- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Locally Advanced Breast Cancer in Jamaica: Prevalence, Disease Characteristics and Response to Preoperative Therapy
- Chin, Sheray Nicole (Department of Pathology, University of the West Indies) ;
- Green, Cheryl May Antoinette (Department of Pathology, University of the West Indies) ;
- Gordon-Strachan, Georgiana Marie (Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of the West Indies) ;
- Wharfe, Gilian Helen Frances (Department of Pathology, University of the West Indies)
- Published : 2014.04.01
Breast cancer is the most common cancer in Jamaican women. Locally advanced breast cancer (LABC) is associated with aggressive biology and poor prognosis, and has a predilection for African-American women. In this retrospective review, we assessed the prevalence of LABC as a breast cancer presentation in a population of mainly Afro-centric ethnicity, and determined disease characteristics and response to pre-operative chemotherapy. LABC was prevalent (20%), and had a low pathological response rate to pre-operative chemotherapy, with a high risk of disease recurrence. Increased utilization of breast cancer screening may help detect cancer at less advanced stages, and optimizing pre-operative chemotherapy is recommended to improve response rates and ultimately survival.
Breast cancer;locally advanced breast cancer;neoadjuvant chemotherapy;preoperative chemotherapy
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2005). Global cancer statistics 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Sant M, Allemani C, Berrino F, et al (2004). Breast carcinoma survival in Europe and the United States. Cancer, 100, 715-22. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20038
- Seidman H, Gelb SK, Silverberg E, et al (1987). Survival experience in the breast cancer detection demonstration project. CA Cancer J Clin, 37, 258-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.37.5.258
- Shirley SE, Sinclair PE, Stennett MA, et al (2010). The pathology of breast cancer in jamaica: the national public health laboratory study. West Indian Med J, 59, 177-81.
- Singletary SE, Allred C, Ashley P, et al (2002). Revision of the American joint committee on cancer staging system for breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 20, 3628-36. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2002.02.026
- Smith IC, Heys SD, Hutcheon AW, et al (2002). Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer significantly enhanced response to docetaxel. J Clin Oncol, 20, 1456-66. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.20.6.1456
- Hortobagyi GN, Ames FC, Buzdar AU, et al (1998). Management of stage III primary breast cancer with primary chemotherapy, surgery, and radiation therapy. Cancer, 62, 2507-16.
- Elledge RM, Clark GM, Chamness GC, Osborne CK (1994). Tumor biologic factors and breast cancer prognosis among white, hispanic, and black women in the United States. J Natl Cancer Inst, 86, 705-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/86.9.705
- Furberg H, Millikan R, Dressler L, Newman B, Geradts J (2001). Tumor characteristics in African American and white women. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 68, 33-43. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1017994726207
- Gibson TN, Hanchard B, Waugh N, McNaughton D (2010). Age-specific incidence of cancer in Kingston and St Andrew, Jamaica, 2003-2007. West Indian Med J, 59, 456-64.
- Kaufmann M, Hortobagyi GN, Goldhirsch A, et al (2006). Recommendations from an international expert panel on the use of neoadjuvant (primary) systemic treatment of operable breast cancer: an update. J Clin Oncol, 24, 1940-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.02.6187
- Kaufmann M, von Minckwitz G, Mamounas EP, et al (2012). Recommendations from an international consensus conference on the current status and future of neoadjuvant systemic therapy in primary breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol, 19, 1508-16. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-011-2108-2
- Kobetz E, Menard J, Barton B, et al (2010). Barriers to breast cancer screening among haitian immigrant women in little Haiti, Miami. J Immigrant Minority Health, 12, 520-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-010-9316-x
- Montagna E, Bagnardi V, Rotmensz N, et al (2010). Pathological complete response after preoperative systemic therapy and outcome: relevance of clinical and biologic baseline features. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 124, 689-99. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-010-1027-4
- Newman LA (2004). Management of patients with locally advanced breast cancer. Current Oncology Reports, 6, 53-61. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11912-996-0010-z
- Anderson WF, Chu KC, Chang S (2003). Inflammatory breast carcinoma and noninflammatory locally advanced breast carcinoma: distinct clinicopathologic entities, J Clin Oncol, 21, 2254-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.07.082
- Bear HD, Anderson S, Brown A, et al (2003). The effect on tumor response of adding sequential pre-operative docetaxel to preoperative doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide: preliminary results from national surgical adjuvant breast and bowel project protocol B-27. J Clin Oncol, 21, 4165-74. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.12.005
- Bird PA, Hill AG, Houssami N (2008). Poor hormone receptor expression in East African breast cancer: evidence of a biologically different disease? Ann Surg Oncol, 15, 1983-8. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-008-9900-7
- Carey LA, Perou CM, Livasy CA, et al (2006). Race, breast cancer subtypes, and survival in the carolina breast cancer study. JAMA, 295, 2492-502. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.21.2492
- Chia S, Swain SM, Byrd DR, Mankoff DA (2008). Locally advanced and inflammatory breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 26, 786-90. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.15.0243
- Chin SN, Green C, Gordon-Stachan G, Wharfe G (2014). Clinicopathological Characteristics of Breast Cancer in Jamaica. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, [Epub ahead of print].
- Dent R, Trudeau M, Pritchard KI, et al (2007). Triple-negative breast cancer: clinical features and patterns of recurrence. Clin Cancer Res, 13, 4429-34. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-3045
- Edge SB, Compton CC (2010). The American joint committee on cancer: the 7th edition of the AJCC cancer staging manual and the future of TNM. Ann Surg Oncol, 17, 1471-4. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-010-0985-4