- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Clinicopathologic Features and Prognosis of Osteosarcoma in Turkish Adults
- Seker, Mehmet Metin (Medical Oncolgy Department, Medical Faculty, Cumhuriyet University) ;
- Seker, Ayse (Public Health Directorate) ;
- Aksoy, Sercan (Department of Medical Oncology, Cancer Institute, Hacettepe University) ;
- Ozdemir, Nuriye (Department of Medical Oncology, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Uncu, Dogan (Department of Medical Oncology, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital) ;
- Zengin, Nurullah (Department of Medical Oncology, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital)
- Published : 2014.04.30
Background: Osteosarcomas are the most common solid malignancies of bone. In the last two decades there have been no concrete developments in their systemic treatment. In this trial we aimed to present our osteosarcoma patient clinical and demographic outcomes. Materials and Methods: Patients treated and followed up for osteosarcoma in Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital from 2002 to 2012 were reviewed retrospectively. Results: A total of 21 patients (15 male, 6 female) were diagnosed with osteosarcoma. The disease was located at extremities in 76% and in 14% was metastatic at the time of diagnosis. Median disease free survival (DFS) was 36 months in non-metastatic patients and median progression free survival (PFS) was 2 months in metastatic patients (p<0.0001). Median overall survival (OS) was 80 months and 4 months, respectively (p=0.012). There were no survival differences in terms of presentation with pathological fracture, tumor size, tumor grade, alkaline phosphatase and lactate dehydrogenase level and type of chemotherapy regimen. Conclusions: Tumor site and stages are the most important prognostic factors for osteosarcoma. Extremity primary tumors have beter survival rates than non-extremity tumors. As a result of the use of effective chemotherapy the long term survival rates have improved from 10-20% to 60-70% in the last decades but we need more active agents, especially for metastatic cases.
- Anninga JK, Gelderblom H, Fiocco M, et al (2011). Chemotherapeutic adjuvant treatment for osteosarcoma:where do we stand? Eur J Cancer, 47, 2431-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2011.05.030
- Arikan M, Metin E, Gungor S, et al (2007). Osteosarkomda Cerrahi Tedavi Sonuçlarımız. Acta Oncologica Turcica, 40, 23-6.
- Arslan HS, Aydin O, Dervisoglu S, et al (2011). Low-grade osteosarcoma, review of 15 cases in a series of 156 osteosarcoma cases. Turk Patoloji Derg, 27, 138-43.
- Bielack S, Jurgens H, Jundt G, et al (2009). Osteosarcoma: the COSS experience. Cancer Treat Res, 152, 289-308. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-0284-9_15
- Bielack SS, Kempf-Bielack B, Delling G, et al (2002). Prognostic factors in high-grade osteosarcoma of the extremities or trunk: an analysis of 1,702 patients treated on neoadjuvant cooperative osteosarcoma study group protocols. J Clin Oncol, 20, 776-90. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.20.3.776
- Clark JC, Dass CR, Choong PF (2008). A review of clinical and molecular prognostic factors in osteosarcoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 134, 281-97. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-007-0330-x
- Diao CY, Guo HB, Ouyang YR, et al (2014). Screening for metastatic osteosarcoma biomarkers with a DNA microarray. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1817-22. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1817
- Eilber F, Giuliano A Eckardt J, et al (1987). Adjuvant chemotherapy for osteosarcoma: a randomized prospective trial. J Clin Oncol, 5, 21-6.
- He ML, Wu Y, Zhao JM, Wang Z, Chen YB (2013). PIK3CA and AKT gene polymorphisms in susceptibility to osteosarcoma in a Chinese population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5117-22. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5117
- Kager LA, Zoubek A, Potscheger U, et al (2003). Primary metastatic osteosarcoma: presentation and outcome of patients treated on neoadjuvant Cooperative Osteosarcoma Study Group protocols. J Clin Oncol, 21, 2011-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.08.132
- Kawai A, Huvos AG, Meyers PA, Healey JH (1998). Osteosarcoma of the pelvis. Oncologic results of 40 patients. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 348, 196-207.
- Kudawara I, Aoki Y, Ueda T, et al (2013). Neoadjuvant and adjuvant chemotherapy with high-dose ifosfamide, doxorubicin, cisplatin and high-dose methotrexate in nonmetastatic osteosarcoma of the extremities: a phase II trial in Japan. J Chemother, 25, 41-8. https://doi.org/10.1179/1973947812Y.0000000055
- Meyers PA, Heller G, Healey JH, et al (1993). Osteogenic sarcoma with clinically detectable metastasis at initial presentation. J Clin Oncol, 11, 449-53.
- Mialou V, Philip T, Kalifa C, et al (2005). Metastatic osteosarcoma at diagnosis: prognostic factors and longterm outcome-the French pediatric experience. Cancer, 104, 1100-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21263
- Ozaki T, Flege S, Liljengvist U, et al (2002). Osteosarcoma of the spine: experience of the Cooperative Osteosarcoma Study Group. Cancer, 94, 1069-77. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.10258
- Qureshi A, Ahmad Z, Azam M, Idrees R (2010). Epidemiological data for common bone sarcomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 393-5.
- Ritter J, Bielack SS (2010). Osteosarcoma. Ann Oncol, 21, 320-5.
- Sampo M, Koivikko M, Taskinen M, et al (2011). Incidence, epidemiology and treatment results of osteosarcoma in Finland - a nationwide population-based study. Acta Oncol, 50, 1206-14. https://doi.org/10.3109/0284186X.2011.615339
- Scully SP, Ghert MA, Zurakowski D, Thompson RC, Gebhardt MC (2002). Pathologic fracture in osteosarcoma : prognostic importance and treatment implications. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 84, 49-57.
- Shives TC, Dahlin DC, Sim FH, Pritchard DJ, Earle JD (1986). Osteosarcoma of the spine. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 68, 660-8.
- Stiller CA, Bielack SS, Jundt G, Steliarova-Foucher E (2006). Bone tumours in European children and adolescents, 1978-1997. Report from the Automated Childhood Cancer Information System project. Eur J Cancer, 42, 2124-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2006.05.015
- Xie L, Guo W, Li Y, Ji T, Sun X (2012). Pathologic fracture does not influence local recurrence and survival in high-grade extremity osteosarcoma with adequate surgical margins. J Surg Oncol, 106, 820-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.23150
- Gemcitabine for the Treatment of Patients with Osteosarcoma vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7159
- Prevalence of Metastasis at Diagnosis of Osteosarcoma: An International Comparison vol.63, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.25963
- Comparison of clinical features, management and outcomes of osteosarcoma located in proximal fibula and proximal tibia: a propensity score matching analysis vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-018-5062-6