehyde in serum and in the livers of rats treated with DEN and PB. Moreover, CE significantly increased the activities of glutathione peroxidase and catalase in rat liver. Conclusions: CE appeared to exert its chemopreventive effects by modulating antioxidant status during DEN and PB induced early stages of hepatocarcinogenesis in rats.
- Yadav AS, Bhatnagar D (2007). Chemo-preventive effect of Star anise in N-nitrosodiethylamine initiated and phenobarbital promoted hepato-carcinogenesis. Chem Biol Interact, 169, 207-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2007.06.032
- Tsuda H, Futakuchi M, Fukamachi K, et al (2010). A mediumterm, rapid rat bioassay model for the detection of carcinogenic potential of chemicals. Toxicol Pathol, 38, 182-7. https://doi.org/10.1177/0192623309356451
- Wang LS, Stoner GD (2008). Anthocyanins and their role in cancer prevention. Cancer Lett, 269, 281-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.05.020
- Zohny SF, Mahmoud AH, Borai IH, et al (2013). Chemopreventive and therapeutic efficacy of Salsola inermis extract against N-nitrosodiethylamine-initiated and phenobarbital-promoted hepatocellular carcinogenesis in Wistar rats. Biomedicine & Aging Pathology, 3, 229-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomag.2013.08.002
- Sun C, Zheng Y, Chen Q, et al (2012). Purification and antitumour activity of cyanidin-3-O-glucoside from Chinese bayberry fruit. Food Chem, 131, 1287-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.09.121
- Scholz W, Schutze K, Kunz W, et al (1990). Phenobarbital enhances the formation of reactive oxygen in neoplastic rat liver nodules. Cancer Res, 50, 7015-22.
- Singh JP, Selvendiran K, Banu SM, et al (2004). Protective role of apigenin on the status of lipid peroxidation and antioxidant defense against hepatocarcinogenesis in Wistar albino rats. Phytomedicine, 11, 309-14. https://doi.org/10.1078/0944711041495254
- Song NR, Yang H, Park J, et al (2012). Cyanidin suppresses neoplastic cell transformation by directly targeting phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase. Food Chem, 133, 658-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.01.045
- Suresh V, Anbazhagan C, Thangam R, et al (2013). Stabilization of mitochondrial and microsomal function of fucoidan from Sargassum plagiophyllum in diethylnitrosamine induced hepatocarcinogenesis. Carbohydr Polym, 92, 1377-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2012.10.038
- Taya S, Punvittayagul C, Chewonarin T, et al (2009). Effect of aqueous extract from Cleistocalyx nervosum on oxidative status in rat liver. Thai J Toxicol, 24, 101-5.
- Thirunavukkarasu C, Singh JP, Selvendiran K, et al (2001). Chemopreventive efficacy of selenium against N-nitrosodiethylamine-induced hepatoma in albino rats. Cell Biochem Funct, 19, 265-71. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbf.924
- Thoppil RJ, Bhatia D, Barnes KF, et al (2012). Black currant anthocyanins abrogate oxidative stress through Nrf2- mediated antioxidant mechanisms in a rat model of hepatocellular carcinoma. Curr Cancer Drug Targets, 12, 1244-57.
- Thuschana W, Thumvijit T, Chansakaow S, et al (2012). Chemical constituents and antioxidant activities of Cleistocalyx nervosum fruits in in vitro and in vivo models. Thai J Toxicol, 27, 194-208.
- Pracheta P, Sharma V, Singh L, et al (2011). Chemopreventive effect of hydroethanolic extract of Euphorbia neriifolia leaves against DENA-induced renal carcinogenesis in mice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 677-83.
- McNally SJ, Harrison EM, Ross JA, et al (2006). Curcumin induces heme oxygenase-1 in hepatocytes and is protective in simulated cold preservation and warm reperfusion injury. Transplantation, 81, 623-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.tp.0000184635.62570.13
- Nagalakshmi N, Prasad MN (2001). Responses of glutathione cycle enzymes and glutathione metabolism to copper stress in Scenedesmus bijugatus. Plant Sci, 160, 291-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-9452(00)00392-7
- Prawan A, Kundu JK, Surh YJ (2005). Molecular basis of heme oxygenase-1 induction: implications for chemoprevention and chemoprotection. Antioxid Redox Signal, 7, 1688-703. https://doi.org/10.1089/ars.2005.7.1688
- Prior RL, Wu X (2006). Anthocyanins: structural characteristics that result in unique metabolic patterns and biological activities. Free Rad Res, 40, 1014-28. https://doi.org/10.1080/10715760600758522
- Puatanachokchai R, Kakuni M, Wanibuchi H, et al (2006). Lack of promoting effects of phenobarbital at low dose on diethylnitrosamine-induced hepatocarcinogenesis in TGFalpha transgenic mice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 274-8.
