- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Oral Cancer Knowledge of Senior Dental Students in Zahedan, South-East of Iran
- Honarmand, Marieh (Department of Oral Medicine, Dental Research Center, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Hajihosseini, Alireza (Consultant, Department of Mathematics, Zahedan Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Akbari, Forugh (Dental Office)
- Published : 2014.04.01
Background: Oral carcinoma is one of the common types of cancer and one of the 10 leading causes of death around the world. This study was conducted to evaluate senior dental student knowledge about oral cancerous lesions in Zahedan Dental School. Materials and Methods: In this cross-sectional research, all the students in the last academic year at the School of Dentistry were studied during year of 2013. The study questionnaire covered demographic data as well as 12 questions concerning the knowledge of oral cancer. Data were collected and analyzed with SPSS18 using independent t-test, one way ANOVA. Significance level was considered as
- Alami AY, El Sabbagh RF, Hamdan A (2013). Knowledge of oral cancer among recently graduated medical and dental professionals in Amman, Jordan. J Dent Educ, 77, 1356-64.
- Andisheh Tadbir A, Ebrahimi H, Pourshahidi S, Zeraatkar M (2013). Evaluation of levels of knowledge about etiology and symptoms of oral cancer in southern Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2217-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2217
- Al Dubail S, Ganasegeran K, Alabsi A, Alshagga MA, Saif Ali R (2012). Awareness and knowledge of oral cancer among university students in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 165-8.
- Along OK, Narendran S (2004). Oral cancer knowledge and practices of dentists along the Texas-Mexico border. J Cancer Educ, 19, 6-11. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15430154jce1901_06
- Anderson G, Duncan H, Stenhouse J (2001). Oral cancer knowledge. Br Dent J, 190, 9-58.
- Applebaum E, Ruhlen TN, Kronenberg FR, Hages C, Peters ES (2009). Oral cancer knowledge, attitudes and practices: a survey of dentists and primary care physicians in Massachusetts. J Dent Assoc, 140, 61-98. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2009.0019
- Arigawardana A, Ekanagake L (2008). Screening for oral cancer/ per cancer: knowledge and opinions of dentists employed in the public sector dental services of Sri Lanka. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 615-8.
- Carter L, Ogden J (2007). Oral cancer awareness of undergraduate medical and dental students. BMC Med Educ, 7, 24-33. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-7-24
- Clovis J, Horowitz A, Poel D (2002). Oral and pharyngeal cancer: knowledge and opinions of dentists in British Columbia and nova scotia. J Can Dent Assoc, 68, 15-20.
- Cruz G, Ostroff J, Kumar J (2006). Preventing and detecting oral cancer: oral health care providers' readiness to provide health behavior counseling and oral cancer examinations. J Cancer Educ, 21, 57-62.
- Devadiga A, Prasad KV (2010). Knowledge about oral cancer in adults attending a dental hospital in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1609-13.
- Greenberg Ms Glick M (2003). Burkets Oral Medicine: Diagnosis and Treatment. 10th ed. Hamilton: BcDecker, 96-171.
- Halawany H, Jacob V, Abraham NB, Al-Maflehi N (2013). Oral cancer awareness and perception of tobacco use cessation counseling among dental students in four asian countries. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3619-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3619
- Motallebnejad M., Hedayati M (2007).General dentists knowledge about oral cancers in babol, in 2005. J Mashhad Dental School, 30, 310-5.
- Maybury C (2010). Survey of Maryland dentists' knowledge, opinions and practices about oral cancer prevention and early detection. Digital Repository at the University of Maryland, 68-131.
- Neville BW, Damm DD, Allen CM, Bouquot JE (2009). Oral and maxillofacial pathology. 3th ed. St. Louis. Elsevier Inc, 21-79.
- Nicotera G, Gnisci F, Bianco A, Angelillo IF (2004). Dental hygienists and oral cancer prevention: knowledge, attitudes and behaviors in Italy. Oral Oncol, 40, 38-44.
- Ord RA, Blancheart RH (2000). Oral cancer, the dentist's role in diagnosis, management, rehabilitation and prevention. 1th ed. Chicago: Quintessence Co, 39-45.
- Rahman B, Hawas N, Rahman MM, Rabah A, Al Kawas S (2013). Assessing dental students' knowledge of oral cancer in the United Arab Emirates. IDG, 63, 80-4.
- Saghafi S, ZareMahmoodabadi R, Salehinejad J, Falaki F, Farrokhizad S (2009). evaluation of general dentists knowledge about oral cancer in Mashhad-Iran in 2008. Journal of Mashhad Dental School, 33, 107-20.
- Saleh A, Kong YH, Vengu N, et al (2014). Dentists' perception of the role they play in early detection of oral cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 229-37. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.229
- Seoane J, Warnakulasuriga S, Varela Centelles P, Esparza G, Dios PD (2006). Oral cancer: experiences and diagnostic abilities elicited by dentists in north western Spain. Oral Dis, 12, 487-92. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2005.01225.x
- Yellowits J, Horowits AM, Drury TF, Goodman HS (2000). Survey of U.S dentists, knowledge and opinions about oral and pharyngeal cancer. J Am Dent Assoc, 131, 53-62.
- Zarei MR, Navabi N, Akhavi Zadegan H, et al (2000). Oral cancer knowledge and diagnostic skill of Iranian dentists participating in the 40th congress of iranian dental association (IDA). J Dent Sch, 19, 357-64.