- Volume 15 Issue 8
Background: Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is one of the most common cancers in men and the third most common cancer in woman in Thailand. This retrospective study was designed to assess the prevalence, clinical manifestations, treatment outcomes and prognosis of HCC in the central region of Thailand. Materials and Methods: The authors retrospectively reviewed all HCC patients aged more than 15 years old in Thammasat university hospital (TUH) during the period from January 2007 to December 2012. Clinical information, biochemical tests and radiologic findings were collected from review of medical records. Results: There were 308 patients with HCC, which accounted for the prevalence of 5.19% of all cancers diagnosed in TUH during the study period. Of these, 125 (40.5%) had complete information retrievable from their medical records and met the inclusion criteria, 99 (79.2%) were males. The mean age was 57.4 years. A quarter of HCC patients in this study presented without any symptom before diagnosis. The common clinical presentations in the remaining patients were hepatomegaly 64/125 (51.2%), abdominal pain 56/125 (44.8%) and ascites 16/125 (20.8%). Cirrhosis was seen in almost all patients (92.8%). The most common causes of HCC in this study were chronic hepatitis B (49.6%) and C (19.2%). Based on Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer staging, 75.4% presented at intermediate or late stage. Patients receiving curative therapy with either surgical treatment or radiofrequency ablation had significantly longer survival time after the HCC diagnosis than the palliative therapy group (11.0 months vs 4.0 months, p value= 0.004). The mean survival time after the HCC diagnosis was 10.5 months. Conclusions: The common causes of HCC in central region of Thailand were chronic hepatitis B and C. Surgical therapy or RFA seemed to provide better outcomes than other treatments but only in patients with early stage lesions. Most of the patients in this study presented with advanced diseases and had grave prognosis. Appropriate screening patients at risk for HCC might be an appropriate way to achieve early diagnosis and improve the treatment outcome.
Hepatocellular carcinoma;cirrhosis;chronic hepatitis B;Central Thailand
- Yang HI, Lu SN, Liaw YF, You SL, Sun CA, Wang LY, Hsiao CK, Chen PJ, Chen DS, Chen CJ (2002). Hepatitis B eantigen and the risk of hepatocellular carcinoma. N Engl J Med, 347, 168-74. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa013215
- Singa AG, Nehra M, Adams-Huet B, et al (2013). Detection of hepatocellular carcinoma at advanced stages among patients in the HALT-C trial: where did surveillance fail? Am J Gastroenterol, 108, 425-32. https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2012.449
- Sithinamsuwan P, Piratvisuth T, Tanomkiat W, Apakupakul N, Tongyoo S (2000). Review of 336 patients with hepatocellular carcinoma at Songklanagarind Hospital. World J Gastroenterol, 6, 339-43.
- Wiangnon S, Kamsa-ard S, Suwanrungruang K, et al (2012). Trends in incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma, 1990-2009, Khon Kaen, Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1065-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.1065
- Yeo Y, Gwack J, Kang S, et al (2013). Viral hepatitis and liver cancer in Korea: an epidemiological perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6227-31. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6227
- Forner A, Llovet JM, Bruix J (2012). Hepatocellular carcinoma. Lancet, 379, 1245-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61347-0
- Bruix J, Sherman M (2005). Management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatol, 42, 1208-36 https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.20933
- de Lope CR, Tremosini S, Forner A, Reig M, Bruix J (2012). Management of HCC. J Hepatol, 56, 75-87.
- El-Serag HB (2011). Hepatocellular carcinoma. N Engl J Med, 365, 1118-27. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1001683
- Keyvan H, Fazlalipour M, Monavari SH, Mollaie HR (2012). Hepatitis C virus-proteins, diagnosis, treatment and new approaches for vaccine development. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5931-49.
- Liang T, Chen EQ, Tang H (2013). Hepatitis B virus gene mutations and hepatocarcinogenesis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4509-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4509
- Llovet JM, Bru C, Bruix J (1999). Prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma: the BCLC staging classification. Semin Liver Dis, 19, 329-38. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-1007122
- Marrero JA, Fontana RJ, Barrat A, et al (2005). Prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma: comparison of 7 staging systems in an American cohort. Hepatology, 41, 707-16. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.20636
- Norsa'adah B, Nurhazalini-Zayani CG (2013). Epidemiology and survival of hepatocellular carcinoma in north-east Peninsular Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6955-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6955
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Pourhoseingholi MA , Fazeli Z, Zali MR, Alavian SM (2010). Burden of hepatocellular carcinoma in Iran; Bayesian projection and trend analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 859-62.
- Alazawi W, Cunningham M, Dearden J, Foster GR (2010). Systematic review: outcome of compensated cirrhosis due to chronic hepatitis C infection. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 32, 344-55. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2010.04370.x
- Belghiti J, Fuks D (2012). Liver resection and transplantation in hepatocellular carcinoma. Liver Cancer, 1, 71-82. https://doi.org/10.1159/000342403
- Bruix J, Sherman M (2011). Management of hepatocellular carcinoma: an update. Hepatology, 53, 1020-2. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.24199
- Cecropin Suppresses Human Hepatocellular Carcinoma BEL-7402 Cell Growth and Survival in vivo without Side-Toxicity vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5433
- Economic Evaluation and Budget Impact Analysis of the Surveillance Program for Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Thai Chronic Hepatitis B Patients vol.15, pp.20, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8993
- Retrospective Evaluation of Discrepancies between Radiological and Pathological Size of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Masses vol.15, pp.21, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9487
- Characteristics of Liver Cancer at Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital in Phnom Penh, Cambodia vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.35
- Hep88 mAb-Mediated Paraptosis-Like Apoptosis in HepG2 Cells via Downstream Upregulation and Activation of Caspase-3, Caspase-8 and Caspase-9 vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1771
- Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) and Significant Hepatic Fibrosis Defined by Non-invasive Assessment in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1789
- Preparation and Characterization of Anti-GP73 Monoclonal Antibodies and Development of Double-antibody Sandwich ELISA vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.2043
- CYP2C19 Genotype Could be a Predictive Factor for Aggressive Manifestations of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Related with Chronic Hepatitis B Infection in Thailand vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3253
- Estimating the Impact of Expanding Treatment Coverage and Allocation Strategies for Chronic Hepatitis C in a Direct Antiviral Agent Era vol.11, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0163095
- Association of PINX1 but not TEP1 Polymorphisms with Progression to Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Thai Patients with Chronic Hepatitis B Virus Infection vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2019
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma in a Tertiary Referral Hospital in Indonesia: Lack of Improvement of One-Year Survival Rates between 1998-1999 and 2013-2014 vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2165
- Epidemiology and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma in Thailand pp.1465-3621, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyw197
- The antibacterial peptide from Bombyx mori cecropinXJ induced growth arrest and apoptosis in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells vol.12, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.4601