- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Histopathological Features of Colorectal Cancer in Al-Madinah Region of Saudi Arabia: 8 Years Experience
- Albasri, Abdulkader (Department of Pathology, Taibah University) ;
- Yosef, Hala (Department of Pathology, Taibah University) ;
- Hussainy, Akbar Shah (Department of Pathology, Taibah University) ;
- Sultan, Saud Ahmad (Department of Pathology, Taibah University) ;
- Alhujaily, Ahmed (Department of Pathology, King Fahad Hospital)
- 발행 : 2014.04.01
Background: To determine the histopathological pattern of colorectal cancer (CRC) among Saudi patients with a view to determine various epidemiological and histopathological features of the disease. Materials and Methods: We retrospectively collected and analyzed the demographic and histopathological data of all the patients with CRC diagnosed at King Fahad Hospital, Madinah, Saudi Arabia over a period of 8 years from January 2006 to December 2013. Results: Of 324 cases of CRC reviewed, 200 cases (61.7%) were males while 124 cases (38.3%) were females giving a male to female ratio of 1.6: 1. Age of the patients ranged from 20 to 100 years with a mean age 57.9 years. The rectosigmoid region was the most frequent anatomical site (13.6%) involved and adenocarcinoma (88.6%) was the most common histopathological type. The majority of adenocarcinomas (87.3%) were moderately differentiated. A total of 47.8% of patients were in stage B and 43.5% of patients were in stage C of the Aster-Coller classification. Most patients (75.7%) presented with large size tumors. Lymphovascular invasion and lymph node metastasis were recorded in 67.9% and 43.6% of cases, respectively. Conclusions: Colorectal cancer is common in our environment and the majority of patients present late with an advanced stage. Screening programs regarding CRC should be enhanced to improve the outcome of the patients.
Colorectal carcinoma;histopathology;Madinah;Saudi Arabia
- Sant M, Allemani C, Santaquilani M et al. (2009) EUROCARE-4. Survival of cancer patients diagnosed in 1995-1999. Results and commentary. Eur J Cancer, 45, 931-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.11.018
- Safaee A, Fatemi SR, Ashtari S, et al (2012). Four years incidence rate of colorectal cancer in Iran: a survey of national cancer registry data-implications for screening. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2695-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2695
- Salim EI, Moore MA, Al-Lawati JA, et al (2009). Cancer epidemiology and control in the arab world-past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 3-16.
- Salim EI, Moore MA, Bener A, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology in South-West Asia-past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 33-48.
- Saudi Cancer Incidence Report (2012). Saudi Arabia 2009. Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Ministry of Health, Saudi Cancer Registry.
- Sibiani AR, Shaheen M, Fallatah HI, et al (2011). Colorectal cancer in Saudi Arabia King Abdul Aziz University Hospital: A five year experience. J Med Medical Sci, 2, 1126-30.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2013). Cancer Statistics, 2013. CA Cancer J Clin, 63, 11-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21166
- Mosli MH, Al-Ahwal MS (2012). Does the increasing trend of colorectal cancer incidence in Jeddah reflect a rise in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6285-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6285
- Kansakar P, Singh Y (2012). Changing trends of colorectal carcinoma in Nepalese young adults. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3209-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3209
- Kotepui M, Piwkham D, Songsri A, Charoenkijkajorn L (2013). Histopathology analysis of benign colorectal diseases and colorectal cancer in Hatyai Hospital, Songkhla, Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2667-71. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2667
- Mosli MH, Al-Ahwal MS (2012). Colorectal cancer in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: need for screening. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3809-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3809
- Mosli M, Al-Ahwal (2012). The Epidemiology of Colorectal Cancer in The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: A retrospective analysis of Data from National Saudi Cancer Registry (SCR) from 2001-2006. Presented as Abstract Canadian DDW 2012.
- Omranipour R, Doroudian R, Mahmoodzadeh H (2012). Anatomical distribution of colorectal carcinoma in iran: a retrospective 15-yr study to evaluate rightward shift. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 279-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.279
- Onyekwere CA, Odiagah JN, Ogunleye OO, Chibututu C, Lesi OA (2013). Colonoscopy practice in Lagos, Nigeria: a report of an audit. Diagn Ther Endosc, 798651, 1-6.
- Qayyum A, Sawan AS (2009). Profile of colonic biopsies in King Abdul Aziz University Hospital, Jeddah. J Pak Med Assoc, 59, 608-11.
