- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Serum Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor-A (VEGF-A) as a Biomarker in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Head and Neck Patients Undergoing Chemoradiotherapy
- Srivastava, Vikas Kumar (Department of Radiotherapy, King George's Medical University) ;
- Gara, Rishi Kumar (Department of Endocrinology, Central Drug Research Institute) ;
- Rastogi, Namrata (Department of Endocrinology, Central Drug Research Institute) ;
- Mishra, Durga Prasad (Department of Endocrinology, Central Drug Research Institute) ;
- Ahmed, Mohd Kaleem (Department of Biochemistry, King George's Medical University) ;
- Gupta, Shalini (Department of Oral Pathology, King George's Medical University) ;
- Goel, Madhu Mati (Department of Pathology, King George's Medical University) ;
- Bhatt, Madan Lal Brahma (Department of Radiation Oncology, Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Institute of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2014.04.01
Background: To evaluate serum VEGF-A levels in squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck (SCCHN) patients and relationships with response to therapy. Materials and Methods: Serum VEGF-A levels in patients (n=72) treated with radiotherapy (RT) or radio-chemotherapy (RCT) and controls (n=40) were measured by ELISA. Results: Serum VEGF-A levels of the SCCHN cases were significantly higher (p=0.001) than in healthy controls, and in patients with positive as compared to negative lymph node status (p=0.004). Similarly, patients with advanced stage (Stage III-IV) disease had more greatly elevated levels of serum VEGF-A level than their early stage (Stage I-II) counterparts (p=0.001). In contrast, there was no significant difference (p=0.57) in serum level of VEGF-A in patients with advanced T-stage (T3-4) as compared to early stage (T1-2). Similarly, patients with distant metastasis had no significant (p=0.067) elevation in serum VEGF-A level as compared to non-metastatic disease. However, the non-responder patients had significantly higher serum VEGF-A level as compared to responders (p=0.001). Conclusions: Our results suggest that the serum VEGF-A level may be a useful biomarker for the prediction of response to therapy in SCCHN.
VEGF-A;squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck;serum levels;prognostic marker
- Wang YL, Feng SH, Zhu J, et al (2013). Impact of lymph node ratio on the survival of patients with hypopharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: a population-based analysis. PLoS One, 8, 56613. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0056613
- Wasif N, Ko CY, Farrell J, et al (2010). Impact of tumor grade on prognosis in pancreatic cancer: should we include grade in AJCC staging? Ann Surg Oncol, 17, 2312-20. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-010-1071-7
- Tang JH, Zhao JH, Lu JW, et al (2011). Circulating levels of angiogenic cytokines in advanced breast cancer patients with system chemotherapy and their potential value in monitoring disease course. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 137, 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-010-0859-y
- Teknos TN, Cox C, Yoo S, et al (2002). Elevated serum vascular endothelial growth factor and decreased survival in advanced laryngeal carcinoma. Head Neck, 24, 1004-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.10163
- Zhang SJ, Hu Y, Qian HL, et al (2013). Expression and significance of ER, PR, VEGF, CA15-3, CA125 and CEA in judging the prognosis of breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3937-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3937
- Zusterzeel PL, Span PN, Dijksterhuis MG, et al (2009). Serum vascular endothelial growth factor: a prognostic factor in cervical cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 135, 283-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-008-0442-y
- Shang ZJ, Li JR, Li ZB (2002). Circulating levels of vascular endothelial growth factor in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 31, 495-8. https://doi.org/10.1054/ijom.2002.0284
- Riedel F, Gotte K, Schwalb J, et al (2000). Serum levels of vascular endothelial growth factor in patients with head and neck cancer. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol, 257, 332-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004059900208
- Rubin Grandis J, Melhem MF, Gooding WE, et al (1998). Levels of TGF-alpha and EGFR protein in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma and patient survival. J Natl Cancer Inst, 90, 824-32. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/90.11.824
- Sellappa S, Balakrishnan M, Raman S, Palanisamy S (2009). Induction of micronuclei in buccal mucosa on chewing a mixture of betel leaf, areca nut and tobacco. J Oral Sci, 51, 289-92. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.51.289
- Singh A, Gautam KA, Dalela D, et al (2013). Plasma vascular endothelial growth factors A and C in patients undergoing prostatic biopsy and TURP for suspected prostatic neoplasia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2053-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.2053
- Sobin LH, Hermanek P, Hutter RV (1988). TNM classification of malignant tumors. A comparison between the new (1987) and the old editions. Cancer, 61, 2310-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19880601)61:11<2310::AID-CNCR2820611127>3.0.CO;2-X
- Song JI, Grandis JR (2000). STAT signaling in head and neck cancer. Oncogene, 19, 2489-95. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1203483
- Song XY, Zhou SJ, Xiao N, et al (2013). Research on the relationship between serum levels of inflammatory cytokines and non-small cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4765-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4765
- Syrigos KN, Karachalios D, Karapanagiotou EM, et al (2009). Head and neck cancer in the elderly: an overview on the treatment modalities. Cancer Treat Rev, 35, 237-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2008.11.002
- Lv X, Xiang YQ, Cao SM, et al (2010). Prospective validation of the prognostic value of elevated serum vascular endothelial growth factor in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma: more distant metastases and shorter overall survival after treatment. Head Neck, 33, 780-5.
