- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Interactions between Filamin A and MMP-9 Regulate Proliferation and Invasion in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Sun, Guo-Gui (Department of Chemoradiotherapy, Tangshan People's Hospital) ;
- Wei, Cui-Da (Department of Urology Surgery, Tangshan Workers Hospital) ;
- Jing, Shao-Wu (Department of Radiotherapy, The Fourth Hospital of Hebei Medical University) ;
- Hu, Wan-Ning (Department of Chemoradiotherapy, Tangshan People's Hospital)
- Published : 2014.04.30
This study aimed to analyze the expression, clinical significance of filamin A (FLNA) in renal cell carcinoma (RCC) and biological effects in a cell line by regulating FLNA expression. Immunohistochemistry and Western blotting were used to analyze FLNA protein expression in 70 cases of RCC and normal tissues to study the relationship with clinical factors. FLNA lentiviral and empty vectors were transfected into RCC to study the influence of up-regulated expression of FLNA. FLNA siRNA was transiently transfected into ACHN kidney carcinoma cells by a liposome-mediated method and protein was detected by Western blotting. The level of expression was found to be significantly lower in RCC than normal tissues (p<0.05). No correlation was noted with gender, age, tumor size or pathological types (p>0.05), but links with lymph node metastasis, clinic stage and histological grade were noted (p<0.05). Loss of FLNA expression correlated significantly with poor overall survival time by Kaplan-Meier analysis (p<0.05). Results for biological function showed that ACHN cells transfected with FLNA had a lower survival fraction, significant decrease in migration and invasion, higher cell apoptosis, higher percentage of the G0/G1 phases, and lower MMP-9 protein expression compared with ACHN cells untransfected with FLNA (p<0.05). However, renal 786-0 cells transfected with FLNA siRNA had a higher survival fraction, significant increase in migration and invasion, and higher MMP-9 protein expression compared (p<0.05). In conclusion, FLNA expression was decreased in RCC and correlated significantly with lymph node metastasis, clinic stage, histological grade and poor overall survival, suggesting that FLNA may play important roles as a a tumor suppressor in RCC by promoting degradation of MMP-9.
- Cairns P (2011). Renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Biomarkers, 9, 461-73.
- Ai J, Huang H, Lv X, et al (2011). FLNA and PGK1 are two potential markers for progression in hepatocellular carcinoma. Cell Physiol Biochem, 27, 207-16. https://doi.org/10.1159/000327946
- Bourguignon LY, Gilad E, Peyrollier K (2007). Heregulinmediated ErbB2-ERK signaling activates hyaluronan synthases leading to CD44-dependent ovarian tumor cell growth and migration. J Biol Chem, 282, 19426-41. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M610054200
- Bedolla RG, Wang Y, Asuncion A, et al (2009). Nuclear versus cytoplasmic localization of filamin A in prostate cancer: immunohistochemical correlation with metastases. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 788-96. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-1402
- Feng Y, Walsh CA (2004). The many faces of filamin: a versatile molecular scaffold for cell motility and signalling. Nat Cell Biol, 6, 1034-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncb1104-1034
- Wu YP, Li JB, Zhao RJ, et al (2009). Expression of filam in A in invasive breast carcinoma and its significance. Tumor, 29, 659-62.
- Zhang M, Zhu GY, Gao HY, et al (2011). Expression of tissue levels of matrix metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases in renal cell adenocarcinoma. J Surg Oncol, 103, 243-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21824
- Stadler WM, Figlin RA, McDermott DF, et al (2010). ARCCS Study Investigators: Safety and efficacy results of the advanced renal cell carcinoma sorafenib expanded access program in North America. Cancer, 116, 1272-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24864
- Shi JW, Yu YM, Wang SJ, et al (2010). Expressions of filamin A and matrix metalloproteinase 9 in colorectal adenocarcinoma and their significance. Tumor, 30, 768-773.
