- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Preparation of Selenium-enriched Bifidobacterium Longum and its Effect on Tumor Growth and Immune Function of Tumor-Bearing Mice
- Yin, Yan (Department of Biological Science and Technology and State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University) ;
- Wang, Rong-Rong (Department of Biological Science and Technology and State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University) ;
- Wang, Yan (Department of Biological Science and Technology and State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University) ;
- Wang, Jian-Jun (Department of Biological Science and Technology and State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University) ;
- Xu, Gen-Xing (Department of Biological Science and Technology and State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University)
- Published : 2014.04.30
In this study, we demonstrated selenium (Se) accumulation in Bifidobacterium longum strain (B. longum) and evaluated the effect of Se-enriched B. longum (Se-B. longum) on tumor growth and immune function in tumor-bearing mice. Analysis using high-performance liquid chromatography-inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (HPLC-ICP-MS) revealed that more than 99% of Se in Se-B. longum was organic, the main component of which was selenomethionine (SeMet). In the in vivo experiments, tumor-bearing mice (n=8) were orally administrated with different doses of Se-B. longum alone or combined with cyclophosphamide (CTX). The results showed that the middle and high dose of Se-B. longum significantly inhibited tumor growth. When Se-B. longum and CTX were combined, the antitumor effect was significantly enhanced and the survival time of tumor-bearing mice (n=12) was prolonged. Furthermore, compared with CTX alone, the combination of Se-B. longum and CTX stimulated the activity of natural killer (NK) cells and T lymphocytes, increasing the levels of interleukin-2 (IL-2) and tumor necrosis factor-
- Yadav NK, Poudel B, Thanpari C, Chandra Koner B (2012). Assessment of biochemical profiles in premenopausal and postmenopausal women with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3385-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3385
- Singh J, Rivenson A, Tomita M, et al (1997). Bifidobacterium longum, a lactic acid-producing intestinal bacterium inhibits colon cancer and modulates the intermediate biomarkers of colon carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis, 18, 833-41. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/18.4.833
- Suhajda A, Hegoczki J, Janzso B, Pais I, Vereczkey G (2000). Preparation of selenium yeasts І. Preparation of seleniumenriched yeasts Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Trace Elem Med Biol, 14, 43-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0946-672X(00)80022-X
- Wang CL, Lovell RT (1997). Organic selenium sources, selenomethionine and selenoyeast have higher bioavailability than an inorganic selenium source, sodium selenite, in diets for channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Aquaculture, 152, 223-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0044-8486(96)01523-2
- Yang JJ, Hang KH, Qin SY, et al (2009). Antibacterial action of selenium-enriched probiotics against pathogenic Escherichia coli. Digest Dis Sci, 54, 246-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-008-0361-4
- Yazawa K, Fujimori M, Amano J, Kano Y, Taniguch S (2000). Bifidobacterium longum as a delivery system for cancer gene therapy: selective localization and growth in hypoxic tumors. Cancer Gene Ther, 7, 269-74. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.cgt.7700122
- Yazdi MH, Mahdavi M, Varastehmoradi B, Faramarzi MA, Shahverdi AR (2012). The immunostimulatory effect of biogenic selenium nanoparticles on the 4T1 breast cancer model: an in vivo study. Biol Trace Elem Res, 149, 22-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-012-9402-0
- Zeng HW, Combs GF (2008). Selenium as an anticancer nutrient:roles in cell proliferation and tumor cell invasion. J Nutr Biochem, 19, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2007.02.005
- Zhang BW, Zhou K, Zhang JL, et al (2009). Accumulation and species distribution of selenium in Se-enriched bacterial cells of the Bifidobacterium animalis 01. Food Chem, 115, 727-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.12.006
- Kotrebai M, Birringer M, Tyson JF, Block E, Uden PC (1999). Identification of the principal selenium compounds in selenium-enriched natural sample extracts by ion-pair liquid chromatography with inductively coupled plasma- and electrospray ionization-mass spectrometric detection. Anal Commun, 36, 249-52. https://doi.org/10.1039/a902770j
- Laffon B, Valdiglesias V, Pasaro E, Mendez J (2010). The organic selenium compound selenomethionine modulates bleomycin-induced DNA damage and repair in human leukocytes. Biol Trace Elem Res, 133, 12-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-009-8407-9
- Li C, Chen X, Kou L, et al (2010). Selenium-Bifidobacterium longum as a delivery system of endostatin for inhibition of pathogenic bacteria and selective regression of solid tumor. Exp Ther Med, 1, 129-35.
