- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Knockdown of GCF2/LRRFIP1 by RNAi Causes Cell Growth Inhibition and Increased Apoptosis in Human Hepatoma HepG2 Cells
- Li, Jing-Ping (Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Preclinical Medicine, Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Cao, Nai-Xia (Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Preclinical Medicine, Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Jiang, Ri-Ting (Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Preclinical Medicine, Guangxi Medical University) ;
- He, Shao-Jian (Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Preclinical Medicine, Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Huang, Tian-Ming (Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Preclinical Medicine, Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Wu, Bo (Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Preclinical Medicine, Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Chen, De-Feng (Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Preclinical Medicine, Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Ma, Ping (Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Preclinical Medicine, Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Chen, Li (Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Preclinical Medicine, Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Zhou, Su-Fang (Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Preclinical Medicine, Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Xie, Xiao-Xun (Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Preclinical Medicine, Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Luo, Guo-Rong (Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Preclinical Medicine, Guangxi Medical University)
- Published : 2014.03.30
Background: GC-binding factor 2 (GCF2) is a transcriptional regulator that represses transcriptional activity of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) by binding to a specific GC-rich sequence in the EGFR gene promoter. In addition to this function, GCF2 has also been identified as a tumor-associated antigen and regarded as a potentially valuable serum biomarker for early human hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) diagnosis. GCF2 is high expressed in most HCC tissues and cell lines including HepG2. This study focused on the influence of GCF2 on cell proliferation and apoptosis in HepG2 cells. Materials and Methods: GCF2 expression at both mRNA and protein levels in HepG2 cells was detected with reverse transcription (RT) PCR and Western blotting, respectively. RNA interference (RNAi) technology was used to knock down GCF2 mRNA and protein expression. Afterwards, cell viability was analyzed with a Cell Counting Kit-8 (CCK-8), and cell apoptosis and caspase 3 activity by flow cytometry and with a Caspase 3 Activity Kit, respectively. Results: Specific down-regulation of GCF2 expression caused cell growth inhibition, and increased apoptosis and caspase 3 activity in HepG2 cells. Conclusions: These primary results suggest that GCF2 may influence cell proliferation and apoptosis in HepG2 cells, and also provides a molecular basis for further investigation into the possible mechanism at proliferation and apoptosis in HCC.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Ariake K, Ohtsuka H, Motoi F, et al (2012). GCF2/LRRFIP1 promotes colorectal cancer metastasis and liver invasion through integrin-dependent RhoA activation. Cancer Lett, 325, 99-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2012.06.012
- Cho LY, Yang JJ, Ko KP, et al (2011). Coinfection of hepatitis B and C viruses and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma: systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Cancer, 128, 176-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25321
- Dai P, Jeong SY, Yu Y, et al (2009). Modulation of TLR signaling by multiple MyD88-interacting partners including leucinerich repeat Fli-I-interacting proteins. J Immunol, 182, 3450-60. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.0802260
- Donato AL, Huang Q, Liu X, et al (2014). Caspase 3 Promotes Surviving Melanoma Tumor Cell Growth After Cytotoxic Therapy. J Invest Dermatol, [Epub ahead of print].
- Eden S, Constancia M, Hashimshony T, et al (2001). An upstream repressor element plays a role in Igf2 imprinting. EMBO J, 20, 3518-25. https://doi.org/10.1093/emboj/20.13.3518
- Frejlich E, Rudno-Rudzinska J, Janiszewski K, et al (2013). Caspases and their role in gastric cancer. Adv Clin Exp Med, 22, 593-602.
- Giraud M, Jmari N, Du L, et al (2014). An RNAi screen for Aire cofactors reveals a role for Hnrnpl in polymerase release and Aire-activated ectopic transcription. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, [Epub ahead of print].
- Jiang RT, Cao NX, M P, Li JP, Luo GR (2012). Selection of human hepatocellular carcinoma cell lines with the high expression of GCF2. J Guangdong Medical, 33, 1551-3.
- Khachigian LM, Santiago FS, Rafty LA, et al (1999). GC factor 2 represses platelet-derived growth factor A-chain gene transcription and is itself induced by arterial injury. Circ Res, 84, 1258-67. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.RES.84.11.1258
- Li G, Chang H, Zhai YP, et al (2013). Targeted silencing of inhibitors of apoptosis proteins with siRNAs: a potential anti-cancer strategy for hepatocellular carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4943-52.
