- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Predictive Factors for Neutropenia after Docetaxel-Based Systemic Chemotherapy in Korean Patients with Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Kwon, Whi-An (Department of Urology, Wonkwang University School of Medicine, Institute of Wonkwang Medical Science) ;
- Oh, Tae Hoon (Department of Urology, Wonkwang University School of Medicine, Institute of Wonkwang Medical Science) ;
- Lee, Jae Whan (Department of Urology, Wonkwang University School of Medicine, Institute of Wonkwang Medical Science) ;
- Park, Seung Chol (Department of Urology, Wonkwang University School of Medicine, Institute of Wonkwang Medical Science)
- Published : 2014.04.30
The aim of this study was to determine predictive factors for neutropenia after docetaxel-based systemic chemotherapy in patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC). The study included 40 Korean CRPC patients who were treated with several cycles of docetaxel plus prednisolone from May 2005 to May 2012. Patients were evaluated for neutropenia risk factors and for the incidence of neutropenia. In this study, nine out of forty patients (22.5%) developed neutropenia during the first cycle of docetaxel-based systemic chemotherapy. Four experienced grade 2, three grade 3, and one grade 4 neutropenia. Multivariate analysis showed that pretreatment white blood cell (WBC) count (p=0.042), pretreatment neutrophil count (p=0.015), pretreatment serum creatinine level (p=0.027), and pretreatment serum albumin level (p=0.017) were significant predictive factors for neutropenia. In conclusion, pretreatment WBC counts, neutrophil counts, serum creatinine levels, and serum albumin levels proved to be significant independent risk factors for the development of neutropenia induced by docetaxel-based systemic chemotherapy in patients with CRPC.
Supported by : Wonkwang University
- Aapro MS, Cameron DA, Pettengell R, et al (2006). EORTC guidelines for the use of granulocyte-colony stimulating factor to reduce the incidence of chemotherapy-induced febrile neutropenia in adult patients with lymphomas and solid tumours. Eur J Cancer, 42, 2433-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2006.05.002
- Bodey GP, Buckley M, Sathe YS, Freireich EJ (1966). Quantitative relationships between circulating leukocytes and infection in patients with acute leukemia. Ann Intern Med, 64, 328-40. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-64-2-328
- Crawford J, Dale DC, Kuderer NM, et al (2008). Risk and timing of neutropenic events in adult cancer patients receiving chemotherapy: the results of a prospective nationwide study of oncology practice. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 6, 109-18.
- Crawford J, Dale DC, Lyman GH (2004). Chemotherapy-induced neutropenia: risks, consequences, and new directions for its management. Cancer, 100, 228-37. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11882
- Dreyfuss AI, Clark JR, Norris CM, et al (1996). Docetaxel: an active drug for squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. J Clin Oncol, 14, 1672-8.
- Fossella FV, DeVore R, Kerr RN, et al (2000). Randomized phase III trial of docetaxel versus vinorelbine or ifosfamide in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-containing chemotherapy regimens. The TAX 320 non-small cell lung cancer study group. J Clin Oncol, 18, 2354-62.
- George DJ, Kantoff PW, Lin DW (2011). Clinical roundtable monograph: new and emerging treatments for advanced prostate cancer. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol, 9, 1-11.
- Italiano A, Ortholan C, Oudard S, et al (2009). Docetaxel-based chemotherapy in elderly patients (age 75 and older) with castration-resistant prostate cancer. Eur Urol, 55, 1368-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2008.07.078
- Jenkins P, Scaife J, Freeman S (2012). Validation of a predictive model that identifies patients at high risk of developing febrile neutropaenia following chemotherapy for breast cancer. Ann Oncol, 23, 1766-71. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr493
- Lalami Y, Paesmans M, Aoun M, et al (2004). A prospective randomised evaluation of G-CSF or G-CSF plus oral antibiotics in chemotherapy-treated patients at high risk of developing febrile neutropenia. Support Care Cancer, 12, 725-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-004-0658-6
- Lee JL, Kim JE, Ahn JH, et al (2010). Efficacy and safety of docetaxel plus prednisolone chemotherapy for metastatic hormone-refractory prostate adenocarcinoma: single institutional study in Korea. Cancer Res Treat, 42, 12-7. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2010.42.1.12
- Lyman GH, Dale DC, Crawford J (2003). Incidence and predictors of low dose-intensity in adjuvant breast cancer chemotherapy: a nationwide study of community practices. J Clin Oncol, 21, 4524-31. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.05.002
- Lyman GH, Delgado DJ (2003). Risk and timing of hospitalization for febrile neutropenia in patients receiving CHOP, CHOP-R, or CNOP chemotherapy for intermediate-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Cancer, 98, 2402-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11827
- Matsuyama H, Shimabukuro T, Hara I, et al (2013). Combination of hemoglobin, alkaline phosphatase, and age predicts optimal docetaxel regimen for patients with castrationresistant prostate cancer. Int J Clin Oncol (Epub ahead of print)
- Millward MJ, Boyer MJ, Lehnert M, et al (2003). Docetaxel and carboplatin is an active regimen in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase II study in Caucasian and Asian patients. Ann Oncol, 14, 449-54. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdg118
- National Cancer Institute N (2006). Common terminology criteria for adverse events v3.0. Available at http://www.eortc.be/services/doc/ctc/ctcaev3.pdf.