- Karimi G, Shahar S, Homayouni N, et al (2012). Association between trace element and heavy metal levels in hair and nail with prostate cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4249-53. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4249
- Mazej D, Horvat M, Barbone F, Stibilj V (2004). Simple and rapid method for determination of selenium in breast milk by HG-AFS. Microchim Acta, 147, 73-9.
- Menter DG, Sabichi AL, Lippman SM (2000). Selenium Effects on Prostate Cell Growth. Cancer Epidem Biomar, 9, 1171-82.
- Otles S, Cagindi O, Akcicek E (2003). Probiotics and health. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 4, 369-72.
- Picard C, Fioramonti J, Francois A, et al (2005). Review article:bifidobacteria as probiotic agents-physiological effects and clinical benefits. Aliment Pharm Therap, 22, 495-512. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2005.02615.x
- Sanmartin C, Plano D, Sharma AK, Palop JA (2012). Selenium compounds, apoptosis and other types of cell death: an overview for cancer therapy. Int J Mol Sci, 13, 9649-72. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms13089649
- Dos Santos RA, Takahashi CS (2008). Anticlastogenic and antigenotoxic effects of selenomethionine on doxorubicininduced damage in vitro in human lymphocytes. Food Chem Toxicol, 46, 671-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2007.09.090
- Cao S, Durrani FA, Rustum YM (2004). Selective modulation of the therapeutic efficacy of anticancer drugs by selenium containing compounds against human tumor xenografts. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 2561-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-03-0268
- Chen C, Zhang YM, Li YC, Chu HY, Xi YM (2007). In vivo and in vitro anti-tumour response of selenium-protein polysaccharide extracted from rich selenium Agaricus blazei. Food Agr Immunol, 18, 139-49. https://doi.org/10.1080/09540100701616548
- Crawford J, Dale DC, Lyman GH (2004). Chemotherapy-induced neutropenia: Risks, consequences, and new directions for its management. Cancer, 100, 228-37. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11882
- Goulet AC, Chigbrow M, Fris P, Nelson1 MA (2005). Selenomethionine induces sustained ERK phosphorylation leading to cell-cycle arrest in human colon cancer cells. Carcinogenesis, 26, 109-17.
- Hamaji Y, Fujimori M, Sasaki T, et al (2007). Strong enhancement of recombinant cytosine deaminase activity in Bifidobacterium longum for tumor-targeting enzyme/prodrug therapy. Biosci Biothch Bioch, 71, 874-83. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.60502
- Jiang C, Wang Z, Ganther H, Lu JX (2001). Caspases as key executors of methyl selenium-induced apoptosis (anoikis) of DU-145 prostate cancer cells. Cancer Res, 61, 3062-70.
- Jin M, Lu Z, Huang M, Wang Y, Wang Y (2012). Effects of Se-enriched polysaccharides produced by Enterobacter cloacae Z0206 on alloxan-induced diabetic mice. Int J Biol Macromol, 50, 348-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2011.12.019
- Johansson L, Gafvelin G and Arner ESJ (2005). Selenocysteine in proteins-properties and biotechnological use. BBA, 1726, 1-13.
- Brown KM, Pickard K, Nicol F, et al (2000). Effects of organic and inorganic selenium supplementation on selenoenzyme activity in blood lymphocytes, granulocytes, platelets and erythrocytes. Clin Sci, 98, 593-9. https://doi.org/10.1042/CS19990276
- Calomme MR, Vanden Branden K, Vanden Branden DA (1995). Selenium and Lactobacillus species. J Appl Bacteriol, 79, 331-40. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1995.tb03145.x
- Intravenous Administration Is an Effective and Safe Route for Cancer Gene Therapy Using the Bifidobacterium-Mediated Recombinant HSV-1 Thymidine Kinase and Ganciclovir vol.17, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17060891
- Production of Selenomethionine-Enriched Bifidobacterium bifidum BGN4 via Sodium Selenite Biocatalysis vol.23, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules23112860
- in delaying the onset of streptozotocin-induced diabetes vol.5, pp.12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.181156