- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Retrograde Analysis of Clinical Characteristics of Bone Metastasis in 1,031 Cases of Preliminarily Diagnosed Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma
- Zhao, Chang-Lin (Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, School of Medicine, Jinan University) ;
- Qian, Guo-Qiang (Nursing Department of Huanghuai University) ;
- Chen, Xiao-Yin (Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, School of Medicine, Jinan University) ;
- Chen, Chao (Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, the First Affiliated Hospital of Jinan University)
- Published : 2014.04.30
Purpose: To explore the clinical characteristics of bone metastasis (BM) in a large sample of preliminarily diagnosed nasopharyngeal carcinomas (NPCs). Methods: The sample consisted of 1,031 patients diagnosed with NPC at first visitg clinics between October 1989 and June 2012. Several parameters including metastasis locus, T/N staging, diagnosis, therapy and prognosis of BM were analyzed retrospectively. Results: In 70 patients who had been preliminarily diagnosed with BM, the incidence of BM in N0, N1, N2 and N3 stage was 5.7%, 17.2%, 50.2%, and 25.7%, respectively, while the incidence in T0, T1, T2 and T3 stage was 0%, 23.8%, 47.6% and 28.6% respectively. BM occurred in most common in vertebral column, rib, sternum, ilium and femur. Positive rate of Epstein-Barr virus antibody was 77.6%. The median survival time was 12 months. Conclusion: The incidence of BM in NPC preliminarily diagnosed is about 7% and it is related to N classification but not T classification.
- Wang TL, Tan YO (1991). Cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil continuous infusion for metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Ann Acad Med Singapore, 20, 601-3.
- Teo PM, Kwan WH, Lee WY, et al (1996). Prognosticators determining survival subsequent to distant metastasis from nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer, 77, 2423-31. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19960615)77:12<2423::AID-CNCR2>3.0.CO;2-N
- Tian-Ren Huang, Si-Wei Zhang, Wan-Qing Chen, et al (2012). Trends in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Mortality in China, 1973-2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2495-502. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2495
- Yu-Shin Hung , Wen-Chi Chou , Tai-Di Chen, et al (2014). Prognostic Factors in Adult Patients with Solid Cancers and Bone Marrow Metastases. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 61-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.61
- Zhang EP, Lian PG, Cai KL, et al (1989). Radiation therapy of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: Prognostic factors based on a 10-year follow-up of 1302 patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 16, 301-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(89)90318-0
- Ning-Bo Liu , Lei Zhu , Ming-Huan Li, et al (2013). Diagnostic value of 18F-FDG PET/CT in comparison to bone scintigraphy, CT and 18F-FDG PET for the detection of bone metastasis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3647-52. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3647
- Lo YM, Chan AT, Chan LY, et al (2000). Molecular prognostication of nasopharyngeal carcinoma by quantitative analysis of circulating Epstein-Barr virus DNA. Cancer Res, 60, 6878-81.
- Mundy GR (2002). Metastasis to bone: cause, consequences, and therapeutic opportunity. Nat Rev Cancer, 2, 584-93. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc867
- Nakamoto Y, Osman M, Wahl RL (2003). Prevalence and patterns of bone metastases detected with positron emission tomography using F 18 FDG. Clin Nucl Med, 28, 302-7.
- Pan CC, Lu J, Yu JR, et al (2012). Challenges in the modification of the M1 stage of the TNM staging system for nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A study of 1027 cases and review of the literature. Exp Ther Med, 4, 334-8.
- Peng X, Chen S, Du C, et al (2013). Clinical features and prognostic factors in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma relapse after primary treatment. Head Neck Oncol, 16, 21.
- Shanmugaratnam K , Sobin LH (1991). Histological typing of tumours of the upper respiratory tract and ear. In: K Shanmugaratnam and LH Sobin, Editors, International histological classification of tumours: WHO, Geneva 1991, 19, 32-3.
- Tang LL, Li WF, Chen L, et al (2010). Prognostic value and staging categories of anatomic masticator space involvement in nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a study of 924 cases with MR imaging. Radiology, 257, 151-7. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.10100033
- Tang SGJ, Lin FJ, Chen MS, et al (1990). Prognostic factors of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A multivariate analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 19, 1143-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(90)90219-A
- Chang JT, Chan SC, Yen TC, et al (2005). Nasopharyngeal carcinoma staging by (18)F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 62, 501-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2004.09.057
- Ahmad A, Stefani S (1986). Distant metastases of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a study of 256 male patients. J Surg Oncol, 133, 194-7.
- Cao X, Han Y, He L, et al (2011). Risk subset of the survival for nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients with bone metastases: Who will benefit from combined treatment? Oral Oncol, 47, 747-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2011.05.010
- Chan AT, Lo YM, Zee B, et al (2002). Plasma Epstein-Barr virus DNA and residual disease after radiotherapy for undifferentiated nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Natl Cancer Inst, 94, 1614-19. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/94.21.1614
- Cheng SH, James Jer-Min Jian, Stella Y. C. Tsai, et al (1998). Prognostic features and treatment outcome in locoregionally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma following concurrent chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 41, 755-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(98)00092-3
- Fandi A, Bachouchi M, Azli N, et al (2000). Long-term diseasefree survivors in metastatic undifferentiated carcinoma of nasopharyngeal type. J Clin Oncol, 18, 1324-30.
- Kwan WH, Teo PM, Chow LT, et al (1996). Nasopharyngeal carcinoma with metastatic disease to mediastinal and hilar lymph nodes: an indication for more aggressive treatment. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol), 8, 55-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0936-6555(05)80041-X
- Lee AW, Poon YF, Foo W, et al (1992). Retrospective analysis of 5037 patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma treated during 1976-1986: Overall survival and patterns of failure. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 23, 261-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(92)90740-9
- Partial hepatectomy for liver metastases from nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a comparative study and review of the literature vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-818
- Pathological Investigation of Vertebral Tumor Metastasis from Unknown Primaries - a Systematic Analysis vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1047
- Prognostic Evaluation of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma with Bone-Only Metastasis after Therapy vol.57, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2016.57.4.840