- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Inotodiol Inhabits Proliferation and Induces Apoptosis through Modulating Expression of cyclinE, p27, bcl-2, and bax in Human Cervical Cancer HeLa Cells
- Zhao, Li-Wei (Department of Pathology, Jilin Medical College) ;
- Zhong, Xiu-Hong (Department of Pathology, Jilin Medical College) ;
- Yang, Shu-Yan (Department of Pathology, Jilin Medical College) ;
- Zhang, Yi-Zhong (Department of Pathology, Jilin Medical College) ;
- Yang, Ning-Jiang (Department of Pathology, Affiliated Hospital of Jilin Medical College)
- Published : 2014.04.01
Inonotus obliquus is a medicinal mushroom that has been used as an effective agent to treat various diseases such as diabetes, tuberculosis and cancer. Inotodiol, an included triterpenoid shows significant anti-tumor effect. However, the mechanisms have not been well documented. In this study, we aimed to explore the effect of inotodiol on proliferation and apoptosis in human cervical cancer HeLa cells and investigated the underlying molecular mechanisms. HeLa cells were treated with different concentrations of inotodiol. The MTT assay was used to evaluate cell proliferating ability, flow cytometry (FCM) was employed for cell cycle analysis and cell apoptosis, while expression of cyclinE, p27, bcl-2 and bax was detected by immunocytochemistry. Proliferation of HeLa cells was inhibited by inotodiolin a dose-dependent manner at 24h (r=0.9999, p<0.01). A sub-
Cervical cancer;inotodiol;cell cycle;cyclinE;p27;bcl-2;bax
Supported by : Natural Science Foundation of Jilin Province, Science Foundation of Education Departmnet of Jilin Province
- Zhong XH, Ren K, Lu SJ, et al (2009). Progress of research on Inonotus obliquus. Chin J Integr Med, 15, 156-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11655-009-0156-2
- Zhong XH, Wang LB, Sun DZ (2011). Effects of inotodiol extracts from inonotus obliquus on proliferation cycle and apoptotic gene of human lung adenocarcinoma cell line A549. Chin J Integr, 17, 218-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11655-011-0670-x
- Suryadinata R, Sadowski M, Steel R, et al (2011). Cyclin-dependent kinase-mediated phosphorylation of RBP1 and pRb promotes their dissociation to mediate release of the SAP30.mSin3.HDAC transcriptional repressor complex. J Biol Chem, 286, 5108-18. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M110.198473
- Ramachandran S, Kwon KY, Shin SJ, et al (2008). Cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27Kip1 controls growth and cell cycle progression in human uterine leiomyoma. J Korean Med Sci, 23, 667-73. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2008.23.4.667
- Slingerlad J, Pagano M (2000). Regulation of the CDK inhibitor p27 and its deregulation in cancer. J Cell Physiol, 183, 10-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4652(200004)183:1<10::AID-JCP2>3.0.CO;2-I
- Song FQ, Liu Y, Kong XS, et al (2013). Progress on understanding the anticancer mechanisms of medicinal mushroom: Inonotus obliquus. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1571-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1571
- van Meir H, Kenter GG, Burggraaf J, et al (2014). The need for improvement of the treatment of advanced and metastatic cervical cancer, the rationale for combined Chemo-immunotherapy. Anticancer Agents Med Chem, 14, 190-203. https://doi.org/10.2174/18715206113136660372
- Vermeulen K, Van Bockstaele DR, Berneman ZN (2003). The cell cycle: a review of regulation, deregulation and therapeutic targets in cancer. Cell Prolif, 36, 131-49. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2184.2003.00266.x
Youn MJ, Kim JK, Park SY, et al (2008). Chaga mushroom (Inonotus obliquus) induces
$G_0/G_1$arrest and apoptosis in human hepatoma HepG2 cells. World J Gastroenterol, 14, 511-7. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.14.511
- Youn MJ, Kim JK, Park SY, et al (2009). Potential anticancer properties of the water extract of Inonotus obliquus by induction of apoptosis in melanoma B16-F10 cells. J Ethnopharmacol, 21, 221-8.
- Zhao FQ, Piao HS (2006). Studies of anti-mutation active constituents from Inonotus obliquus. Chinese Traditional and Herbal Drugs, 37, 1777-80.
- Zhao FQ, Yan L, Cui XH,et al (2012). Triterpenoids from Inonotus obliquus protect mice against oxidative damage induced by CCl4. Yao Xue Xue Bao, 47, 680-84.
