- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Radio-Sensitization by Piper longumine of Human Breast Adenoma MDA-MB-231 Cells in Vitro
- Yao, Jian-Xin (Department of Medical Imaging, Nanjing Health college of Jiangsu Union Technical Institute) ;
- Yao, Zhi-Feng (Department of Radiation Oncology, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Li, Zhan-Feng (Department of Medical Imaging, Nanjing Health college of Jiangsu Union Technical Institute) ;
- Liu, Yong-Biao (Department of Radiation Oncology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University)
- Published : 2014.04.01
Background: The current study investigated the effects of Piper longumine on radio-sensitization of human breast cancer MDA-MB-231 cells and underlying mechanisms. Materials and Methods: Human breast cancer MDA-MB-231 cells were cultured in vitro and those in logarithmic growth phase were selected for experiments divided into four groups: control, X-ray exposed, Piper longumine, and Piper longumine combined with X-rays. Conogenic assays were performed to determine the radio-sensitizing effects. Cell survival curves were fitted by single-hit multi-target model and then the survival fraction (SF), average lethal dose (
Piperlongumine;MDA-MB-231cells line;radiation enhancement;apoptosis;Bax;Bcl-2
Supported by : Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions, Innovative Medical Team and Leading Talent of Jiangsu Province
- Zou W, Liu X, Yue P, et al (2004). c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase-mediated up-regulation of death receptor 5 contributes to induction of apoptosis by the novel synthetic triterpenoid methyl-2-cyano-3, 12-dioxooleana-1, 9-dien-28-oate in human lung cancer cells. Cancer Res, 64, 7570-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-1238
- Zhang YX, Guzalnur A, Jun W, et al (2014). Mechanisms of Hela cell apoptosis induced by abnormals avda munziq total phenolics combined with chemotherapeutic agents. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 743-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.743
- Song HY, Deng XH, Yuan GY, et al (2014). Expression of bcl-2 and p53 in induction of esophageal cancer cell apoptosis by ECRG2 in combination with cisplatin. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1397-401. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1397
- Rodrigues RV, Lanznaster D, Longhi Balbinot DT, et al (2009). Antinociceptive effect of crude extract, fractions and three alkaloids obtained from fruits of Piper tuberculatum. Biol Pharm Bull, 32, 1809-12. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.32.1809
- Raj L, IdeT, Gurkar AU, et al (2011). Selective killing of cancer cells by a small molecule targeting the stress response to ROS. Nature, 475, 231-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature10167
- Sekine I, Shimizu C, Nishio K, et al (2009). A literature review of molecular markers predictive of clinical response to cytotoxic chemotherapy in patients with breast cancer. Int J Clin Oncol, 14, 112-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10147-008-0813-z
- Ueda S, Masutani H, Nakamura H, et al (2002). Redox control of cell death. Antioxid Redox Signal, 4, 405-14. https://doi.org/10.1089/15230860260196209
- Valko M, Leibfritz D, Moncol J, et al (2007). Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol, 39, 44-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2006.07.001
- Yu J, Zhou XM, He XS, et al (2011). Curcumin induces apoptosis involving bax/bcl-2 in human hepatoma SMMC-7721 cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1925-9.
- Yao ZF, Yao JX, He X, et al (2013). Experimental study of piperlongumine inducing apoptosis of human breast adenoma MDA-MB-231 cells. Chinese-German J Clin Oncol, 12, 319-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10330-013-1144-8
- Yao ZF, Yao JX, Liu YB (2013). Antitumor effect of piplartine and its mechanism. Int J Oncol, 40, 259-63.
- Yao JX, Yao ZF, Liu YB (2013). Radiation enhancement of cetuximab on human breast adenoma MDA-MB-231 cells line. Chin J Cancer Prev Treat, 20, 898-903.
- Kong EH, Kim YJ, Kim YJ, et al (2008). Piplartine induces caspase-mediated apoptosis in PC-3 human prostate cancer cells. Oncol Rep, 20, 785-92.
