- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Epidemiological and Clinicopathological Characteristics of Lung Cancer in a Teaching Hospital in Iran
- Hajmanoochehri, Fatemeh (Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mohammadi, Navid (Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Iran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Zohal, Mohammad Ali (Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sodagar, Abolfazl (Faculty of Medicine, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ebtehaj, Mehdi (Department of Anesthesiology, Metabolic Disease Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2014.03.30
Background: Lung cancer is one of the most commonly diagnosed cancers and the most frequent cause of cancer-related death worldwide. In Iran, it ranks second and third as the cancer-causing death in men and women, respectively. We carried out this study to find out the demographic, clinical, and histological characteristics and risk factors of lung cancer in a referral tertiary center in Iran. Materials and Methods: A retrospective study was conducted on cases of primary lung cancer based on the results of registered cancer reports of cytological and pathological specimens between March 2001 and March 2012. Demographic variables, clinical manifestations, histology and location of tumors were determined based on the data found in the medical records of each patient. Definite or probable etiologic factors were identified. Data analysis was performed with SPSS version 16 and a p-value
- Agrawal S (2012). Effect of indoor air pollution from biomass and solid fuel combustion on prevalence of self-reported asthma among adult men and women in India: findings from a nationwide large-scale cross-sectional survey. J Asthma, 49, 355-65. https://doi.org/10.3109/02770903.2012.663030
- Asnaashari AMH, Sadrizadeh A, Ahmadi H, et al (2013). The study of mycobacterium tuberculosis in Iranian patients with lung cancer. Jundishapur J Microbiol, 6, 237-41.
- Balmes JR (2010).When smoke gets in your lungs. Proc Am Thorac Soc, 7, 98-101. https://doi.org/10.1513/pats.200907-081RM
- Couraud S, Zalcman G, Milleron B, Morin F, Souquet PJ (2012). Lung cancer in never smokers-a review. Eur J Cancer, 48, 1299-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.03.007
- De Matteis S, Consonni D, Pesatori AC, et al (2013). Are women who smoke at higher risk for lung cancer than men who smoke? Am j epidemiol, 177, 601-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kws445
- Demirci E, Daloglu F, Gundogdu C, et al (2013). Incidence and clinicopathologic features of primary lung cancer: a North- Eastern Anatolia region study in Turkey (2006-2012). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1989-93. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1989
- Ehteshamifar A, Mousavi SAJ, Aram N, et al (2001). Prevalence of different histopathologic types of lung cancer in patients of Tehran city hospitals during 1992-1999. Razi Med J, 26, 373-81.
- El-Basmy A (2013). Profile of lung cancer in kuwait. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6181-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6181
- Emami Razavi SH, Aaghajani H, Haghazali M, et al (2009). The most common cancers in Iranian women. Iranian J Publ Health, 38, 109-12.
- Galeone C, Pelucchi C, La Vecchia C, et al (2008). Indoor air pollution from solid fuel use, chronic lung diseases and lung cancer in Harbin, Northeast China. Eur J Cancer Prev, 17, 473-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0b013e328305a0b9
- Ghobadi H, Sharghi A, Sadat-Kermani Z (2013). Epidemiology and risk factors for lung cancer in Ardabil, Iran. JArdabilUniverMedSci, 13, 220-8.
- Golshan M, Faghihi M, Marandi MM (2000). Indoor women jobs and pulmonary risks in rural areas of Isfahan, Respir, Med, 96, 382-8.
- Hosseini M, Naghan PA, Karimi S, et al (2009). Environmental risk factors for lung cancer in Iran: a case-control study. Int J Epidemol, 38, 989-96. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyp218
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center M, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kadara H, Kabbout M, Wistuba II (2012). Pulmonary adenocarcinoma: a renewed entity in 2011. Respirology, 17, 50-65. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1843.2011.02095.x
- Karimzadeh L, Koohdani F, Siassi F, et al (2011). A case control study on the lung cancer risk factors in north of Iran. J Exp Ther Oncol, 9, 153-8.
- Kodgule R, Salvi S (2012). Exposure to biomass smoke as a cause for airway disease in women and children. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol, 12, 82-90. https://doi.org/10.1097/ACI.0b013e32834ecb65
- Kummar V, Abbas AB, Aster J (2013). The lung. In: Kummar V, Abbas AB, Aster J. Robbins Basic Pathology. 9th Edition, Sunders-Elsevier, 528-29.
