- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Symptom Frequency of Children with Cancer and Parent Quality of Life in Turkey
- Kudubes, Asli Akdeniz (Department of Oncology Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Bektas, Murat (Department of Pediatric Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Ugur, Ozlem (Department of Oncology Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University)
- Published : 2014.04.30
Background: This research was planned with the aim of determining the effect of symptom frequency of children with cancer on the quality of life of their parents. Materials and Methods: In gathering the research data, the Child and Parent Information Form, the Symptom Evaluation Form and the Family Version of Life Quality Scale in Cancer Patients were used. Evaluation was made by using percentage calculations, Kruskal Wallis test, Bonferroni adjusted t-test and Bonferroni adjusted Mann-Whitney U test. The significance level was accepted as 0.005. Results: Some 37.6% of the participant children were female and 62.4% were male, with an average age of
- Varni JW, Seid M, Kurtin PS (2001). The PedsQL 4.0 reliability and validity of the pediatric quality of life inventory version 4.0 generic core scale in healty and patient populations. Med Care, 39, 800-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-200108000-00006
- Woodgate RL, Degner LF (2003). Expectations and beliefs about children’s cancer symptoms: perspectives of children with cancer and their families. Oncol Nurs Forum, 30, 479-91. https://doi.org/10.1188/03.ONF.479-491
- Woodgate RL, Degner LF, Yanofsky R (2003). A different perspective to approaching cancer symptoms in children. J Pain Symptom Manage, 26, 800-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(03)00285-9
- World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer (2008). World cancer report 2008. http://www.iarc.fr/en/publications/pdfs-online/wcr/2008/wcr_2008.pdf. Accessed March 19, 2014.
- Varni JW, Burwinkle TM, Katz ER, et al (2002). The PedsQL in pediatric cancer: reliability and validity of the pediatric quality of life inventory generic core scales, multidimensional fatigue scale, and cancer module. Cancer, 94, 2090-106. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.10428
- Vegian LH, Lubin JH, Anderson H, et al (2012). A pooled analysis of thyroid cancer incidence fallowing radiotherapy for childhood cancer. Radiat Res, 178, 365-76. https://doi.org/10.1667/RR2889.1
- Yakar HK, Pinar R (2013). Reliability and validity of Turkish version of the caregiver quality of life index cancer scale. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4415-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4415
- Mystakidou K, Tsilika E, Parpa E, Galanos A, Vlahos L (2007). Caregivers of advanced cancer patients: feelings of hopelessness and depression. Cancer Nurs, 30, 412-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCC.0000290807.84076.73
- Kitrungrote L, Cohen MZ (2006). Quality of life of family caregivers of patients with cancer: a literature review. Oncol Nurs Forum, 33, 625-32. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.ONF.625-632
- Lambert SD, Girgis A, Lecathelinais C, Stacey F (2012). Walking a mile in their shoes: anxiety and depression among partners and caregivers of cancer survivors at 6 and 12 months postdiagnosis. Support Care Cancer, 12, 1495-7.
- Langer SL, Rudd ME, Syrjala KL (2007). Protective buffering and emotional desynchrony among spousal caregivers of cancer patients. Health Psychology, 26, 635-43. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6220.127.116.115
- Okcin F, Karadakovan A (2012). Realibility and validity of the quality of life-family version (qol-fv) in Turkish family caregivers of patients with cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4235-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4235
- Simmons LA (2007). Self-perceived Burden in Cancer Patients: validation of the Self-perceived Burden Scale. Cancer Nurs, 30, 405-11. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCC.0000290816.37442.af
- Stein KD, Denniston M, Baker F, et al (2003). Validation of modified Rotterdam symptom checklist for use with cancer patients in the united states. J Pain Symptom Manage, 26, 975-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(03)00321-X
- Tanir MK, Kuguoglu S (2011). Turkish validity and reliability of a pediatric quality of life cancer module for children aged 8-12 and parents. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 125-30.