- Liang J, Qian Y, Xu D, Yin Q, Pan HJ (2013). Serum tumor markers, hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha HIF-1alpha and vascular endothelial growth factor, in patients with non-small cell lung cancer before and after intervention. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3851-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3851
- Linder C, Linder S, Munck-Wikland E, et al (1998). Evaluation of tissue and serum VEGF in patients with head and neck carcinoma. Angiogenesis, 2, 365-72. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009211605162
- Lu M, Stephen JK, Chen KM, Havard S, Worsham MJ (2011). Distinct Gene Profiles for Tumor and Non-Tumor Tissue in the Head and Neck: An Analytical Approach. J Cancer Sci Ther, 1, 1.
- Mineta H, Miura K, Ogino T, et al (2000). Prognostic value of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Br J Cancer, 83, 775-81. https://doi.org/10.1054/bjoc.2000.1357
- Mohammed RA, Green A, El-Shikh S, et al (2007). Prognostic significance of vascular endothelial cell growth factors -A, -C and -D in breast cancer and their relationship with angio- and lymphangiogenesis. Br J Cancer, 96, 1092-100. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6603678
- Niu G, Chen X (2010). Vascular endothelial growth factor as an anti-angiogenic target for cancer therapy. Curr Drug Targets, 11, 1000-17. https://doi.org/10.2174/138945010791591395
- Price KA, Cohen EE (2012). Current treatment options for metastatic head and neck cancer. Curr Treat Options Oncol, 13, 35-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11864-011-0176-y
- Pulte D, Brenner H (2010). Changes in survival in head and neck cancers in the late 20th and early 21st century: a period analysis. Oncologist, 15, 994-1001. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2009-0289
- Katanyoo K, Chantarasri A, Chongtanakon M, Rongsriyam K, Tantivatana T (2011). Pretreatment levels of serum vascular endothelial growth factor do not correlate with outcome in patients with locally advanced cervical cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 699-702.
- Huang YJ, Qi WX, He AN, Sun YJ, Shen Z, Yao Y (2013). Prognostic value of tissue vascular endothelial growth factor expression in bladder cancer: a meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 645-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.645
- Jefferies S, Eeles R, Goldgar D, et al (1999). The role of genetic factors in predisposition to squamous cell cancer of the head and neck. Br J Cancer, 79, 865-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6690138
- Jubb AM, Pham TQ, Hanby AM, et al (2004). Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor, hypoxia inducible factor 1alpha, and carbonic anhydrase IX in human tumours. J Clin Pathol, 57, 504-12. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.2003.012963
- Kemik O, Kemik AS, Sumer A (2011). Preoperative vascular endothelial growth factor levels as a prognostic marker for stage II or III colorectal cancer patients. Cancer Growth and Metastasis, 4, 25-32.
- Koukourakis MI, Limberis V, Tentes I, et al (2011). Serum VEGF levels and tissue activation of VEGFR2/KDR receptors in patients with breast and gynecologic cancer. Cytokine, 53, 370-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cyto.2010.12.007
- Kummel S, Eggemann H, Luftner D, et al (2006). Changes in the circulating plasma levels of VEGF and VEGF-D after adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with breast cancer and 1 to 3 positive lymph nodes. Anticancer Res, 26, 1719-26.
- Le QT, Sutphin PD, Raychaudhuri S, et al (2003). Identification of osteopontin as a prognostic plasma marker for head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Clin Cancer Res, 9, 59-67.