- Quach DT, Nguyen OT (2012). Clinical, endoscopic and pathogical characteristics of early-onset colorectal cancer in Vietnamese. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1767-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1767
- Rashid MRA, Aziz AFA, Ahmad S, Shah SA, Sagap I (2009). Colorectal cancer patients in a tertiary referral centre in Malaysia: a five year follow-up review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 1163-6.
- Goh KL, Quek KF, Yeo GT, et al (2005). Colorectal cancer in Asians: a demographic and anatomic survey in Malaysian patients undergoing colonoscopy. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 22, 859-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2005.02646.x
- Fazeli MS, Adel MG, Lebaschi AH (2007). Colorectal carcinoma: a retrospective, descriptive study of age, gender, subsite, stage, and differentiation in Iran from 1995 to 2001 as observed in Tehran University. Dis Colon Rectum, 50, 990-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10350-007-0248-z
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al (2013). GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11 (Internet). Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- Fuszek P, Horvath HC, Speer G, et al (2006). Location and age at onset of colorectal cancer in Hungarian patients between 1993 and 2004. The high number of advanced cases supports the need for a colorectal cancer screening program in Hungary. Anticancer Res, 26, 527-31.
- Guraya SY, Eltinay OE (2006). Higher prevalence in young population and rightward shift of colorectal carcinoma. Saudi Med J, 27, 1391-3.
- Hajmanoochehri F, Asefzadeh S, Kazemifar AM, Ebtehaj M (2014). Clinicopathological features of colon adenocarcinoma in Qazvin, Iran: A 16 year study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 951-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.951
- Hav M, Eav S, Ky V, et al (2011). Colorectal cancer in young Cambodians. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1001-5.
- Ibrahim EM, Zeeneldin AA, El-Khodary TR, Al-Gahmi AM, Bin Sadiq BM (2008). Past, present and future of colorectal cancer in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Saudi J Gastroenterol, 14, 178-82. https://doi.org/10.4103/1319-3767.43275
- Jemal A, Bray F, Forman D, et al. (2012) Cancer burden in Africa and opportunities for prevention. Cancer, 118, 4372-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.27410
- Bhurgri Y, Khan T, Kayani N, et al (2011). Incidence and current trends of colorectal malignancies in an unscreened, low risk Pakistan population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 703-8.
- Amin TT, Suleman W, Al Taissan AA, et al (2012). Patients' profile, clinical presentations and histopathological features of colo-rectal cancer in Al Hassa region, Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 211-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.211
- Ansari R, Mahdavinia M, Sadjadi A, et al (2006). Incidence and age distribution of colorectal cancer in Iran: results of a population-based cancer registry. Cancer Lett, 240, 143-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2005.09.004
- Azadeh S, Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Fatem SR, et al (2008). Colorectal cancer in Iran: an epidemiological study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 123-6.
- Bowel Cancer incidence Statistics (2014). http://www.cancerresearchuk.org. Cancer Research UK.
- Colorectal Cancer Stastitcs (2013). World Cancer Research Fund International.
- Edwards BK, Ward E, Kohler BA, et al (2010). Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975-2006, featuring colorectal cancer trends and impact of interventions (risk factors, screening, and treatment) to reduce future rates. Cancer, 116, 544-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24760
- Elbatea H, Enaba M, Elkassas G, El-Kalla F, Elfert AA (2011). Indications and outcome of colonoscopy in the middle of Nile delta of Egypt. Dig Dis Sci, 56, 2120-3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-010-1538-1
- Aljebreen AM (2007). Clinico-pathological patterns of colorectal cancer in Saudi Arabia: younger with an advanced stage presentation. Saudi J Gastroenterol, 13, 84-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/1319-3767.32183
- Al-Diab AR, Qureshi S, Al Saleh KA, et al (2012). Studies on colorectal cancers in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: A portrait through pre and post-millennium. Res J Med Sci, 6, 203-7.
- Al-Ahwal MS, Abdo Al-Ghamdi A (2005). Pattern of colorectal cancer at two hospitals in the western region of Saudi Arabia. Saudi J Gastroenterol, 11, 164-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/1319-3767.33320
- Al-Ahwal MS, Shafik YH, Al-Ahwal HM (2013). First national survival data for colorectal cancer among Saudis between 1994 and 2004: what's next? BMC Public Health, 13, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-1
- Histopathological Profile of Benign Colorectal Diseases in Al-Madinah Region of Saudi Arabia vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7673
- A Review of the Incidence of Colorectal Cancer in the Middle East vol.In press, pp.In press, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5812/acr.46292
- Constitutional mismatch repair deficiency and Lynch syndrome among consecutive Arab Bedouins with colorectal cancer in Israel pp.1573-7292, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10689-017-0009-7