- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Population Based Study of the Association Between Binge Drinking and Mortality from Cancer of Oropharynx and Esophagus in Korean Men: the Kangwha Cohort Study
- Jung, Sang Hyuk (Department of Preventive Medicine, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Gombojav, Bayasgalan (Institute for Health Promotion, Graduate School of Public Health, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Park, Eun-Cheol (Department of Preventive Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Nam, Chung Mo (Department of Preventive Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Ohrr, Heechoul (Institute for Health Promotion, Graduate School of Public Health, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Won, Jong Uk (Department of Preventive Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine)
- 발행 : 2014.04.30
We assessed the association between frequency of heavy binge drinking and mortality from oropharynx and esophagus cancer after controlling for the total volume of alcohol intake among Korean men. The cohort comprised 2,677 male residents in Kangwha County, aged 55 or older in March 1985, for their upper digestive tract cancer mortality for 20.8 years up to December 31, 2005. For daily binge drinkers versus non-drinkers, the hazard ratios (95% Cls) for mortality were 4.82 (1.36, 17.1) and 6.75 (1.45, 31.4) for oropharyngeal and esophageal cancers, respectively. Even after adjusting for the volume of alcohol intake, we found the hazard ratios for frequency of binge drinking and mortality of oropharyngeal or esophageal cancer to not change appreciably: the hazard ratios were 4.90 (1.00, 27.0) and 7.17 (1.02, 50.6), respectively. For esophageal cancer, there was a strong dose-response relationship. The frequency of heavy binge drinking and not just the volume of alcohol intake may increase the risk of mortality from upper digestive tract cancer, particularly esophageal cancer in Korean men. These findings need to be confirmed in further studies with a larger sample size.
- Ohrr HC, Kim IS, Kim HO et al (1997). "Kangwha county cancer registry, Korea" in Cancer Incidence in five continents Vol. VII Parkin DM et al ed. IACR, IARC Scientific Publications No.143. Lyon 1997
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (2005) The Third Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES III), 2005-Summary.
- Mokdad AH, Brewer RD, Naimi T et al (2007). Binge drinking is a problem that cannot be ignored. Prev Med, 44, 303-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2007.01.007
- Mørch LS, Johansen D, Thygesen LC et al (2007). Alcohol drinking, consumption patterns and breast cancer among Danish nurses: a cohort study. Eur J Pub Health, 17, 624-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckm036
- Ohrr HC, Yi SW, Sull JW (2002). "Kangwha county cancer registry, Korea" in Cancer Incidence in five continents Vol. VIII. Parkin DM et al ed. IACR, IARC Scientific Publications No.155. Lyon 2002
- Park BJ, Kim DS, Koo HW et al (1998). Reliability and validity study of a life style questionnaire for elderly people. Korean J Prev Med, 31, 49-58.
- Razvodovsky YE (2007). Alcohol poisoning and duodenum ulcer mortality in Russia, 1965-2005. Adicciones, 19, 423-31.
- Seitz HK, Poschl G, Simanowski UA (1998). Alcohol and cancer. Recent Dev Alcohol, 14, 67-95.
- Sull JW, Yi SW, Nam CM et al (2009). Binge drinking and mortality from all causes and cerebrovascular diseases in korean men and women: a Kangwha cohort study. Stroke, 40, 2953-8. https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.109.556027
- Yaegashi Y, Onoda T, Morioka S et al (2014). Joint effects of smoking and alcohol drinking on esophageal cancer mortality in Japanese men: findings from the Japan collaborative cohort study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1023-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.1023
- Yi SW, Sull JW, Linton JA, et al (2010). Alcohol consumption and digestive cancer mortality in Koreans: the Kangwha Cohort Study. J Epidemiol, 20, 204-11. https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.JE20090077
- Fan Y, Yuan JM, Wang R, et al (2008). Alcohol, tobacco, and diet in relation to esophageal cancer: the Shanghai Cohort Study. Nutr Cancer, 60, 354-63. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635580701883011
- Bagnardi V, Blangiardo M, La Vecchia C, et al (2001). A metaanalysis of alcohol drinking and cancer risk. Br J Cancer, 85, 1700-5. https://doi.org/10.1054/bjoc.2001.2140
- Bongaerts BW, van den Brandt PA, Goldbohm RA, et al (2008). Alcohol consumption, type of alcoholic beverage and risk of colorectal cancer at specific subsites. Int J Cancer, 123, 2411-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23774
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2004) Alcohol,attributable deaths and years of potential life lost,,United States, 2001. MMWR. Morbidity Mortaluty Weekly Report. 53, 866-70.
- Grønbaek M, Becker U, Johansen D, et al (1998). Population based cohort study of the association between alcohol intake and cancer of the upper digestive tract. Br Med J, 317, 844-7.
- Haas SL, Ye W, Lohr JM (2012). Alcohol consumption and digestive tract cancer. Curr Opin Clin Nutr, 15, 457-67. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCO.0b013e3283566699
- Homann N, Karkkainen P, Koivisto NT, et al (1997). Effects of acetaldehyde on cell regeneration and differentiation of the upper gastrointestinal tract mucosa. J Nat Cancer Inst, 89, 1692-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/89.22.1692
- Hong JS, Yi SW, Kang HC et al (2007). Body Mass Index and Mortality due to Cardiovascular Disease in South Korean Men: Kangwha Cohort Study. Ann Epidemiol, 17, 622-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2007.03.004
- Ishiguro S, Sasazuki S, Inoue M, et al (2009). Effect of alcohol consumption, cigarette smoking and flushing response on esophageal cancer risk: a population,based cohort study (JPHC study). Cancer Letters, 275, 240-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.10.020
- Kim JS, Shukla SD (2006) Acute in vivo effect of ethanol (binge drinking) on histone H3 modifications in rat tissues. Alcohol and Alcoholism, 41, 126-32. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agh248
- La Vecchia C (2007). Alcohol and liver cancer. Eur J Cancer Prev, 16, 495-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0b013e3280145b5d
- Lee K, Lim HT, Hwang SS et al (2010). Socio-economic disparities in behavioural risk factors for cancer and use of cancer screening services in Korean adults aged 30 years and older: the Third Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2005 (KNHANES III). Public health, 124, 698-704. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2010.07.004
- Malyutina S, Bobak M, Kurilovitch S et al (2002). Relation between heavy and binge drinking and all,cause and cardiovascular mortality in Novosibirsk, Russia: a prospective cohort study. Lancet, 360, 1448-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(02)11470-X
- A Volunteer Alcohol Consumption Reduction Campaign: Participatory Action Research among Thai Women in the Isaan Region vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7343
- Dietary and Demographical Risk Factors for Oesophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma in the Eastern Anatolian Region of Turkey Where Upper Gastrointestinal Cancers are Endemic vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1913
- Acute High-Dose and Chronic Lifetime Exposure to Alcohol Consumption and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer: T-CALOS Korea vol.11, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0151562
- Ethanol versus Phytochemicals in Wine: Oral Cancer Risk in a Light Drinking Perspective vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms160817029
- Smoking, alcohol and cancer mortality in Eastern European men: Findings from the PrivMort retrospective cohort study vol.143, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.31406