- Liu Z, Rebowe RE, Wang Z, et al (2014). KIF3a promotes proliferation and invasion via wnt signaling in advanced prostate cancer. Mol Cancer Res, [Epub ahead of print].
- Mallolas J, Hurtado O, Castellanos M, et al (2006). A polymorphism in the EAAT2 promoter is associated with higher glutamate concentrations and higher frequency of progressing stroke. J Exp Med, 203, 711-7. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.20051979
- Ohtsuka H, Oikawa M, Ariake K, et al (2011). GC-binding factor 2 interacts with dishevelled and regulates Wnt signaling pathways in human carcinoma cell lines. Int J Cancer, 129, 1599-610. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25837
- Peng YF, Shi YH, Ding ZB, et al (2013). Alpha-fetoprotein promoter-driven Cre/LoxP-switched RNA interference for hepatocellular carcinoma tissue-specific target therapy. PLoS One, 8, 53072. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0053072
- Reed AL, Yamazaki H, Kaufman JD, et al (1998). Molecular cloning and characterization of a transcription regulator with homology to GC-binding factor. J Biol Chem, 273, 21594-602. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.273.34.21594
- Rikiyama T, Curtis J, Oikawa M, et al (2003). GCF2: expression and molecular analysis of repression. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1629, 15-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4781(03)00156-8
Schlatter R, Schmich K, Lutz A, et al (2011). Modeling the TNF
$\alpha$-induced apoptosis pathway in hepatocytes. PLoS One, 6, 18646. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0018646
- Stenner-Liewen F, Luo G, Sahin U, et al (2000. Definition of tumor-associated antigens in hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 9, 285-90.
- Suriano AR, Sanford AN, Kim N, et al (2005). GCF2/LRRFIP1 represses tumor necrosis factor alpha expression. Mol Cell Biol, 25, 9073-81. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.25.20.9073-9081.2005
- Tannapfel A, Geissler F, Kockerling F, et al (1999). Apoptosis and proliferation in relation to histopathological variables and prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Pathol, 187, 439-45. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9896(199903)187:4<439::AID-PATH272>3.0.CO;2-B
- Venook AP, Papandreou C, Furuse J, de Guevara LL (2010). The incidence and epidemiology of hepatocellular carcinoma: a global and regional perspective. Oncologist, 15, 5-13.
- Wang YQ, Chen C, Chen Z, et al (2013). Indole-3-carbinol inhibits cell proliferation and induces apoptosis in Hep-2 laryngeal cancer cells. Oncol Rep, 30, 227-33.
- Wong RS (2011). Apoptosis in cancer: from pathogenesis to treatment. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 30, 87-101. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-30-87
- Zhou Q, Geahlen RL (2009). The protein-tyrosine kinase SYK interacts with TRAF-interacting protein TRIP in breast epithelial cells. Oncogene, 28, 1348-56. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2008.493
- Zhou SF, Xie XX, Bin YH, et al (2006). Identification of HCC- 22-5 tumor-associated antigen and antibody response in patients. Clin Chim Acta, 366, 274-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2005.10.026
- Cytotoxicity Assessments of Portulaca oleracea and Petroselinum sativum Seed Extracts on Human Hepatocellular Carcinoma Cells (HepG2) vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6633
- Effect of Trichostatin A on Anti HepG2 Liver Carcinoma Cells: Inhibition of HDAC Activity and Activation of Wnt/β-Catenin Signaling vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7849
- RNAi-mediated gene silencing of vascular endothelial growth factor C suppresses growth and induces apoptosis in mouse breast cancer in vitro and in vivo vol.12, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.5158
- Recombinant Leucine-Rich Repeat Flightless-Interacting Protein-1 Improves Healing of Acute Wounds through Its Effects on Proliferation Inflammation and Collagen Deposition vol.19, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19072014
- Multidisciplinary Roles of LRRFIP1/GCF2 in Human Biological Systems and Diseases vol.8, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/cells8020108