- Park SC, Lee JW, Seo IY, Rim JS (2013). Predictive factors for premature discontinuation of docetaxel-based systemic chemotherapy in men with castration-resistant prostate cancer. Korean J Urol, 54, 157-62. https://doi.org/10.4111/kju.2013.54.3.157
- Rivera E, Haim Erder M, Fridman M, et al (2003). Firstcycle absolute neutrophil count can be used to improve chemotherapy-dose delivery and reduce the risk of febrile neutropenia in patients receiving adjuvant therapy: a validation study. Breast Cancer Res, 5, R114-20. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr618
- Sato I, Nakaya N, Shimasaki T, et al (2012). Prediction of docetaxel monotherapy-induced neutropenia based on the monocyte percentage. Oncol Lett, 3, 860-4.
- Savvides P, Terrin N, Erban J, Selker HP (2003). Development and validation of a patient-specific predictive instrument for the need for dose reduction in chemotherapy for breast cancer: a potential decision aid for the use of myeloid growth factors. Support Care Cancer, 11, 313-20.
- Silber JH, Fridman M, DiPaola RS, et al (1998). First-cycle blood counts and subsequent neutropenia, dose reduction, or delay in early-stage breast cancer therapy. J Clin Oncol, 16, 2392-400.
- Sjostrom J, Blomqvist C, Mouridsen H, et al (1999). Docetaxel compared with sequential methotrexate and 5-fluorouracil in patients with advanced breast cancer after anthracycline failure: a randomised phase III study with crossover on progression by the scandinavian breast group. Eur J Cancer, 35, 1194-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(99)00122-7
- Smith TJ, Khatcheressian J, Lyman GH, et al (2006). 2006 update of recommendations for the use of white blood cell growth factors: an evidence-based clinical practice guideline. J Clin Oncol, 24, 3187-205. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.06.4451
- Sulkes A, Smyth J, Sessa C, et al (1994). Docetaxel (Taxotere) in advanced gastric cancer: results of a phase II clinical trial. EORTC early clinical trials group. Br J Cancer, 70, 380-3. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1994.310
- Tannock IF, de Wit R, Berry WR, et al (2004). Docetaxel plus prednisone or mitoxantrone plus prednisone for advanced prostate cancer. N Engl J Med, 351, 1502-12. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa040720
- Timmer-Bonte JN, de Boo TM, Smit HJ, et al (2005). Prevention of chemotherapy-induced febrile neutropenia by prophylactic antibiotics plus or minus granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in small-cell lung cancer: a dutch randomized phase III Study. J Clin Oncol, 23, 7974-84. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.00.7955
- Vasey PA (2003). Role of docetaxel in the treatment of newly diagnosed advanced ovarian cancer. J Clin Oncol, 21, 136-44. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.02.051
- Vogel CL, Wojtukiewicz MZ, Carroll RR, et al (2005). First and subsequent cycle use of pegfilgrastim prevents febrile neutropenia in patients with breast cancer: a multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase III study. J Clin Oncol, 23, 1178-84. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.09.102
- Yasufuku T, Shigemura K, Tanaka K, et al (2013). Risk factors for refractory febrile neutropenia in urological chemotherapy. J Infect Chemother, 19, 211-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10156-012-0478-4
- Delivering siRNA and Chemotherapeutic Molecules Across BBB and BTB for Intracranial Glioblastoma Therapy vol.14, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.molpharmaceut.6b00819
- genotype vol.46, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/apt.14323
- Prognostic Value of Chemotherapy-Induced Neutropenia at the First Cycle in Invasive Breast Cancer vol.95, pp.13, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000003240
- Body composition as a predictor of toxicity after treatment with eribulin for advanced soft tissue sarcoma pp.1437-7772, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10147-018-1370-8