- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Prognostic Value of Pretreatment Serum Alkaline Phosphatase in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma
- Xie, Ying (Guangxi Key Laboratory for High-incidence Tumor Prevention and Treatment, Experimental Center of Medical Science of Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Wei, Zheng-Bo (Department of Head and Neck Tumor Surgery, Affiliated Tumor Hospital of Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Duan, Xu-Wei (Department of Head and Neck Tumor Surgery, Affiliated Tumor Hospital of Guangxi Medical University)
- 발행 : 2014.04.30
Background: The prognostic value of serum alkaline phosphatase (S-ALP) has not been fully validated for nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC). Materials and Methods: S-ALP levels were measured in 601 patients newly diagnosed with NPC before radical treatment, and possible associations of these levels with 5-year overall survival (OS) and tumor-free survival (TFS) were explored using univariate and multivariate analyses. Results: Elevated pretreatment S-ALP (>85 U/L) was significantly less frequent among patients classified as T1+2 or stage I+II than among those classified as T3+4 or stage III+IV. Multivariate analysis showed that elevated pretreatment S-ALP (>85 U/L), age, T classification and N stage were independent predictors of poor OS and TFS. Conclusions: Pretreatment S-ALP may be a reliable biomarker to evaluate the long-term prognosis of patients with NPC.
- Van Hoof VO, Van Oosterom AT, Lepoutre LG, De Broe ME (1992). Alkaline phosphatase isoenzyme patterns in malignant disease. Clin Chem, 38, 2546-51.
- Tang LL, Li WF, Chen L, et al (2010). Prognostic value and staging categories of anatomic masticator space involvement in nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a study of 924 cases with MR imaging. Radiology, 257, 151-7. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.10100033
- Teo PM, Chan AT (2002). Treatment strategy and clinical experience. Semin Cancer Biol, 12, 497-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1044579X02000925
- Turan S, Topcu B, Gokce I, et al (2011). Serum alkaline phosphatase levels in healthy children and evaluation of alkaline phosphatase z-scores in different types of rickets. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol, 3, 7-11. https://doi.org/10.4274/jcrpe.v3i1.02
- Wan XB, Wei L, Li H, et al (2013). High pretreatment serum lactate dehydrogenase level correlates with disease relapse and predicts an inferior outcome in locally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Eur J Cancer, 49, 2356-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2013.03.008
- Wei JS, Chung NC, Wei LL, et al (1993). High-molecular-mass alkaline phosphatase as a tumor marker for colorectal cancer:comparison of two test methods. Clin Chem, 39, 540-3.
- Wei ZB, Zeng XJ, Xu J, et al (2014). Prognostic value of pretreatment serum levels of lactate dehydrogenase in nonmetastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma: single-site analysis of 601 patients in a highly endemic area. Onco Targets Ther, 7, 739-49
- Wildeman MA, Fles R, Adham M, et al (2012). Short-term effect of different teaching methods on nasopharyngeal carcinoma for general practitioners in Jakarta, Indonesia. PLoS One, 7, 32756. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0032756
- Yu MC, Yuan JM (2002). Epidemiology of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Semin Cancer Biol, 12, 421-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1044579X02000858
- Ma J, Wen ZS, Lin P, et al (2010). The results and prognosis of different treatment modalities for solitary metastatic lung tumor from nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a retrospective study of 105 cases. Chin J Cancer, 29, 787-95. https://doi.org/10.5732/cjc.010.10098
- Limdi JK, Hyde GM (2003). Evaluation of abnormal liver function tests. Postgrad Med J, 79, 307-12. https://doi.org/10.1136/pmj.79.932.307
- Lorente JA., Valenzuela H, Morote J, Gelabert A (1999). Serum bone alkaline phosphatase levels enhance the clinical utility of prostate specific antigen in the staging of newly diagnosed prostate cancer patients. Eur J Nucl Med, 26, 625-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002590050430
- Ma BB, Leungm SF, Hui EP, et al (2004). Prospective validation of serum CYFRA 21-1, beta-2-microglobulin, and ferritin levels as prognostic markers in patients with nonmetastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma undergoing radiotherapy. Cancer, 101, 776-81. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20430
- Mazumdar M, Glassman JR (2000). Categorizing a prognostic variable: review of methods, code for easy implementation and applications to decision-making about cancer treatments. Stat Med, 19, 113-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(20000115)19:1<113::AID-SIM245>3.0.CO;2-O
- Qin HD, Shugart YY, Bei JX, et al (2011). Comprehensive pathway-based association study of DNA repair gene variants and the risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Res, 71, 3000-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-10-0469
- Saif MW, Alexander D, Wicox CM (2005). Serum Alkaline Phosphatase Level as a Prognostic Tool in Colorectal Cancer: A Study of 105 patients. J Appl Res, 5, 88-95.
