- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Clinicopathological Evaluation of Odontogenic Tumours in Pakistan - A Seven Years Retrospective Study
- Naz, Iram (Oral Pathology, Islamabad Medical and Dental College) ;
- Mahmood, Muhammad Khurram (Pharmacology, Islamabad Medical and Dental College) ;
- Akhtar, Farhan (Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP)) ;
- Nagi, Abdul Hannan (Pathology Department, University of Health Sciences)
- Published : 2014.04.01
Background: The purpose of the study was to analyse the clinicopathological spectrum of benign and malignant odontogenic tumours (OT) in Pakistan. Materials and Methods: This retrospective study was carried out at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP) Rawalpindi. Seven years archival records of histologically diagnosed odontogenic tumours, both benign and malignant, were collected and the lesions re-diagnosed histologically in accordance with the WHO classification of head and neck tumours (2005). Clinical as well as histological data were analysed and frequency of each type of OT was calculated using computer software programme SPSS (version 17). Mean tumour size was calculated and Chi-square test was applied to find associations of age, gender and site with each histological type of tumour. Results: Only 1.7% of the odontogenic tumours diagnosed in this said period were malignant while the remaining 98.3% were benign. Amongst benign lesions, ameloblastoma was the most common (61.3%) type while primary intraosseous squamous cell carcinoma (1.7%) was the only reported malignant tumour. Mean age of the affected patients was
Odontogenic tumours;ameloblastoma;primary intraosseous squamous cell carcinoma
- Siar CH, Lau SH, Ng KH (2011). Ameloblastoma of the Jaws: a retrospective analysis of 340 cases in a Malaysian Population). J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 70, 608-15.
- Sriram G, Shetty RP (2008). Odontogenic tumors:a study of 250 cases in an Indian teaching hospital. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 105, 14-21.
- Tawfik MA, Zyada MM (2010). Odontogenic tumors in dakahia egypt: analysis of 82 cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 109, 67-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2009.07.043
- Varkhede A, Tupkari JV, Mandale MS, Sardar M (2010). Odontogenic tumors: a review of 60 cases. J Clin Exp Dent, 2, 183-6.
- Varkhede A, Tupkari JV, Sardar M (2011). Odontogenic tumors: A study of 120 cases in an Indian teaching hospital. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal, 16, 895-9.
- Jing W, Xuan M, Lin Y, et al (2007). Odontogenic tumours: a retrospective study of 1642 cases in a Chinese population. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 36, 20-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2006.10.011
- El-Gehani R, Orafi M, Elarbi M, Subkashraj K (2009). Benign tumors of orofacial region at Benghazi, Libya: a study of 405 cases. J Cranio Maxillofac Surg, 37, 370-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2009.02.003
- Gonzalez-Alva P, Tanaka A, Oku Y, et al (2008). Keratocystic odontogenic tumor: a retrospective study of 183 cases. Int J Oral Sci, 50, 205-12. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.50.205
- Guerrisi M, Piloni MJ, Keszler A (2007). Odontogenic tumors in children and adolescents. A 15-year retrospective study in Argentina. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal, 12, 180-5.
- Ladeinde AL, Ajayi OF, Ogunlewe MO, et al (2005). Odontogenic tumors: a review of 319 cases in a nigerian teaching hospital. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 99, 191-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2004.08.031
- Lima GS, Fontes ST, Araujo LMA, et al (2008). A survey of oral and maxillofacial biopsies in children: a single-centre retrospective study of 20 years in pelotas-Brazil. J Appl Oral Sci, 16, 397-402. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1678-77572008000600008
- Luo HY, Li TJ (2009). Odontogenic tumors: a study of 1309 cases in a Chinese population. Oral Oncology, 45, 706-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2008.11.001
- Olgaca V, Koseoglub BG, Aksakallia N (2006). Odontogenic tumours in Istanbul: 527 cases. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 44, 386-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2005.07.002
- Saghravanian N, Jafarzadeh H, Bashardoost, Pahlavan N, Shirinbak I (2010). Odontogenic tumors in an Iranian population: a 30-year evaluation. J Oral Sci, 52, 391-6. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.52.391
- Senel FC, Dayisoylu EH, Ersoz S, et al (2012). The relative frequency of odontogenic tumors in the black sea region of Turkey: an analysis of 86 cases. Turk J Med Sci, 42, 1463-70.
- Avelar RL, Antunes AA, Santos TS, Andrade ESS& Dourado E (2008). Odontogenic tumors: clinical and pathology study of 238 cases. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol, 74, 668-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1808-8694(15)31375-6
- Barnes L, Eveson JW, Reichart P, Sidransky D (2005). Pathology and genetics of head and neck tumors. Lyon, IARC Press.
- Bhawna G, Ponniah I (2010). The pattern of odontogenic tumors in a government teaching hospital in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 110, 32-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2009.11.005
- Buchner A, Merrell PW, Carpenter WM (2006). Relative frequency of central odontogenic tumors: a study of 1,088 cases from northern California and comparison to studies from other parts of the world. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 64, 1343-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2006.05.019
- Daniela OP da-Costa, Almir S Mauricio, Paulo AS de-Faria, et al (2012). Odontogenic tumors: a retrospective study of four Brazilian diagnostic pathology centers. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal, 17, 389-94
- De Matos FR, Nonaka CFW, Pinto LP, De Souza LB, De Almeida Freitas R (2012). Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: retrospective study of 15 cases with emphasis on histopathologic features. Head and neck pathology, 6, 430-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12105-012-0388-x
- Tissue microarray use for immunohistochemical study of ameloblastoma vol.45, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jop.12428
- Odontogenic tumors in Ethiopia: eight years retrospective study vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-017-0347-8
- Odontogenic tumors: analysis of 188 cases from Saudi Arabia vol.35, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5144/0256-4947.2015.146