- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Association of Cadmium but not Arsenic Levels in Lung Cancer Tumor Tissue with Smoking, Histopathological Type and Stage
- Demir, Nalan (Department of Chest Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University) ;
- Enon, Serkan (Department of Thoracic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University) ;
- Turksoy, Vugar Ali (Institute of Forensic Sciences, Ankara University) ;
- Kayaalti, Zeliha (Institute of Forensic Sciences, Ankara University) ;
- Kaya, Seda (Institute of Forensic Sciences, Ankara University) ;
- Cangir, Ayten Kayi (Department of Thoracic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University) ;
- Soylemezoglu, Tulin (Institute of Forensic Sciences, Ankara University) ;
- Savas, Ismail (Department of Chest Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University)
- Published : 2014.04.01
Background: To evaluate association of lung cancer with arsenic and cadmium levels measured in tumor tissue. Materials and Methods: Ninety-five patients with lung cancer tumor tissue obtained surgically were included in this study. Arsenic and cadmium levels were measured and levels of metals were compared among types of lung cancer and with reference to patient data. Results: The histopathologic diagnoses of the 95 cases were SCC, 49, adenocarcinoma, 28, large cell, 11 and SCLC, 1. Mean tumor arsenic and cadmium levels were
Lung cancer;surgical tumor tissue;arsenic;cadmium;smoking stage;histopathological type
Supported by : Ankara University
- Sorahan T, Esmen NA (2004). Lung cancer mortality in UK nickel-cadmium battery workers, 1947-2000. Occup Environ Med, 61, 108-16. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.2003.009282
- Park RM, Stayner LT, Petersen MR, Finley-Couch M, Hornung R, et al (2012). Cadmium and lung cancer mortality accounting for simultaneous arsenic exposure. Occup Environ Med, 69, 303-9. https://doi.org/10.1136/oemed-2011-100149
- Rahim F, Jalali A, Tangestani R (2013). Breast cancer frequency and exposure to cadmium: a meta- analysis and systematic review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4283-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4283
- Samet JM, Avila-Tang E, Boffetta P, et al (2009). Lung cancer in never smokers: clinical epidemiology and environmental risk factors. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 5626-45. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-09-0376
- Sorahan T, Lister A, Gilthorpe MS, Harrington JM (1995). Mortality of copper cadmium alloy workers with special reference to lung cancer and non-malignant diseases of the respiratory system, 1946-92. Occup Environ Med, 52, 804-12. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.52.12.804
- 't Mannetje A, Bencko V, Brennan P, et al (2011). Occupational exposure to metal compounds and lung cancer. Results from a multi-center case-control study in Central/Eastern Europe and UK. Cancer Causes Control, 22, 1669-80. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-011-9843-3
- Waalkes M.P (2003). Cadmium carcinogenesis. Mutat Res, 533, 107-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrfmmm.2003.07.011
- Wysowski DK, Landrigan PJ, Ferguson SW, et al (1978). Cadmium exposure in a community near a smelter. Am J Epidemiol, 107, 27-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a112504
- Zhu X, Zhang S, Jiang Y, Li H (2004). Analysis of seven trace element contents in benign lung tissue, lung cancer tissue and paracancerous tissue of patients with lung cancer. Zhongguo Fei Ai Za Zhi, 7, 222-5.
- Heck JE, Andrew AS, Onega T, et al (2009). Lung cancer in a U.S. population with low to moderate arsenic exposure. Environ Health Perspect, 117, 1718-23.
- Gerhardsson L, Nordberg GF (1993). Lung cancer in smelter workers--interactions of metals as indicated by tissue levels. Scand J Work Environ Health, 19, 90-4.
- Goldstraw P, Crowley J, Chansky K, et al (2007). The IASLC lung cancer staging project: proposals for the revision of TNM staging groupings in the forthcoming (seventh) edition of the TNM classification of the malignant tumours. J Thorac Oncol, 2, 706-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e31812f3c1a
- Guo HR, Wang NS, Hu H, Monson RR (2004). Cell type specificity of lung cancer associated with arsenic ingestion. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 13, 638-43.
