- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Establishment of and Comparison between Orthotopic Xenograft and Subcutaneous Xenograft Models of Gallbladder Carcinoma
- Du, Qiang (Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The Affiliated Union Hospital of Fujian Medical University) ;
- Jiang, Lei (Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The Affiliated Union Hospital of Fujian Medical University) ;
- Wang, Xiao-Qian (Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The Affiliated Union Hospital of Fujian Medical University) ;
- Pan, Wei (Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The Affiliated Union Hospital of Fujian Medical University) ;
- She, Fei-Fei (Key Laboratory of Ministry of Education for Gastrointestinal Cancer, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Fujian Medical University) ;
- Chen, Yan-Ling (Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The Affiliated Union Hospital of Fujian Medical University)
- Published : 2014.04.30
Background: Gallbladder carcinoma (GBC) is the most common carcinoma of the biliary system. Among its research models, orthotopic xenograft models, important research tools, have been rarely reported in the literature however. Aim: To explore establishment of an orthotopic xenograft model and to evaluate the advantage and disadvantage as compared with other models. Materials and Methods: Subcutaneous xenograft and orthotopic xenograft models of gallbladder carcinoma in nude mice were established and compared with human gallbladder carcinomas. Results: For the orthotopic xenograft model and clinical gallbladder carcinomas, the lymph node metastatic rates were 69.2% and 53.3% (p>0.05); ascites generation rates, 38.5% and 11.7%(p<0.05); liver invasive rates, 100% and 61.7%(p<0.05); and lymphatic vessel densities (LVD),
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Chang C, Wang P, Yang H, et al (2011). Expression of LYVE-1 and Prox-1 in non-small cell lung cancer and the relationship with lymph node metastasis. Sichuan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban, 42, 174-8.
- Chang XZ, Wang ZM, Yu JM, et al (2007). Isolation of a human gallbladder cancer cell clone with high invasive phenotype in vitro and metastatic potential in orthotopic model and inhibition of its invasiveness by heparanase antisense oligodeoxynucleotides. Clin Exp Metastasis, 24, 25-38. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10585-006-9053-7
- Detmar M, Hirakawa S (2002). The formation of lymphatic vessels and its importance in the setting of malignancy. J Exp Med, 196, 713-8. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.20021346
- Egberts JH, Schniewind B, Schafmayer C, et al (2007). Establishment of a novel orthotopic xenograft model of human gallbladder carcinoma. Clin Exp Metastasis, 24, 141-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10585-007-9058-x
- Fidler IJ (1990). Critical factors in the biology of human cancer metastasis: twenty-eighth G.H.A. Clowes memorial award lecture. Cancer Res, 50, 6130-8.
- Fidler IJ (1991). Orthotopic implantation of human colon carcinomas into nude mice provides a valuable model for the biology and therapy of metastasis. Cancer Metastasis Rev, 10, 229-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00050794
- Furukawa T, Fu X, Kubota T, et al (1993). Nude mouse metastatic models of human stomach cancer constructed using orthotopic implantation of histologically intact tissue. Cancer Res, 53, 1204-8.
- Homma S, Hasumura S, Nagamori S, et al (1988). Establishment and characterization of a human gall bladder carcinoma cell line NOZ. Hum Cell, 1, 95-7.
- Horiuchi H, Kawamata H, Fujimori T, et al (2003). A MEK inhibitor (U0126) prolongs survival in nude mice bearing human gallbladder cancer cells with K-ras mutation: analysis in a novel orthotopic inoculation model. Int J Oncol, 23, 957-63.
- Izumi T, Shimada H, Maehara M, et al (1993). Modes of spread and surgical strategy for gallbladder carcinoma with subserosal invasion. Nihon Geka Gakkai Zasshi, 94, 722-9.
- Kokudo N, Makuuchi M, Natori T, et al (2003). Strategies for surgical treatment of gallbladder carcinoma based on information available before resection. Arch Surg, 138, 741-50. https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.138.7.741
- Kondo S, Nimura Y, Kamiya J, et al (2002). Mode of tumor spread and surgical strategy in gallbladder carcinoma. Langenbecks Arch Surg, 387, 222-8, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00423-002-0318-6
- Kuo TH, Kubota T, Watanabe M, et al (1995). Liver colonization competence governs colon cancer metastasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 92, 12085-9. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.92.26.12085
- Mastoraki A, Papanikolaou IS, Konstandiadou I, et al (2010). Facing the challenge of treating gallbladder carcinoma. Review of the literature. Hepatogastroenterology, 57, 215-9.
- Muniz LR, Pacer ME, Lira SA, et al (2011). A critical role for dendritic cells in the formation of lymphatic vessels within tertiary lymphoid structures. J Immunol, 187, 828-34. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1004233
- Ohtani T, Shirai Y, Tsukada K, et al (1996). Spread of gallbladder carcinoma: CT evaluation with pathologic correlation. Abdom Imaging, 21, 195-201. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002619900045
- Saharinen P, Tammela T, Karkkainen MJ, et al (2004). Lymphatic vasculature: development, molecular regulation and role in tumor metastasis and inflammation. Trends Immunol, 25, 387-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.it.2004.05.003
- Skobe M, Hamberg LM, Hawighorst T, et al (2001). Concurrent induction of lymphangiogenesis, angiogenesis, and macrophage recruitment by vascular endothelial growth factor-C in melanoma. Am J Pathol, 159, 893-903. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9440(10)61765-8
- Tsukada K, Kurosaki I, Uchida K, et al (1997). Lymph node spread from carcinoma of the gallbladder. Cancer, 80, 661-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19970815)80:4<661::AID-CNCR3>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Vermeulen PB, Gasparini G, Fox SB, et al (1996). Quantification of angiogenesis in solid human tumours: an international consensus on the methodology and criteria of evaluation. Eur J Cancer, 32, 2474-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(96)00379-6
- Weidner N, Semple JP, Welch WR, et al (1991). Tumor angiogenesis and metastasis-correlation in invasive breast carcinoma. N Engl J Med, 324, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199101033240101
- Zhao ZL, Wang ZM, Liu B, et al (2005). The establishment of subcutaneous tumor model of human gallbladder carcinoma in nude mice. Chin J Exp Surg, 22, 1272.
- Tea consumption and risk of gallbladder cancer: A meta-analysis of epidemiological studies vol.3, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2015.489
- Neural Regulation of Pancreatic Cancer: A Novel Target for Intervention vol.7, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers7030838
- TNF-alpha promotes lymphangiogenesis and lymphatic metastasis of gallbladder cancer through the ERK1/2/AP-1/VEGF-D pathway vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-016-2259-4
- CCR7 mediates the TNF-α-induced lymphatic metastasis of gallbladder cancer through the “ERK1/2 - AP-1” and “JNK - AP-1” pathways vol.35, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13046-016-0318-y
- Interrogating open issues in cancer precision medicine with patient-derived xenografts vol.17, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc.2016.140
- A hypoxia- and telomerase-responsive oncolytic adenovirus expressing secretable trimeric TRAIL triggers tumour-specific apoptosis and promotes viral dispersion in TRAIL-resistant glioblastoma vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-19300-6
- The Antitumor Activity of Combinations of Cytotoxic Chemotherapy and Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors Is Model-Dependent vol.9, pp.1664-3224, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2018.02100
- Roles of Pin1 as a Key Molecule for EMT Induction by Activation of STAT3 and NF-κB in Human Gallbladder Cancer vol.26, pp.3, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-018-07132-7