- Krajewski S, Krajewska M, Shabaik A, et al (1994). Immunohistochemical determination of in vivo distribution of Bax, adominant inhibitor of Bcl-2. Am J Pathol, 145, 1323-36.
- Lim S, Kaldis P (2013). Cdks, cyclins and CKIs: roles beyond cell cycle regulation. Development, 140, 3079-93. https://doi.org/10.1242/dev.091744
- Kanthan R, Senger JL, Diudea D (2010), Malignant mixed Mullerian tumors of the uterus: histopathological evaluation of cell cycle and apoptotic regulatory proteins. World J Surg Oncol, 19, 8, 60.
- Koehn FE, Carter GT (2005). The evolving role of natural products in drug discovery. Nat Rev Drug Discov, 4, 206-20. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd1657
- Ma L, Chen H, Dong P, Lu X (2013). Anti-inflammatory and anticancer activities of extracts and compounds from the mushroom Inonotus obliquus. Food Chem, 139, 503-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.01.030
- Mishra BB, Tiwari VK (2011). Natural products: An evolving role in future drug discovery. Eur J Med Chem, 46, 4769-807. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2011.07.057
- Nakajima Y, Nishida H, Matsugo S, et al (2009). Cancer cell cytotoxicity of cxtracts and small phenolic compounds from chaga [Inonotus obliquus (persoon) Pilat]. J Med Food, 12, 501-7. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2008.1149
- Nakata T, Yamada T, Taji S, et al (2007). Structure determination of inonotsuoxides A and B and in vivo anti-tumor promoting activity of inotodiol from the sclerotia of Inonotus obliquus. Bioorg Med Chem, 15, 257-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmc.2006.09.064
- Nomura M, Takahashi T, Uesugi A, et al (2008). Inotodiol, a lanostane triterpenoid, from Inonotus obliquus inhibits cell proliferation through caspase-3-dependent apoptosis. Anticancer Res, 28, 2691-6.
- Pachon G, Rasoanaivo H, Azqueta A, et al (2007). Anticancer effect of a new benzophenanthridine isolated from Zanthoxylum madagascariense (Rutaceline). In Vivo, 21, 417-22.
- Chung MJ, Chung C-K, Jeong Y, et al (2010). Anticancer activity of subfractions containing pure compounds of Chaga mushroom (Inonotus obliquus) extract in human cancer cells and in Balbc/c mice bearing Sarcoma-180 cells. Nutr Res Pract, 4, 177-82. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2010.4.3.177
Chung MJ, Walker PA, Brown RW, et al (2005). Zinc-mediated gene expression offers protection against
$H_2O_2$-induced cytotoxicity. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol, 205, 225-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2004.10.008
- Darzynkiewicz Z, Bedner E, Smolewski P (2001). Flow cytometry in analysis of cell cycle and apoptosis. Semin Hematol, 38, 179-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0037-1963(01)90051-4
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Ham SS, Kim SH, Moon SY, et al (2009). Antimutagenic effects of subfractions of Chaga Mushroom (Inonotus obliquus) extract. Mutat Res, 672, 55-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2008.10.002
- KahlosK (1987). Antitumor activity of some compounds and fractions from an n-hexane extract of Inonotus obliquus. Acta Pharm Fenn, 96, 33-40.
- Cervical Cancer Gene Therapy by Gene Loaded PEG-PLA Nanomedicine vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4915
- Cytotoxicity of Trichoderma spp. Cultural Filtrate Against Human Cervical and Breast Cancer Cell Lines vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7229
- Hepatocyte Growth Factor Protects Human Mesangial Cells Against Apoptosis Induced by Lead Damage vol.162, pp.1-3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-014-0103-8
- Overexpression of Cyclin E and its Low Molecular Weight Isoforms Cooperate with Loss of p53 in Promoting Oncogenic Properties of MCF-7 Breast Cancer Cells vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7575
- The restraining effect of baicalein and U0126 on human cervical cancer cell line HeLa vol.16, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2017.6648
- The Mechanism of Computed Tomography-Guided 125I Particle in Treating Lung Cancer vol.23, pp.1643-3750, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12659/MSM.898526
- ), a Future Potential Medicinal Fungus in Oncology? A Chemical Study and a Comparison of the Cytotoxicity Against Human Lung Adenocarcinoma Cells (A549) and Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells (BEAS-2B) vol.17, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735418757912