- Bacci G, Ferrari S, Mercuri M, et al (1998). Predictive factors for local recurrence in osteosarcoma: 540 patients with extremity tumors followed for minimum 2.5 years after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Acta Orthop Scand, 69, 230-6. https://doi.org/10.3109/17453679809000921
- Hocking JS, Stein A, Conway EL, et al (2011). Head and neck cancer in Australia between 1982 and 2005 show increasing incidence of potentially HPV-associated oropharyngeal cancers. Br J Cancer, 104, 886-91. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6606091
- Akdeniz O, Akduman D, Haksever M, Ozkarakas H, Muezzinoglu B (2013). Relationships between clinical behavior of laryngeal squamous cell carcinomas and expression of VEGF, MMP-9 and E-cadherin. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5301-10. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5301
- Anuradha V, Anand BB, Suresh AV, et al (2013). Palliative chemotherapy in head and neck squamous cell cancer - What is best in Indian population? A time without symptoms, treatment toxicity score based study. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol, 34, 11-5. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-5851.113404
- Bachtiary B, Selzer E, Knocke TH, Potter R, Obermair A (2002). Serum VEGF levels in patients undergoing primary radiotherapy for cervical cancer: impact on progression-free survival. Cancer Lett, 179, 197-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(01)00872-2
- Caballero M, Grau JJ, Blanch JL, et al (2007). Serum vascular endothelial growth factor as a predictive factor in metronomic (weekly) Paclitaxel treatment for advanced head and neck cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 133, 1143-8. https://doi.org/10.1001/archotol.133.11.1143
- De Schutter H, Landuyt W, Verbeken E, et al (2005). The prognostic value of the hypoxia markers CA IX and GLUT 1 and the cytokines VEGF and IL 6 in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma treated by radiotherapy +/- chemotherapy. BMC Cancer, 5, 42. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-5-42
- Hong DY, Lee BJ, Lee JC, et al (2009). Expression of VEGF, HGF, IL-6, IL-8, MMP-9, telomerase in peripheral blood of patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol, 2, 186-92. https://doi.org/10.3342/ceo.2009.2.4.186
- Eto M, Kodama S, Nomi N, Uemura N, Suzuki M (2007). Clinical significance of elevated osteopontin levels in head and neck cancer patients. Auris Nasus Larynx, 34, 343-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anl.2006.11.012
- De Vita F, Orditura M, Lieto E, et al (2004). Elevated perioperative serum vascular endothelial growth factor levels in patients with colon carcinoma. Cancer, 100, 270-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11911
- Dvorak HF (2002) Vascular permeability factor/vascular endothelial growth factor: a critical cytokine in tumor angiogenesis and a potential target for diagnosis and therapy. J Clin Oncol, 20, 4368-80. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2002.10.088
- Elango JK, Gangadharan P, Sumithra S, Kuriakose MA (2006). Trends of head and neck cancers in urban and rural India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 108-12.
- Farkkila A, Pihlajoki M, Tauriala H, et al (2011). Serum vascular endothelial growth factor A (VEGF) is elevated in patients with ovarian granulosa cell tumor (GCT), and VEGF inhibition by bevacizumab induces apoptosis in GCT in vitro. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 96, 1973-81. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2011-1812
- Ferris RL, Xi L, Raja S, et al (2005). Molecular staging of cervical lymph nodes in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer Res, 65, 2147-56. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-3717
- Hashibe M, Brennan P, Benhamou S, et al (2007). Alcohol drinking in never users of tobacco, cigarette smoking in never drinkers, and the risk of head and neck cancer: pooled analysis in the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology Consortium. J Natl Cancer Inst, 99, 777-89. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djk179
- Novel DOX-MTX Nanoparticles Improve Oral SCC Clinical Outcome by Down Regulation of Lymph Dissemination Factor VEGF-C Expression in vivo: Oral and IV Modalities vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6227
- Pathologic Response During Chemo-radiotherapy and Variation of Serum VEGF Levels Could Predict Effects of Chemo-Radiotherapy in Patients with Esophageal Cancer vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1111
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Implications of the Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Family in Cancer vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1677
- Developing a deeper insight into reproductive biomarkers vol.44, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5653/cerm.2017.44.4.159
- The microRNA-375 as a potentially promising biomarker to predict the prognosis of patients with head and neck or esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: a meta-analysis pp.1434-4726, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-019-05325-8