- Kurmi OP, Semple S, Simkhada P, Smith WC, Ayres JG (2010). COPD and chronic bronchitis risk of indoor air pollution from solid fuel: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Thorax, 65, 221-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2009.124644
- Kurmi OP, Lam KB, Ayres JG (2012). Indoor air pollution and the lung in low- and medium-income countries. Eur Respir J, 40, 239-54. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.00190211
- Mandal SK, Singh TT, Sharma TD, Amrithalingam V (2013). Clinico-pathology of lung cancer in a regional cancer center in Northeastern India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7277-81. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7277
- Meysamie A, Ghaletaki R, Zhand N, Abbasi M (2012). Cigarette Smoking in Iran. Iran J Public Health, 41, 1-14.
- Missaoui N, Hmissa S, Landolsi H, et al (2011). Lung cancer in central Tunisia: epidemiology and clinicopathological features. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2305-9.
- Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Mohagheghi M, Kalaghchi B, et al (2009). Estimating the incidence of lung cancer attributable to occupational exposure in Iran. Popul Health Metr, 7, 7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1478-7954-7-7
- Mousavi SM, Gouya MM, Ramazani R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- Nakamura H, Saji H (2013). A worldwide trend of increasing primary adenocarcinoma of the lung. Surg Today, [Epub ahead of print].
- Najafi F, Jafari R, Mozaffari HR, Leghaei Z (2010). Trend in lung cancer incidence in Kermanshah province-Iran. Behbood, 14, 342-48.
- Petersen I (2011). The morphological and molecular diagnosis of lung cancer. Dtsch Arztebl Int, 108, 525-31.
- Rabahi MF, Ferreira AA, Reciputti BP, Matos Tde O, Pinto SA (2012). Fiberoptic bronchoscopy findings in patients diagnosed with lung cancer. J Bras Pneumol, 38, 445-51. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-37132012000400006
- Reid BC, Ghazarian AA, DeMarini DM (2012). Research opportunities for cancer associated with indoor air pollution from solid-fuel combustion. Environ Health Perspect, 120, 1495-8. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.1204962
- Rosai J (2009). Respiratory tract. In: Rosai J. Rosai and Ackerman's Surgical Pathology, 10th edtion, Sunders- Elsevier, 366-73.
- Sahin F, Yildiz P (2011). Radiological, bronchoscopic and histopathologic characteristics of patients with primary lung cancer in Turkey (2006-2009). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1947-52.
- Santos-Martinez MJ, Curull V, Blanco ML, et al (2005). Lung cancer at a university hospital: epidemiological and histological characteristics of a recent and a historical series. Arch Bronconeumol, 41, 307-12.
- Tarrahi MJ, Mehrabani D, Khademolhosseini F, et al (2009). Lung cancer occurrence in Southern Iran. J Res Med Sci, 14, 139-40.
- Thompson CA, Waldhor T, Schernhammer ES, et al (2012). Smoking and lung cancer: current trends in Austria. Wien Klin Wochenschr, 124, 493-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00508-012-0207-0
- World Health Organization (2013). Cancer. Factsheet.
- Yang P (2011). Lung cancer in never smokers. Semin Respir Crit Care Med, 32, 10-21. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0031-1272865
- Zahir ST, Mirtalebi M (2012).Survival of patients with lungcancer, Yazd, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4387-91. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4387
- Zhou W, Christiani DC (2011). East meets west: ethnic differences in epidemiology and clinical behaviors of lung cancer between East Asians and Caucasians. Chin J Cancer, 30, 287-92. https://doi.org/10.5732/cjc.011.10106
- Geographic Distribution and Epidemiology of Lung Cancer During 2011 in Zhejiang Province of China vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5299
- Pattern of Tobacco Use and its Correlates among Older Adults in India vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6195
- Histologic Distribution of Pulmonary Tumors in Lebanon: A 5-Year Single Institution Experience vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5899
- Estimation of Survival Rates in Patients with Lung Cancer in West Azerbaijan, the Northwest of Iran vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3923
- Trends in the incidence rate of lung cancer by histological type and gender in Sichuan, China, 1995-2015: A single-center retrospective study vol.9, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1759-7714.12601