- Hou J, Chen G, Wang Z (2001). Simultaneous determination of trace cadmium and arsenic in grains using atomic absorption spectrophotometry. Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi, 21, 387-90.
- Jarup L (2003). Hazards of heavy metal contamination. Br Med Bull, 68, 167-82. https://doi.org/10.1093/bmb/ldg032
- Kayaalti Z, Mergen G, Soylemezoglu T, et al (2010). Effect of metallothionein core promoter region polymorphism on cadmium, zinc and copper levels in autopsy kidney tissues from a Turkish population. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol, 245, 252-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2010.03.007
- Mutti A, Corradi M (2006). Recent developments in human biomonitoring: non-invasive assessment of target tissue dose and effects of pneumotoxic metals. Med Lav, 97, 199-206.
- Nakadaira H, Endoh K, Katagiri M, Yamamoto M (2002). Elevated mortality from lung cancer associated with arsenic exposure for a limited duration. J Occup Environ Med, 44, 291-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-200203000-00017
- Beyersmann D, Hartwig A (2008). Carcinogenic metal compounds: recent insight into molecular and cellular mechanisms. Arch Toxicol, 82, 493-512. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-008-0313-y
- Akbulut NE, Tuncer AM (2011). Accumulation of heavy metals with water quality parameters in Kızılırmak River Basin (Delice River) in Turkey. Environ Monit Assess, 173, 387-95. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-010-1394-7
- ATSDR. Toxicological profile for arsenic. Atlanta, GA: Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry; 2007.
- ATSDR. Toxicological profile for cadmium. Atlanta, GA: Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry; 2012.
- Chhabra D, Oda K, Jagannath P, et al (2012). Chronic heavy metal exposure and gallbladder cancer risk in India, a comparative study with Japan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 187-90. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.187
- Cobanoglu U, Demir H, Sayir F, Duran M, Mergan D (2010). Some mineral, trace element and heavy metal concentrations in lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1383-8.
- De Palma G, Goldoni M, Catalani S, et al (2008). Metallic elements in pulmonary biopsies from lung cancer and control subjects. Acta Biomed, 79, 43-51.
- Diez M, Arroyo M, Cerdan FJ, et al (1989). Serum and tissue trace metal levels in lung cancer. Oncology, 46, 230-4. https://doi.org/10.1159/000226722
- Doll R, Hill AB (1950). Smoking and carcinoma of the lung. Preliminary report. Br Med J, 2, 739-48. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.2.4682.739
- El-Agha O, Gokmen IG (2002). Smoking habits and cadmium intake in Turkey. Biol Trace Elem Res, 88, 31-43. https://doi.org/10.1385/BTER:88:1:31
- Ferreccio C, Gonzalez PC, Milosavjlevic SV, Marshall GG, Sancha AM, et al (2000). Lung cancer and arsenic concentrations in drinking water in Chile. Epidemiology, 11, 673-79. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001648-200011000-00010
- Adachi S, Takemoto K, Ohshima S, Shimizu Y, Takahama M (1991). Metal concentrations in lung tissue of subjects suffering from lung cancer. Int Arch Occup Environ Health, 63, 193-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00381568
- Adams SV, Passarelli MN, Newcomb PA (2012). Cadmium exposure and cancer mortality in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey cohort. Occup Environ Med, 69, 153-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/oemed-2011-100111
- Mechanisms of Cadmium Carcinogenicity in the Gastrointestinal Tract vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.9
- High Cadmium Levels in Cured Meat Products Marketed in Nigeria - Implications for Public Health vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.1933
- Some Elements in Thyroid Tissue are Associated with More Advanced Stage of Thyroid Cancer in Korean Women vol.171, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-015-0502-5
- The Association Between Urinary Cadmium Levels and Dietary Habits with Risk of Gastrointestinal Cancer in Tabriz, Northwest of Iran vol.175, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-016-0764-6
- Respiratory tract cadmium-induced injuries—poisoning via intake and water pH could influence their genesis? An experimental study in rats vol.26, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00580-017-2474-7