- Puatanachokchai R, Morimura K, Wanibuchi H, et al (2006). Alpha-benzene hexachloride exerts hormesis in preneoplastic lesion formation of rat hepatocarcinogenesis with the possible role for hepatic detoxifying enzymes. Cancer Lett, 240, 102-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2005.09.006
- Ramakrishnan G, Raghavendran HR, Vinodhkumar R, et al (2006). Suppression of N-nitrosodiethylamine induced hepatocarcinogenesis by silymarin in rats. Chem Biol Interact, 161, 104-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2006.03.007
- Reiss R, Johnston J, Tucker K, et al (2012). Estimation of cancer risks and benefits associated with a potential increased consumption of fruits and vegetables. Food Chem Toxicol, 50, 4421-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2012.08.055
- Klaunig JE, Kamendulis LM (2004). The role of oxidative stress in carcinogenesis. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol, 44, 239-67. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pharmtox.44.101802.121851
- Jeyabal PV, Syed MB, Venkataraman M, et al (2005). Apigenin inhibits oxidative stress-induced macromolecular damage in N-nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA)-induced hepatocellular carcinogenesis in Wistar albino rats. Mol Carcinog, 44, 11-20. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.20115
- Ketterer B (2001). A bird's eye view of the glutathione transferase field. Chem Biol Interact, 138, 27-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-2797(01)00277-0
- Kinoshita A, Wanibuchi H, Imaoka S, et al (2002). Formation of 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine and cell-cycle arrest in the rat liver via generation of oxidative stress by phenobarbital: association with expression profiles of p2 (WAF1/Cip1), cyclin D1 and Ogg1. Carcinogenesis, 23, 341-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/23.2.341
- Lee JH, Khor TO, Shu L, et al (2013). Dietary phytochemicals and cancer prevention: Nrf2 signaling, epigenetics, and cell death mechanisms in blocking cancer initiation and progression. Pharmacol Ther, 137, 153-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pharmthera.2012.09.008
- Imaoka S, Osada M, Minamiyama Y, et al (2004). Role of phenobarbital-inducible cytochrome P450s as a source of active oxygen species in DNA-oxidation. Cancer Lett, 203, 117-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2003.09.009
- Ito N, Tamano S, Shirai T (2003). A medium-term rat liver bioassay for rapid in vivo detection of carcinogenic potential of chemicals. Cancer Sci, 94, 3-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2003.tb01343.x
- Ito N, Tsuda H, Tatematsu M, et al (1988). Enhancing effect of various hepatocarcinogens on induction of preneoplastic glutathione S-transferase placental form positive foci in rats--an approach for a new medium-term bioassay system. Carcinogenesis, 9, 387-94. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/9.3.387
- Maines MD, Gibbs PE (2005). 30 some years of heme oxygenase: from a "molecular wrecking ball" to a "mesmerizing" trigger of cellular events. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 338, 568-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2005.08.121
- Aebi H (1984). Catalase in vitro. Methods Enzymol, 105, 121-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(84)05016-3
- Akerboom T, Sies H (1981). Assay of glutathione, glutathione disulfide, and glutathione mixed disulfides in biological samples. Methods Enzymol, 77, 373-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(81)77050-2
- Bishayee A, Mbimba T, Thoppil RJ, et al (2011). Anthocyaninrich black currant (Ribes nigrum L.) extract affords chemoprevention against diethylnitrosamine-induced hepatocellular carcinogenesis in rats. J Nutr Biochem, 22, 1035-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2010.09.001
- Carlberg I, Mannervik B (1985). Glutathione reductase assay. Methods Enzymol, 113, 484-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(85)13062-4
- Chandra J, Samali A, Orrenius S (2000). Triggering and modulation of apoptosis by oxidative stress. Free Radic Biol Med, 29, 323-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(00)00302-6
- Charoensin S, Taya S, Wongpornchai S, et al (2012). Assessment of genotoxicity and antigenotoxicity of an aqueous extract of Cleistocalyx nervosum var. paniala in in vitro and in vivo models. Interdiscip Toxicol, 5, 201-6.
- Chen PN, Chu SC, Chiou HL, et al (2006). Mulberry anthocyanins, cyanidin 3-rutinoside and cyanidin 3-glucoside, exhibited an inhibitory effect on the migration and invasion of a human lung cancer cell line. Cancer Lett, 235, 248-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2005.04.033
- Farombi EO, Shrotriya S, Na HK, et al (2008). Curcumin attenuates dimethylnitrosamine-induced liver injury in rats through Nrf2-mediated induction of heme oxygenase-1. Food Chem Toxicol, 46, 1279-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2007.09.095
- Fujiwara Y (2003). Plasma levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARs) of the employee with type 2 diabetes mellitus with multiple lacunar lesions. JJOMT, 51, 3-10.
- Antioxidant value and Antiproliferative Efficacy of Mitragynine and a Silane Reduced Analogue vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5659
- Prognostic Significance of Altered Blood and Tissue Glutathione Levels in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Cases vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7603
- Protective Effect of Cleistocalyx nervosum var. paniala Fruit Extract against Oxidative Renal Damage Caused by Cadmium vol.21, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules21020133
- Effect of Spirogyra neglecta on the early stages of 1, 2-dimethylhydrazine-induced colon carcinogenesis in rats vol.27, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0000000000000320