- Hara T, Omura-Minamisawa M, Chao C et al (2005). Bcl-2 inhibitors potentiate the cytotoxic effects of radiation in Bcl-2 over-expressing radio-resistant tumor cells. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 61, 517-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2004.10.008
- Jabs T (1999). Reactive oxygen intermediates asmediators of programmed cell death in plants and animals. Biochem Pharmacol, 57, 231-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-2952(98)00227-5
- Ji Z, Tang QJ, Zhang JS, et al (2011). Oridonin-induced apoptosis in SW620 human colorectal adenocarcinoma cells. Oncol Lett, 2, 1303-7. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2011.408
- Lee SE, Park BS, Bayman P, et al (2007). Suppression of ochratoxin biosynthesis by naturally occurring alkaloids. Food Addit Contam, 24, 391-7. https://doi.org/10.1080/02652030601053147
- Meyn RE, Stephens LC, Ang KK, et al (1993). Heterogeneity in the development of apoptosis in irradiated routine tumors of different histologies. Int J Radiat Biol Phys, 64, 583. https://doi.org/10.1080/09553009314551801
- Mrtrailler-Ruchonnet I, Pagano A, Carnesecchi, et al (2007). Bcl-2 protects against hyperoxia-induced apoptosis through inhibition of the mitochondria-dependent pathway. Free Radic Biol Med, 42, 1062-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2007.01.008
- Meng FM, Yang JB, Yang CH, et al (2012). Vitexicarpin induces apoptosis in human prostate carcinoma PC-3 cells through G2/M phase arrest. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6369-74. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6369
- Pompella A, Visvikis A, Paolicchi A et al (2003). The changing faces of glutathione, a cellular protagonist. Biochem Pharmacol, 66, 1499-503. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-2952(03)00504-5
- Park BS, Son DJ, Park YH, et al (2007). Antiplatelet effects of acidamides isolated from the fruits of Piper longum L. Phytomedicine, 14, 853-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2007.06.011
- Corvo R, Antognoni P, Sanguineti G (2001). Biological predictors of response to radiotherapy in head and neck cancer: recent advances and emerging perspectives. Tumor, 87, 355-63.
- Bauer KR, Brown M, Cress RD, et al (2007). Descriptive analysis of estrogen receptor (ER)-negative, progesterone receptor (PR)-negative, and HER2-negative invasive breast cancer, the so-called triple-negative phenotype: a population-based study from the California cancer Registry. Cancer, 109, 1721-28. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22618
- Bezerra FCF, Filho JTS, de Oliveira Souza LE (2007). Piplartine, an amide alkaloid from Piper tuberculatum, presents anxiolytic and antidepressant effects in mice. Phytomedicine, 14, 605-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2006.12.015
- Bezerra DP, Militao GC, de Castro FO, et al (2007). Piplartine induces inhibition of leukemia cell proliferation triggering both apoptosis and necrosis pathways. Toxicol In Vitro, 21, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2006.07.007
- Dent R, Trudeau M, Priitchard KI, et al (2007). Triple-negative breast cancer: clinical features and patterns of recurrence. Clin Cancer Res, 13, 4429-34. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-3045
- Durackova Z (2010). Some current insights into oxidative stress. Physiol Res, 59, 459-69.
- de Moraes J, Nascimento C, Lopes POMV, et al (2011). Schistosoma mansoni: In vitro schistosomicidal activity of piplartine. Exp Parasitol, 127, 357-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exppara.2010.08.021
- Fontenele JB, Leal LK, Silveira ER, et al (2009). Antiplatelet effects of piplartine, an alkaloid isolated from Piper tuberculatum: possible involvement of cyclooxygenase blockade and antioxidant activity. Pharm Pharmacol, 61, 511-5. https://doi.org/10.1211/jpp.61.04.0014
- Grant CM (2001). Role of the glutathione/glutaredoxin and thioredoxin systems in yeast growth and response to stress conditions. Mol Microbiol, 39, 533-41. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2958.2001.02283.x
- Dealing Naturally with Stumbling Blocks on Highways and Byways of TRAIL Induced Signaling vol.15, pp.19, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8041
- Piperlongumine-Induced Phosphatidylserine Translocation in the Erythrocyte Membrane vol.6, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins6102975
- Radiosensitization Effects of a Zataria multiflora Extract on Human Glioblastoma Cells vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7285
- MicroRNA-190b confers radio-sensitivity through negative regulation of Bcl-2 in gastric cancer cells vol.39, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10529-016-2273-2
- Piperlongumine Suppresses Proliferation of Human Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma through Cell Cycle Arrest, Apoptosis and Senescence vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17040616
- Targeted Inhibition of Glutamine-Dependent Glutathione Metabolism Overcomes Death Resistance Induced by Chronic Cycling Hypoxia vol.25, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1089/ars.2015.6589
- Hypoxic Radioresistance: Can ROS Be the Key to Overcome It? vol.11, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers11010112