- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Social Support and Quality of Life in Turkish Patients with Gynecologic Cancer
- Nazik, Evsen (Obstetric and Gynecologic Nursing, Department of Nursing, Adana Health School, Cukurova University) ;
- Nazik, Hakan (Department of Obstetric and Gynecologic, Adana Numune Education Hospital) ;
- Ozdemir, Funda (Nursing Department, Ankara University Health Sciences Faculty) ;
- Soydan, Selen (Gynecologic Oncology Clinic, Balcali Hospital, Cukurova University)
- Published : 2014.04.01
The aim of this study was to determine the level of social support and quality of life in Turkish patients with gynecologic cancer using a cross-sectional survey design. A total of 108 patients admitted to the gynecologic oncology clinic at a university hospital from September 2011 to January 2012 were included. Data were collected using patient information forms, the Multidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support (MSPSS) and The Quality of Life-Cancer Survivors Instrument (QOL-CS). Average age was
Gynecologic cancer;quality of life;social support;Turkey
- TopCu S ve BOluktas RP (2012). Research on the life quality of patients having stroke and effects of social support into life quality. New Med J, 29, 159-64.
- Tahmasebi M, Yarandi F, Eftekhar Z, et al (2007). Quality of life in gynecologic cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 591-92.
- Tan M, Karabulutlu E (2005). Social support and hopelessness in Turkish patients with cancer. Cancer Nurs, 28, 236-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200505000-00013
- Thornton LM, Levin AO, Dorfman CS, et al (2013). Emotions and social relationships for breast and gynecologic patients: a qualitative study of coping with recurrence. Psychooncology, (Epub ahead of print).
- Turkey Health Ministry Statistics Yearbook http://sbu.saglik.gov.tr/ekutuphane/kitaplar/istaturk2012.pdf.
- Zimet G, Dahlem N (1988). The multidimensional sale of perceived social support. J Personality Assesment, 52, 30-41. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa5201_2
- Ozaras G, Ozyurda F (2010). Quality of life and influencing factors in patients with a gynaecologic cancer diagnosis at gazi university, Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1403-8.
- Moon SH, Lee DT, Son Y (2013). Adherence to health-related lifestyle behavior recommendations and association with quality of life among cancer survivors and age-matched controls in Korea.. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2949-54. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2949
- Nazik E, Arslan S, Nazik H, et al (2012). Anxiety and symptom assessment in Turkish gynecologic cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3129-33. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3129
- Ozkan S, Ogce F (2008). Importance of social support for functional status in breast cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 601-4.
- Pinar G, Algier L, Colak M, Ayhan A (2008). Quality of life in patients with gynecologic cancer. UHOD. 18, 141-9.
- Pinar G, Okdem S, Buyukgonenc L, Ayhan A (2012). The relationship between social support and the level of anxiety, depression, and quality of life of Turkish women with gynecologic cancer. Cancer Nurs, 35, 229-35. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e31822c47bd
- Reis N, Coskun A ve Kizilkaya Beji N (2006). Quality of Life and Effective Factors in Gynaecologic Cancers. Ataturk Universitesi Hemsirelik Yuksekokulu Dergisi, 9, 25-35.
- Reis N, Beji NK, Coskun A (2010). Quality of life and sexual functioning in gynecological cancer patients: results from quantitative and qualitative data. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 14, 137-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2009.09.004
- Roland KB, Rodriguez JL, Patterson JR, Trivers KF (2013). A literature review of the social and psychological needs of ovarian cancer survivors. Psychooncology, 22, 2408-18. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.3322
- Srisuttayasathien M, Khemapech N (2013). Quality of life in ovarian cancer patients choosing to receive salvage chemotherapy or palliative treatment. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7669-74. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7669
- Eker D, Arkan H (1995). Factorial Structure, Validity, and Reliability of the Multidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support. Turk Psikoloji Dergisi, 10, 45-55.
- Dedeli O, Fadiloglu C, Uslu R (2008). A survey of functional living and social support in patients with cancer. J Turk Oncol, 23, 132-39.
- Deshields TL, Potter P, Olsen S, Liu J, Dye L (2011). Documenting the symptom experience of cancer patients. J Support Oncol, 9, 216-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suponc.2011.06.003
- Dow KH, Melancon CH (1997). Quality of life in women with ovarian cancer. Western J Nursing Research, 19, 334-50. https://doi.org/10.1177/019394599701900305
- Farooqui M, Hassali MA, Knight A, et al (2013). Cross sectional assessment of health related quality of life (HRQoL) among patients with cancer in Malaysia.. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3017-21. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3017
- Ferrell BR, Dow KH, Grant M (1995). Measurement of the quality of life in cancersurvivors. Quality Life Res, 4, 523-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00634747
- Gil KM, Gibbons HE, Jenison EL, Hopkins MP, Von Gruenigen VE (2007). Baseline characteristics influencing quality of life in women undergoing gynecologic oncologysurgery. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 17, 1-7.
- Miller BE, Pittman B, Strong C (2003). Gynecologic cancer patients' psychosocial needs and their views on the physician's role in meeting those needs. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 13, 111-119. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1438.2003.13001.x
- Mirabeau-Beale KL, Kornblith AB, Penson RT, et al (2009). Comparison of the quality of life of early and advanced stage ovarian cancer survivors. Gynecol Oncol. 114, 353-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2009.05.009
- Mohammadi S, Sulaiman S, Koon PB, Amani R, Hosseini SM. (2013). Association of nutritional status with quality of life in breast cancer survivors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7749-55. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7749
- Bradley S, Ros S, Lutgendorf S, Costanzo E, Anderson B (2006). Quality of life and mental health in cervical and endometrial cancer survivors. Gynecol Oncol, 100, 479-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2005.08.023
- Abu-Saad Huijer H, Abboud S, Doumit M (2012). Symptom prevalence and management of cancer patients in Lebanon. J Pain Symptom Manage, 44, 386-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2011.10.019
- Akin S, Durna Z (2013). A comparative descriptive study examining the perceptions of cancer patients, family caregivers, and nurses on patient symptom severity in Turkey. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 17, 30-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2012.02.002
- Akyuz A, GuvencG, UstunsOz A, Kaya T (2008). Living with gynecologic cancer: experience of women and their partners. J Nurs Scholarsh, 40, 241-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2008.00232.x
- Iranian Cancer Patient Perceptions of Prognosis and the Relationship to Hope vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6205
- Gender Differences in Marital Disruption among Patients with Cancer: Results from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6547
- Health Promoting Behavior and Influencing Factors in Iranian Breast Cancer Survivors vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1729
- Evaluation of Health-Related Quality of Life among Patients with Cervical Cancer in Indonesia vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3345
- Relationships among depression during pregnancy, social support and health locus of control among Iranian pregnant women vol.62, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764015612119
- Evaluating the World Health Organization’s International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health Framework as a Participation Model for Cancer Survivors in Turkey pp.1538-4853, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0034355218792900