- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Breast Cancer: Major Risk Factors and Recent Developments in Treatment
- Majeed, Wafa (Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Veterinary Science, University of Agriculture) ;
- Aslam, Bilal (Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Veterinary Science, University of Agriculture) ;
- Javed, Ijaz (Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Veterinary Science, University of Agriculture) ;
- Khaliq, Tanweer (Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Veterinary Science, University of Agriculture) ;
- Muhammad, Faqir (Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Veterinary Science, University of Agriculture) ;
- Ali, Asghar (Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Veterinary Science, University of Agriculture) ;
- Raza, Ahmad (Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Veterinary Science, University of Agriculture)
- Published : 2014.04.30
Breast cancer is the most common in women worldwide, with some 5-10% of all cases due to inherited mutations of BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes. Obesity, hormone therapy and use of alcohol are possible causes and over-expression of leptin in adipose tissue may also play a role. Normally surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy allow a good prognosis where screening measures are in place. New hope in treatment measures include adjuvant therapy, neoadjuvant therapy, and introduction of mono-clonal antibodies and enzyme inhibitors.
- Ward C, Langdon SP, Mullen P, et al (2013). New strategies for targeting the hypoxic tumour microenvironment in breast cancer. Cancer Treatment Rev, 39, 171-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2012.08.004
- Soliman H (2013). Immunotherapy strategies in the treatment of breast cancer. Cancer Control, 20, 17-21.
- Tina K, Fabno (2012). The effects of soy consumption on breast cancer prognosis. J Nat Med, 4, 1-5.
- Vogel VG, Costantino JP, Wickerham DL, et al (2006). Effects of tamoxifen vs raloxifene on the risk of developing invasive breast cancer and other disease outcomes: the NSABP Study of Tamoxifen and Raloxifene (STAR) P-2 trial. JAMA, 295, 2727-41. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.23.joc60074
- Wilson KA, Waugh A (2006). Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness. Edinburgh, Churchill Livingstone pp 53-4.
- Yu-Ting G, Qin-Yu H, Wang N (2011). Monoclonal antibodies in cancer therapy. Clin Oncol Cancer Res, 8, 215-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11805-011-0583-7
- Zhang LL, Wu J, Liu Q, et al (2014). MiR-886-5p inhibition inhibits growth and induces apoptosis of MCF-7 cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1511-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1511
- Natalia B, Sonja H, Thilo D (2013). Hereditary breast cancer:ever more pieces to the polygenic puzzle. Hered Cancer Clin Pract, 11, 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1897-4287-11-12
- Hurvitz SA, Hu Y, O’Brien N, Finn RS (2013). Current approaches and future directions in the treatment of HER2-positive breast cancer. Current Treat Rev, 39, 219-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2012.04.008
- Louisa M, Soediro TM, Suyatna FD (2014). In vitro modulation of P-glycoprotein, MRP-1 and BCRP expression by Mangiferin in doxorubicin-treated MCF-7 Cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1639-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1639
- Mouridsen H, Gershanovich M, Sun Y, et al (2003). Phase III study of letrozole versus tamoxifen as first-line therapy of advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women: analysis of survival and update of efficacy from the international letrozole breast cancer group. J Clin Oncol, 21, 2101-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.04.194
- Paliwal SR, Paliwal R, Pal HC, et al (2012). Estrogen-anchored pH-sensitive liposomes as nanomodule designed for sitespecific delivery of doxorubicin in breast cancer therapy. Mol Pharm, 9, 176-86. https://doi.org/10.1021/mp200439z
- Regan MM, Neven P, Giobbie-Hurder A, et al (2011). Assessment of letrozole and tamoxifen alone and in sequence for postmenopausal women with steroid hormone receptorpositive breast cancer: the BIG 1-98 randomised clinical trial at 8.1 years median follow-up. Lancet Oncol, 12, 1101-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70270-4
Rengarajan T, Nandakumar N, Rajendran P, et al (2014). D-Pinitol promotes apoptosis in MCF-7 cells via induction of p53 and Bax and inhibition of Bcl-2 and NF-
$\kappa$B. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1757-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1757
- Rita N (2012). New developments in the treatment of HER2-positive breast cancer. Breast Cancer, 4, 53-64.
- Rody A, Holtrich U, Pusztai L, et al (2009). T-cell metagene predicts a favorable prognosis in estrogen receptor-negative and HER2-positive breast cancers. Breast Cancer Res, 11, 15.
- Dunnwald LK, Rossing MA, Li CI (2007). Hormone receptor status, tumor characteristics, and prognosis: a prospective cohort of breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res, 9, 6.