- Turkoglu N, Kilic D (2012). Effects of care burdens of caregivers of cancer patients on their quality of life. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4141-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.4141
- Whitsett SF, Gudmundsdottir M, Davies B, McCarthy P, Friedman D (2008). Chemotherapy-related fatigue in childhood cancer: correlates, consequences, and coping strategies. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs, 25, 86-96. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043454208315546
- Grov EK, Dahl AA, Moum T, Fossa SD (2005). Anxiety, depression and quality of life in caregivers of patients with cancer in late palliative phase. Ann Oncol, 16, 1185-91. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdi210
- Gaugler JE, Eppinger A, King J, Sandberg T, Regine WF (2012). Coping and its effect on cancer caregiving. Support Care Cancer, 21, 385-95.
- Gibson F, Garnett M, Richardson A, Edwards J, Sepion B (2005). Heavy to carry: a survey of parents’ and healthcare professionals’ perceptions of cancer-related fatigue in children and young people. Cancer Nurs, 28, 27-35. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200501000-00004
- Given B, Given C, Sirkorskii A, et al (2006). The impact of providing symptom management assistance on caregiver reaction: results of a randomized trial. J Pain Symptom Manage, 32, 433-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2006.05.019
- Han HR (2003). Korean mothers’ psychosocial adjustment to their children’s cancer. J Adv Nurs, 44, 499-506. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0309-2402.2003.02833.x
- Harris JN, Hay J, Kuniyuki A, et al (2010). Using a family systems approach to investigate cancer risk communication within melanoma families. Psycho-Oncology, 19, 1102-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1667
- Hassett MJ (2010). The full burden of cancer. Oncologist, 15, 793-5. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2010-0211
- Hedstrom M, Haglund K, Skolin I, Von Essen L (2003). Distressing events for children and adolescents with cancer:child, parent, and nurse perceptions. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs, 20, 120-32. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpon.2003.76
- Hoekstra-Weebers JE, Jaspers JP, Kamps WA, Klip EC (2001). Psychological adaptation and social support of parents of pediatric cancer patients: a prospective longitudinal study. J Pediatr Psychol, 26, 225-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/26.4.225
- Karasuya RT, Poglar B, Takeuchi R (2000). Caregiver burden and burnout. Postgraduate Medicine, 108, 119-23.
- Bessel A (2001). Children surviving cancer: psychosocial adjustment, quality of life, and school experiences. Exceptional Children, 67, 345.
- American Cancer Society (2013). Cancer Facts&Figures-2013. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-036845.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2014.
- Arslan FT, Basbakkal Z, Kantar M (2013). Quality of life and chemotherapy-related symptoms of Turkish cancer children undergoing chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1761-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1761
- Bergkvist K, Wengstrom Y (2006). Symptom experiences during chemotherapy treatment-with focus on nausea and vomiting. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 10, 21-9.
- Bevans MF, Sternberg EM (2012). Caregiver burden, stress, and health effects among family caregivers of adult cancer patients. JAMA, 307, 398-403.
- Carter PA (2005). Bereaved caregivers’ descriptions of sleep:impact on daily life and the bereavement process. Oncol Nurs Forum, 32, 741.
- Collins JJ, Byrnes ME, Dunkel IJ (2000). The measurement of symptoms in children with cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage, 19, 363-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(00)00127-5
- Demirbag BC, Kurtuncu M, Guven H (2013). Knowledge of Turkish mothers with children in the 0-13 age group about cancer symptoms. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1031-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.1031
- Dumont S, Turgeon J, Allard P, et al (2006). Caring for a loved one with advanced cancer: determinants of psychological distress in family caregivers. J Palliat Med, 9, 912-21. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2006.9.912
- Emir S (2009). Childhood cancers and how we can protect our children against cancer. Pediatrics Bulletin, 6, 2-8.
- Gaugler J, Hanna N, Linder J, et al (2005). Cancer caregiving and subjective stress: a multi-site, multidimensional analysis. Psychooncology, 14, 771-85. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.916
- Developing a Scale for the Assessment of Fatigue in Pediatric Oncology Patients Aged 7-12 for Children and Parents vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10199
- Developing a Scale for Quality of Life in Pediatric Oncology Patients Aged 7-12 - Children and Parent Forms vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.523
- The effect of symptom frequency on the fatigue and sleep quality of adolescent cancer patients vol.46, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/02739615.2016.1227936