- Sun GG, Hu WN, Wang YD, et al (2012). Bidirectional Regulation of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) on the radiosensitivity of esophageal cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3015-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3015
- Sun GG, Wang YD, Lu YF, et al (2013). Different association of manganese superoxide dismutase gene polymorphisms with risk of prostate, esophageal, and lung cancers: evidencefrom a meta-analysis of 20, 025 subjects. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1937-43. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1937
- Watanabe H (2010). Extracellular matrix-regulationof cancer invasion and metastasis. Gan ToKagaku Ryoho, 37, 2058-61.
- Yang S, Du J, Wang Z (2007). BMP-6 promotes E-cadherin expression through repressing delta EF1 in breast cancer cells. BMC Cancer, 7, 211. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-7-211
- Yu HB, Zhang HF, Li DY, et al (2011) . Matrine inhibits matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression and invasion of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells. J Asian Nat Prod Res, 13, 242-50. https://doi.org/10.1080/10286020.2010.551641
- Zhu TN, He HJ, Kole S, et al (2007). Filamin A-mediated downregulation of the exchange factor Ras-GRF1 correlates with decreased matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression in human melanoma cells. J Biol Chem, 282, 14816-26. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M611430200
- Zhou X, Boren J, Akyurek LM, (2007). Filamins in cardiovascular development. Trends Cardiovasc Med, 17, 222-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tcm.2007.08.001
- Ljungberg B, Campbell SC, Cho HY, et al (2011). The epidemiology of renal carcinoma. Eur Urol, 60, 615-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2011.06.049
- He HJ, Kole S, Kwon YK, et al (2003). Interaction of filamin A with the insulin receptor alters insulin-dependent activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. J Biol Chem, 278, 27096-104. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M301003200
- Roberson SP, Twigg SR, Sutherland-Smith AJ, et al (2003). OPD-spectrum Disorders Clinical Collaborative Group. Localized mutations in the gene encoding the cytoskeletal protein filamin A cause diversem alform at ions in humans. Nat Gene, 33, 487-91. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng1119
- Keshamouni VG, Michailidis G, Grasso CS, et al (2006). Differential protein expression profiling by iTRAQ-2DLC-MS/MS of lung cancer cells undergoing epithelialmesenchymal transition reveals a migratory/ invasive phenotype. J Proteome Res, 5, 1143-54. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr050455t
- Nakamura F, Osborn TM, Hartemink CA, et al (2007). Structure basis of filamin A functions. J Cell Biol, 179, 1011-25. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.200707073
- Onoprishvili I, Ali S, Andria ML, et al (2008). Filamin A mutant lacking actin-binding domain restores mu opioid receptor regulation in melanoma cells. Neurochem Res, 33, 2054-61. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11064-008-9684-y
- Tan X, He S, Han Y, et al (2013). Establishment and characterization of clear cell renal cell carcinoma cell lines with different metastatic potential from Chinese patients. Cancer Cell Int, 13, 20. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2867-13-20
- Stossel TP, Condeelis J, Cooley L, et al (2001). Filamins as integrators of cell mechanics and signalling. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol, 2, 138-45. https://doi.org/10.1038/35052082
- Sheen VL, Feng Y, Graham D, et al (2002). Filamin A and Filamin B are co-expressed within neurons during periods of neuronal migration and can physically interact. Hum Mol Genet, 11, 2845-54. https://doi.org/10.1093/hmg/11.23.2845
- SLPI knockdown induced pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma cells proliferation and invasion vol.15, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12935-015-0182-4
- Tetraspanin 1 is involved in survival, proliferation and carcinogenesis of pancreatic cancer vol.34, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2015.4272
- Lentiviral vector-mediated insertional mutagenesis screen identifies genes that influence androgen independent prostate cancer progression and predict clinical outcome vol.55, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.22425
- Filamin A: Insights into its Exact Role in Cancers vol.22, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12253-015-9980-1
- Proteome analysis of sheep B lymphocytes in the course of bovine leukemia virus-induced leukemia vol.242, pp.13, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1535370217705864
- Ultrastructural Localization and Molecular Associations of HCV Capsid Protein in Jurkat T Cells vol.8, pp.1664-302X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2017.02595