- Volume 15 Issue 6
Purpose: To investigate the risk factors for appendiceal metastasis of epithelial ovarian cancer and compare findings with the previous studies. Materials and Methods: One hundred and thirty-four patients with epithelial ovarian cancer were assessed in this study. All of them had undergone a surgical procedure including appendectomy. Of these, 21 (15.7%) patients who had appendiceal metastasis were analyzed as the case group and the patients with no metastasis were the controls, compared according to stage, grade, histology of tumor, preoperative Ca125 levels, presence of ascites, peritoneal cytology, diameter and site of tumor considered as risk factors. Results: We found statistically significant differences between the groups in terms of stage, grade, right-sided tumor location, presence of ascites, diameter of tumor
Appendix;metastasis;epithelial ovarian cancer
- Wang B, Liu SZ, Zheng RS, et al. (2014) Time trends of ovarian cancer incidence in china. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 191-3. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.191
- Sonnendecker EW (1982). Is appendectomy mandatory in patients with ovarian carcinoma? S Afr Med J, 62, 978-80.
- Takac I (2000). Role of appendectomy in predicting lymph node metastases in patients with ovarian cancer. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol, 88, 159-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-2115(99)00151-7
- Timofeev J, Galgano MT, Stoler MH, et al (2010) Appendiceal pathology at the time of oophorectomy for ovarian neoplasms. Obstet Gynecol. 116, 1348-53. https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e3181fae628
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Fontanelli R, PaladiniD, Raspagliesi F, DiRe E (1992). The role of appendectomy in surgical procedures for ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 46, 42-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-8258(92)90193-M
- Feigenberg T, Covens A Ghorab Z, et al (2013). Is routine appendectomy at the time of primary surgery for mucinous ovarian neoplasms beneficial? Int J Gynecol Cancer. 23, 1205-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0b013e31829b7dca
- Gaemmaghami F, Yousefi Z, Gilani M, et al (2011). Role of appropriate surgery in survival of patients wwith epithelial ovarian cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 253-7.
- Kleppe M, Bruls J, Van Gorp T, et al (2014). Mucinous borderline tumours of the ovary and the appendix: A retrospective study and overview of the literature. Gynecol Oncol, 16, 131-0.
- Lin JE, Seo S, Kushner DM, Rose SL (2013). The role of appendectomy for mucinous ovarian neoplasms. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 208, 46, 1-4.
- Malfetano JH (1987). The appendix and its metastatic potential in epithelial ovarian cancer. Obstet Gynecol, 69, 396-8.
- Bese T, Kosebay D, Kaleli S, et al (1996). Appendectomy in the surgical staging of ovarian carcinoma. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 53, 249-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7292(96)02665-3
- Elias KM, Labidi-Galy SI, Vitonis AF, et al (2013). Prior appendectomy does not protect against subsequent development of malignant or borderline mucinous ovarian neoplasms. Gynecol Oncol. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ramirez PT, Slomovitz BM, McQuinn L, Levenback C, Coleman RL (2006). Role of appendectomy at the time of primary surgery in patients with early-stage ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 103, 888-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2006.05.021
- Rose PG, Reale FR, Fisher A, Hunter RE (1991). Appendectomy in primary and secondary staging operations for ovarian malignancy. Obstet Gynecol, 77, 116-8.
- Ayhan A, Gultekin M, Taskiran C, et al (2005). Routine appendectomy in epithelial ovarian carcinoma: is it necessary? Obstet Gynecol, 105, 719-24. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.AOG.0000154884.20872.c4
- Intra-Peritoneal Cisplatin Combined with Intravenous Paclitaxel in Optimally Debulked Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer Patients: An Izmir Oncology Group Study vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6165