- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Clinical Efficacy of Bevacizumab Concomitant with Pemetrexed in Patients with Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer
- Zhang, Yu-Mei (The Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Li, Yong-Qiang (The Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Liu, Zhi-Hui (The Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Liao, Xiao-Li (The Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Liang, Rong (The Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Lin, Yan (The Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Yuan, Chun-Ling (The Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Liao, Si-Na (The Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Liang, Chao-Yong (The Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Li, Qian (The Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University) ;
- Li, Le-Qun (The Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University)
- Published : 2014.04.30
Objective: To observe the clinical efficacy of bevacizumab concomitant with pemetrexed in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Materials and Methods: A total of 72 patients were randomly divided into a combination group (pemetrexed+bevacizumab, n=36) and a pemetrexed group (n=36) and assessed for disease control (CR+PR+SD) after 4-cycles of first-line GP chemotherapy (gemcitabine+cisplatin). Clinical efficacy, progression-free survival time (PFS), overall survival time (OS), overall response rate (ORR), disease control rate (DCR) and rate of adverse responses between two groups were observed and compared. Results: ORR and DCR were 27.8% and 83.4% in combination group, and 16.7% and 69.5% in the pemetrexed group, respectively, but there were no significant differences (P>0.05). PFS in combination group and pemetrexed group were 4.6 months and 3.9 months respectively (P=0.09), whereas OS in the combination group was 14 months, evidently higher than in the pemetrexed group (11 months, P=0.004). Adverse responses in both groups included high blood pressure, bleeding, thrombocytopenia, anemia, elevated transaminase, diarrhea, vomiting and proteinuria, but there were no significant differences (P>0.05). Conclusions: Bevacizumab concomitant with pemetrexed has better clinical efficacy and safety, giving rise to prolonged survival time in patients with advanced NSCLC.
- Stevenson JP, Langer CJ, Somer RA, et al (2012). Phase 2 trial of maintenance bevacizumab alone after bevacizumab plus pemetrexed and carboplatin in advanced, nonsquamous nonsmall cell lung cancer. Cancer, 118, 5580-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.27576
- Sandomenico C, Costanzo R, Carillio G, et al (2012). Bevacizumab in non small cell lung cancer: development, current status and issues. Curr Med Chem, 19, 961-71. https://doi.org/10.2174/092986712799320673
- Smith NR, Baker D, Farren M, et al (2013). Tumor stromal architecture can define the intrinsic tumor response to VEGFtargeted therapy. Clin Cancer Res, 19, 6943-56. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-13-1637
- Tai CJ, Pan CK, Chen CS, et al (2013). Adjuvant trastuzumab for 6 months is effective in patients with HER2-positive stage II or III breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1981-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1981
- Tsai CM, Au JS, Chang GC, et al (2011). Safety and efficacy of first line bevacizumab with chemotherapy in asian patients with advanced nonsquamous NSCLC results from the phase IV MO19390 (SAiL) Study. J Thorac Oncol, 6, 1092-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e318216687d
- Wu XY, Liu J, Wang L, et al (2014). The likelihood of pemetrexed in treating patients with advanced colorectal cancer. Int J Med Res Clin Oncol, 1, 1-5.
- Ugur O, Elcigil A, Arslan D, et al (2014). Responsibilities and difficulties of caregivers of cancer patients in home care. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 725-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.725
- Zhang G, Xie X, Liu T, et al (2013). Effects of pemetrexed, gefitinib, and their combination on human colorectal cancer cells. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 72, 767-75. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-013-2251-5
- Karayama M, Inui N, Kuroishi S, et al (2013). Maintenance therapy with pemetrexed versus docetaxel after induction therapy with carboplatin and pemetrexed in chemotherapynaïve patients with advanced non-squamous non-smallcell lung cancer: a randomized, phase II study. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 2, 445-52.
- Gentzler RD, Yentz SE, Patel JD (2013). Bevacizumab in advanced NSCLC: chemotherapy partners and duration of use. Curr Treat Options Oncol, 14, 595-609. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11864-013-0255-3
- Gerber DE, Schiller JH (2013). Maintenance chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: new life for an old idea. J Clin Oncol, 31, 1009-20. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2012.43.7459
- Huang XE, Wu XY, Liu J, et al (2014). Systemic treatment regarding characteristic remedies for cancer patients in China. Int J Med Res Clin Oncol, 1, 21-5.
- Kawaharada Y, Lmai K, Minamiya Y, et al (2012). A case of complete resection of non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer after induction chemotherapy using carboplatin, paclitaxel, and bevacizumab. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, 39, 1533-7.
- Kentepozidis N, Kotsakis A, Soultati A, et al (2013). Docetaxel plus cisplatin and bevacizumab for untreated patients with advanced/metastatic non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer: a multicenter phase II study of the Hellenic Oncology Research Group. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 71, 605-12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-012-2037-1
- Liu AJ, Zong H, Yang GZ, et al (2012). Significance of oligoclonal bands after stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma cases. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1483-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1483
- Lopez-Chavez A, Young T, Fages S, et al (2012). Bevacizumab maintenance in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer, clinical patterns, and outcomes in the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group 4599 Study: results of an exploratory analysis. J Thorac Oncol, 7, 1707-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e318265b500
- Chen LK, Liang Y, Yang QY, et al (2012). Triplet platinum-based combination sequential chemotherapy improves survival outcome and quality of life of advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1863-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1863
- Akkuzu G (2012). Quality of life of women undergoing chemotherapy for a gynaecological oncological disease in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1277-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1277
- Alimujiang S, Zhang T, Han ZG, et al (2013). Epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor versus placebo as maintenance therapy for advanced non- small-cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2413-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2413
- Brattstorm D, Bergqvist M, Hesselius P, et a1 (2004). Serum VEGF and bFGF adds prognostic information in patients with normal platelet counts when sample before, during and after treatment for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 43, 55-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2003.07.007
- Chien CR, Shih YC (2012). Economic evaluation of bevacizumab in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Clinicoecon Outcomes Res, 4, 201-8.
- Ciuleanu T, Brodowicz T, Zielinski C, et al (2009). Maintenance pemetrexed plus best supportive care versus placebo plus best supportive care for non-small-cell lung cancer: A randomised, double-blind, phase 3 study. Lancet, 374, 1432-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61497-5
- Davis M, Conlon K, Bohac GC, et al (2012). Effect of pemetrexed on innate immune killer cells and adaptive immune T cells in subjects with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. J Immunother. 35, 629-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/CJI.0b013e31826c8a4f
- Deng QQ, Huang XE, Ye LH, et al (2013). Phase II trial of Loubo(R) (Lobaplatin) and pemetrexed for patients with metastatic breast cancernot responding to anthracycline or taxanes. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 413-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.413
- XELOX Plus Bevacizumab vs. FOLFIRI Plus Bevacizumab Treatment for First-line Chemotherapy in Metastatic Colon Cancer: a Retrospective Study of the Anatolian Society of Medical Oncology vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10375