- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Role of Vitamin D Deficiency and Lack of Sun Exposure in the Incidence of Premenopausal Breast Cancer: a Case Control Study in Sabzevar, Iran
- Bidgoli, Sepideh Arbabi (Department of Toxicology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Islamic Azad University, Pharmaceutical Sciences Branch (IAUPS)) ;
- Azarshab, Hamid (Department of Toxicology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Islamic Azad University, Pharmaceutical Sciences Branch (IAUPS))
- Published : 2014.04.30
Background: Vitamin D has been suggested as one of the critical factors for female reproductive health with protective activities against different cancers but there are conflicting facts regarding its role on breast cancer without any clear data on premenopausal cases. This study aimed to evaluate the role of vitamin D from dietary sources and sunlight exposure on the incidence of premenopausal breast cancer. Materials and Methods: We conducted a case control study on 60 newly diagnosed premenopausal breast cancer patients and 116 normal women who lived in Sabzevar and surrounding villages in Razavi, Khorasan, a rural and conservative area of Iran. Results: The mean concentrations of 25-OH vitamin D in cases and controls were
Premenopausal breast cancer;vitamin D;risk factors;sun exposure;rural Iran
- Huang QQ, Liao YY, Ye XH, Fu JJ, Chen SD (2014). Association between VDR polymorphisms and breast cancer: an updated and comparative meta-analysis of crude and adjusted Odd Ratios. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 847-53. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.847
- Wu SH, Ho SC, So E, et al (2013). Sunlight exposure and breast density: a population-based study. J Breast Cancer, 16, 171-7. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2013.16.2.171
- Yao S, Sucheston LE, Millen AE, Johnson CS, et al (2011). Pretreatment serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and breast cancer prognostic characteristics: a case-control and a case-series study. PLoS One, 6, 17251. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0017251
- Zhang S,Qin C, Safe SH (2003). Flavonoids as aryl hydrocarbon receptor agonists/antagonists: effects of structure and cell context. Environ Health Perspect, 111, 1877-82. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.6322
- Garland FC, Garland CF, Gorham ED, Young JF (1990). Geographic variation in breast cancer mortality in the united states: a hypothesis involving exposure to solar radiation. Prev Med, 19, 614-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-7435(90)90058-R
- Harirchi I, Kolahdoozan S, Karbakhsh M, et al (2011).Twenty years of breast cancer in Iran: downstaging without a formal screening program. Ann Oncol, 22, 93-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq303
- Laporta E, Welsh J (2013). Modeling vitamin D actions in triple negative/basal-like breast cancer. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. S0960-760, 00215-X.
- Looker AC, Pfeiffer CM, Lacher DA, et al (2008). Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status of the US population: 1988-1994 compared with 2000-2004. Am J Clin Nutr, 88, 1519-27. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2008.26182
- Mohammadi S, Sulaiman S, Koon PB, Amani R, Hosseini SM (2013). Impact of healthy eating practices and physical activity on quality of life among breast cancer survivors. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14, 481-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.481
- Naddafi K, Hassanvand MS, Yunesian M, et al (2012). Health impact assessment of air pollution in megacity of Tehran, Iran. Iranian J Enviro Health Sci Eng, 9, 28. https://doi.org/10.1186/1735-2746-9-28
- Prentice RL, Anderson GL (2008). The women’s health initiative:lessons learned. Annu Rev Public Health, 29, 131-50. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.29.020907.090947
- Shao T, Klein P, Grossbard ML (2012). Vitamin D and Breast Cancer. Oncologist, 17, 36-45. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2011-0278
- Wortsman J, Matsuoka LY, Chen TC, Lu Z, Holick MF (2000). Decreased bioavailability of vitamin D in obesity. Am J Clin Nutr, 72, 690-3.
- Bidgoli SA ,Ahmadi R, Zavarhei MD (2010). Role of hormonal and environmental factors on early incidence of breast cancer in Iran. Sci Total Environ, 408, 4056-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2010.05.018
- Alco G, Igdem S, Dincer M, et al (2014). Vitamin D levels in patients with breast cancer: importance of dressing style. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1357-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1357
- Alipour S, Hadji M, Hosseini L, et al (2014). Levels of serum 25-hydroxy-Vitamin D in benign and malignant breast masses. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 129-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.129
- Anderson BO, Jakesz R (2008). Breast cancer issues in developing countries: an overview of the breast health global initiative. World J Surg, 32, 2578-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-007-9454-z
- Bidgoli SA, Eftekhari T, Sadeghipour R (2011). Role of xenoestrogens and endogenous sources of estrogens on the occurrence of premenopausal breast cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2425-30.
- Bidgoli SA, Khorasani H, Keihan H, Sadeghipour A, Mehdizadeh A (2012). Role of endocrine disrupting chemicals in the occurrence of benign uterine leiomyomata: special emphasis on AhR tissue levels. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5445-50. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5445
- Du Y, Hu L, Kong F, Pan Y (2013). Lack of association between vitamin D receptor gene BsmI polymorphism and breast cancer risk: an updated meta-analysis involving 23, 020 subjects. Tumour Biol, 35, 2087-93.
- Engel LS, Satagopan J, Sima CS et al (2014). Sun exposure, vitamin d receptor genetic variants, and risk of breast cancer in the agricultural health study. Environ Health Perspect, 122, 165-71.
- Risk Factors for Breast Cancer in Iranian Women: A Hospital-Based Case-Control Study in Tabriz, Iran vol.17, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2014.17.3.236
- Roles of Kermanshahi Oil, Animal Fat, Dietary and Non-Dietary Vitamin D and other Nutrients in Increased Risk of Premenopausal Breast Cancer: A Case Control Study in Kermanshah, Iran vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7473
- Serum 25-OH Vitamin D Level in Psoriatic Patients and Comparison With Control Subjects vol.20, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/1203475415622207
- Role of Menopause and Early Menarche in Breast Cancer: A Meta-Analysis of Iranian Studies vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5812/nmsjournal.37712
- The Level of Testosterone, Vitamin D, and Irregular Menstruation More Important than Omega-3 in Non-Symptomatic Women Will Define the Fate of Multiple Scleroses in Future pp.1559-1182, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12035-016-0325-1
- Vitamin D and Breast Cancer: Latest Evidence and Future Steps vol.11, pp.1178-2234, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1178223417749816
- Healthy Eating Index 2010 and Breast Cancer Risk pp.1532-7914, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2018.1490781
- Vitamin D exposure and Risk of Breast Cancer: a meta-analysis vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-27297-1