- Volume 15 Issue 6
Background: Cancer accounts for 12.6% of total deaths in the world (just after heart disease). Materials and Methods: Frequency and age-specific incidence rates of breast and gynecologic cancers in Iran are calculated based on the dataset of the National Cancer Registry of Iran in 2005. Results: Gynecologic and breast cancer accounted for 7.6% and 25.6% of total cancer cases, respectively. Ovarian cancer was the most frequent gynecologic cancer followed by endometrium. Endometrial cancer revealed the highest age specific incidence rate followed by ovary (after 59 years). Conclusions: Regarding disease burden, breast and gynecologic cases account for 33.4% of total cancer patients. The age specific incidence rate is a useful guide in epidemiologic and future plans.
Ovarian cancer;cervical cancer;endometrial cancer;gynecologic cancer;Iran
- Parkin D (2005). Cancer incidence in five continents, World Health Organization.
- Modugno F, Ness RB, Wheeler JE (2001). Reproductive risk factors for epithelial ovarian cancer according to histologic type and invasiveness. Ann Epidemiol, 11, 568-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1047-2797(01)00213-7
- Mohammad A, Al-Lawati J, Nooyi S, Al-Lawati N, Al-Siyabi N (2009). Cancer incidence In Oman, 2007. Muscat: Ministry of Health.
- Momtahen S, Kadivar M, Kazzazi AS, Gholipour F (2009). Assessment of gynecologic malignancies: a multi-center study in Tehran (1995-2005). Indian J Cancer, 46, 226-30. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.52957
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Registry TC (2007). Cancer inequalities in London 2000- 2004. London: thames cancer registry.
- Rogo KO (1989). Mortality in acute gynecology: a developing country perspective. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 30, 343-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7292(89)90821-7
- Tworoger SS, Fairfield KM, Colditz GA, Rosner BA, Hankinson SE (2007). Association of oral contraceptive use, other contraceptive methods, and infertility with ovarian cancer risk. Am J Epidemiol, 166, 894-901. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwm157
- Walboomers JM, Jacobs MV, Manos MM, et al (1999). Human papillomavirus is a necessary cause of invasive cervical cancer worldwide. J Pathol, 189, 12-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9896(199909)189:1<12::AID-PATH431>3.0.CO;2-F
- WHO (2007). Ten statistical highlights global public health. World health statistics 2007. Geneva.
- WHO (2009). World health organization, mortality database.
- Holschneider CH, Berek JS (2000). Ovarian cancer: epidemiology, biology, and prognostic factors. Semin Surg Oncol, 19, 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-2388(200007/08)19:1<3::AID-SSU2>3.0.CO;2-S
- Garland M, Hunter DJ, Colditz GA, et al (1998). Menstrual cycle characteristics and history of ovulatory infertility in relation to breast cancer risk in a large cohort of US women. Am J Epidemiol, 147, 636-43. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009504
- Hankinson SE, Colditz GA, Hunter DJ, et al (1995). A prospective study of reproductive factors and risk of epithelial ovarian cancer. Cancer, 76, 284-90. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19950715)76:2<284::AID-CNCR2820760219>3.0.CO;2-5
- Haverkos HW, Soon G, Steckley SL, et al (2003). Cigarette smoking and cervical cancer: Part I: a meta-analysis. Biomed Pharmacother, 57, 67-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0753-3322(03)00196-3
- Hovland S, Arbyn M, Lie AK, et al (2010). A comprehensive evaluation of the accuracy of cervical pre-cancer detection methods in a high-risk area in East Congo. Br J Cancer, 102, 957-65. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605594
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2006). Cancer statistics, 2006. CA Cancer J Clin, 56, 106-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.56.2.106
- Jensen A, Sharif H, Olsen JH, Kjaer SK (2008). Risk of breast cancer and gynecologic cancers in a large population of nearly 50,000 infertile Danish women. Am J Epidemiol, 168, 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwn094
- Key TJ, Verkasalo PK, Banks E (2001). Epidemiology of breast cancer. Lancet Oncol, 2, 133-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(00)00254-0
- Khuhaprema T, Srivatanakul P, Sriplung H, et al (2007). Cancer in Thailand Vol. IV, 1998-2000. Bangkok, National Cancer Institute.
- Lorenzo-Luaces Alvarez P, Guerra-Yi ME, Faes C, Galan Alvarez Y, Molenberghs G (2009). Spatial analysis of breast and cervical cancer incidence in small geographical areas in Cuba, 1999-2003. Eur J Cancer Prev, 18, 395-403. https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0b013e32832f9b93
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2007). Australian cancer Incidence and mortality. AIHW Canberra.
- Akhmedkhanov A, Zeleniuch-Jacquotte A, Toniolo P (2001). Role of exogenous and endogenous hormones in endometrial cancer: review of the evidence and research perspectives. Ann NY Acad Sci, 943, 296-315.
- American Cancer Society (2011). Global cancer facts and figures (2nd edition).
- Arab M, Khayamzadeh M, Tehranian A, et al (2010). Incidence rate of ovarian cancer in Iran in comparison with developed countries. Indian J Cancer, 47, 322-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.64721
- Baltzer J (2008). Gynecologic oncology: the German view. Arch Gynecol Obstet, 278, 257-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-007-0552-9
- Beral V, Doll R, Hermon C, Peto R, Reeves G (2008). Ovarian cancer and oral contraceptives: collaborative reanalysis of data from 45 epidemiological studies including 23,257 women with ovarian cancer and 87,303 controls. Lancet, 371, 303-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60167-1
- Bernstein L (2002). Epidemiology of endocrine-related risk factors for breast cancer. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia, 7, 3-15. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015714305420
- Bray F, Loos AH, Mccarron P, et al (2005). Trends in cervical squamous cell carcinoma incidence in 13 European countries: changing risk and the effects of screening. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 677-86. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-04-0569
- Cabanes A, Vidal E, Perez-Gomez B, et al (2009). Age-specific breast, uterine and ovarian cancer mortality trends in Spain: changes from 1980 to 2006. Cancer Epidemiol, 33, 169-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2009.08.010
- Day GE, Lanier AP, Bulkow L, Kelly JJ, Murphy N (2010). Cancers of the breast, uterus, ovary and cervix among Alaska Native women, 1974-2003. Int J Circumpolar Health, 69, 72-86.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: Globocan 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- ACOG practice bulletin (2002). Diagnosis and treatment of cervical carcinomas. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 78, 79-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7292(02)90092-5
- Diagnostic Accuracy of Magnetic Resonance Imaging versus Clinical Staging in Cervical Cancer vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5729
- Five Year Survival of Women with Breast Cancer in Yazd vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6597
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Risk of Endometrial Cancer: a Mini-Review vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7011
- Ovarian Malignancy Probability Score (OMPS) for Appropriate Referral of Adnexal Masses vol.15, pp.20, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8647
- Prognostic Value of Peritoneal Washing Cytology in Gynecologic Malignancies: a Controversial Issue vol.15, pp.21, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9405
- Demographic Survey of Four Thousand Patients with 10 Common Cancers in North Eastern Iran over the Past Three Decades vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10193
- Descriptive Epidemiology of Common Female Cancers in the North East India - a Hospital Based Study vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10735
- Ovarian Cancer in Iranian Women, a Trend Analysis of Mortality and Incidence vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10787
- Update knowledge on cervical cancer incidence and prevalence in Asia vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3617
- Evaluation of serum level of substance P and tissue distribution of NK-1 receptor in endometrial cancer pp.1573-4978, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-018-4387-1
- Cervical cancer in Iran: integrative insights of epidemiological analysis vol.8, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1051/bmdcn/2018080318