- Sonpavde G, Pond G R, Berry WR, et al (2012). Serum alkaline phosphatase changes predict survival independent of PSA changes in men with castration-resistant prostate cancer and bone metastasis receiving chemotherapy. Urol Oncol, 30, 607-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2010.07.002
- Sripanidkulchai B, Areejitnusorn P, Sriamporn S, et al (2004). Serum gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase and alkaline phosphatase of people in Khon Kaen, the northeastern Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 5, 54-7.
- Crivellari D, Price K N, Hagen M, et al (1995). Routine tests during follow-up of patients after primary treatment for operable breast cancer. International (Ludwig) Breast Cancer Study Group (IBCSG). Ann Oncol, 6, 769-76.
- Bacci G, Longhi A, Ferrari S, et al (2002). Prognostic significance of serum alkaline phosphatase in osteosarcoma of the extremity treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy: recent experience at Rizzoli Institute. Oncol Rep, 9, 171-5.
- Chen H, Luo YL, Zhang L, et al (2013). EA-D p45-IgG as a potential biomarker for nasopharyngeal carcinoma diagnosis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7433-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7433
- Cheng SH, Tsai SY, Horng CF, et al (2006). A prognostic scoring system for locoregional control in nasopharyngeal carcinoma following conformal radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 66, 992-1003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2006.06.006
- Fandi A., Bachouchi M, Azli N, et al (2000). Long-term diseasefree survivors in metastatic undifferentiated carcinoma of nasopharyngeal type. J Clin Oncol, 18, 1324-30.
- Fei ZH, Yao CY, Yang, XL, et al (2013). Serum BMP-2 upregulation as an indicator of poor survival in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5293-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5293
- Han J, Yong B, Luo C, et al (2012). High serum alkaline phosphatase cooperating with MMP-9 predicts metastasis and poor prognosis in patients with primary osteosarcoma in Southern China. World J Surg Oncol, 10, 37. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-10-37
- Huncharek M, Kupelnick B (2002). Combined chemoradiation versus radiation therapy alone in locally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma: results of a meta-analysis of 1, 528 patients from six randomized trials. Am J Clin Oncol, 25, 219-23. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000421-200206000-00002
- Li G, Gao J, Tao YL, et al (2012). Increased pretreatment levels of serum LDH and ALP as poor prognostic factors for nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Chin J Cancer, 31, 197-206. https://doi.org/10.5732/cjc.011.10283
- Aminian A, Karimian F, Mirsharifi R, et al (2011). Correlation of serum alkaline phosphatase with clinicopathological characteristics of patients with oesophageal cancer. East Mediterr Health J, 17, 862-6.
- Akimoto S, Furuya Y, Akakura K, Ito H (1998). Comparison of markers of bone formation and resorption in prostate cancer patients to predict bone metastasis. Endocr J, 45, 97-104. https://doi.org/10.1507/endocrj.45.97
- Al-Batran S, Wirtz R, Pauligk C, et al (2008). Association of elevated matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) mRNA expression levels with resistance to chemotherapy and survival in patients with metastatic gastric cancer receiving first-line chemotherapy: results from the FLO versus FLP gastric cancer phase III trial of the AIO. J Clin Oncol (Meeting Abstract), 4544.
- Altman DG, Lausen B, Sauerbrei W, Schumacher M (1994). Dangers of using “optimal” cutpoints in the evaluation of prognostic factors. J Natl Cancer Inst, 86, 829-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/86.11.829
- Au JS, Law CK, Foo W, Lau WH (2003). In-depth evaluation of the AJCC/UICC 1997 staging system of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: prognostic homogeneity and proposed refinements. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 56, 413-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(02)04610-2
- Prognostic Model Built on Blood-based Biomarkers in Patients with Metastatic Colorectal Cancer vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7327
- Value of the prognostic nutritional index and weight loss in predicting metastasis and long-term mortality in nasopharyngeal carcinoma vol.13, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12967-015-0729-0
- Model Based on Alkaline Phosphatase and Gamma-Glutamyltransferase for Gallbladder Cancer Prognosis vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6255
- RASSF1A Gene Methylation is Associated with Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Risk in Chinese vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2283
- Exploring the diagnosis markers for gallbladder cancer based on clinical data vol.9, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11684-015-0402-2
- The predictive value of alkaline phosphatase and lactate dehydrogenase for overall survival in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma vol.37, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-3851-y