- Cuzick J, Sestak I, Baum M, et al (2010). Effect of anastrozole and tamoxifen as adjuvant treatment for early-stage breast cancer: 10-year analysis of the ATAC trial. Lancet Oncol, 11, 1135-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(10)70257-6
- Dassie JP, Giangrande PH (2013). Current progress on aptamertargeted oligonucleotide therapeutics. Ther Deliv, 4, 1527-46. https://doi.org/10.4155/tde.13.118
- Davies C, Godwin J, Gray R, et al (2011). Relevance of breast cancer hormone receptors and other factors to the efficacy of adjuvant tamoxifen: patient-level meta-analysis of randomised trials. Lancet, 378, 771-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60993-8
- Emens LA, Jaffee EM (2005). Leveraging the activity of therapeutic cancer vaccines with cytotoxic chemotherapy. Cancer Res, 65, 8059-64. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-1797
- Erdogan B, Cicin I (2014). Medical treatment of breast cancer bone metastasis: from bisphosphonates to targeted drugs. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1503-10. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1503
- Friedman LM, Rinon A, Schechter B, et al (2005). Synergistic down-regulation of receptor tyrosine kinases by combinations of mAbs: implications for cancer immunotherapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 102, 1915-20. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0409610102
- Gong DD, Man CF, Xu J, Fan Y (2014). Fulvestrant 250mg versus anastrozole 1mg in the treatment of advanced breast cancer: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2095-100. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2095
- Howell A, Pippen J, Elledge RM, et al (2005). Fulvestrant versus anastrozole for the treatment of advanced breast carcinoma:a prospectively planned combined survival analysis of two multicenter trials. Cancer, 104, 236-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21163
- Capelan M, Pugliano L, De Azambuja E, et al (2012). Pertuzumab: new hope for patients with HER2-positive breast cancer. Ann Oncol, 24, 273-82.
- Brandao RD, Veeck J, Van de Vijver KK, et al (2013). A randomised controlled phase II trial of pre-operative celecoxib treatment reveals anti-tumour transcriptional response in primary breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res, 15, 1-10.
- Brittany W, Rossman J (2013). Efficacy and Safety Study of NeuVax (TM) (Nelipepimut-S or E75) vaccine to prevent breast cancer recurrence, Clinical Trial, National Cancer Institute.
- Burstein HJ, Griggs JJ (2010). Adjuvant hormonal therapy for early-stage breast cancer. Surg Oncol Clin N Am, 19, 639-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soc.2010.03.006
- Chia YH, Ellis MJ, Ma CX (2010). Neoadjuvant endocrine therapy in primary breast cancer: indications and use as a research tool. Br J Cancer, 103, 759-64. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605845
- Cortes J, Curigliano G, Dieras V (2014). Expert perspectives on biosimilar monoclonal antibodies in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 144, 233-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-014-2879-9
- Al-Mubarak M, Sacher AG, Ocana A, et al (2013). Fulvestrant for advanced breast cancer: a meta-analysis. Cancer Treat Rev, 39, 753-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2013.03.004
- Ascierto ML, Kmieciak M, Idowu MO, et al (2012). A signature of immune function genes associated with recurrence-free survival in breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 131, 871-80. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-011-1470-x
- Bot A, Marincola F, Smith KA (2013). Repositioning therapeutic cancer vaccines in the dawning era of potent immune interventions. Expert Rev Vaccines, 12, 1219-34. https://doi.org/10.1586/14760584.2013.836908
- Effect of Beta Glucan on White Blood Cell Counts and Serum Levels of IL-4 and IL-12 in Women with Breast Cancer Undergoing Chemotherapy: A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5733
- Gender Differences in Marital Disruption among Patients with Cancer: Results from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6547
- Breast Cancer in Tunisia: Association of Body Mass Index with Histopathological Aspects of Tumors vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6805
- A Novel Model for Smart Breast Cancer Detection in Thermogram Images vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10573
- Targeted Resequencing of 30 Genes Improves the Detection of Deleterious Mutations in South Indian Women with Breast and/or Ovarian Cancers vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5211
- Passive Smoking and Breast Cancer - a Suspicious Link vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5715
- Denosumab - a Monoclonal Antibody, not a Radionuclide vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.2103
- Expression of DDR1 and DVL1 in Invasive Ductal and Lobular Breast Carcinoma does not Correlate with Histological Type, Grade and Hormone Receptor Status vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2385
- Utility of Peripheral Blood Parameters in Predicting Breast Cancer Risk vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2409
- Innovation Status of Gene Therapy for Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.4133
- In vitro antiproliferative and apoptosis-inducing properties of a mononuclear copper(II) complex with dppz ligand, in two genotypically different breast cancer cell lines vol.28, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10534-015-9877-1
- The human chemokine receptor CCRL2 suppresses chemotaxis and invasion by blocking CCL2-induced phosphorylation of p38 MAPK in human breast cancer cells vol.32, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-015-0696-6
- Epidemiology of breast cancer: retrospective study in the Central African Republic vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-016-3863-6
- HER-2 Positive Breast Cancer - a Mini-Review vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.1609
- Rural Women's Awareness about Breast Cancer in Southeastern Iran: a Cross-Sectional Study vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.1875
- Exploration Through the Venoms from Hymenoptera as Potential Therapeutic Agents in Cancer Therapy vol.13, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/ijp.2017.507.515
- TNF-α sensitizes chemotherapy and radiotherapy against breast cancer cells vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12935-017-0382-1
- The Role of Nitrosamine (NNK) in Breast Cancer Carcinogenesis vol.22, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10911-017-9381-z
- The prognostic value of pretreatment neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in breast cancer: Deleterious or advantageous? vol.39, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1010428317706214
- The cytotoxicity effects of a novel Cu complex on MCF-7 human breast cancerous cells vol.31, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10534-018-0079-5
- Possible role of stress, coping strategies, and life style in the development of breast cancer vol.53, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0091217417749789
- Effect of resveratrol on doxorubicin resistance in breast neoplasm cells by modulating PI3K/Akt signaling pathway vol.70, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/iub.1749
- KDM1A microenvironment, its oncogenic potential, and therapeutic significance vol.11, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13072-018-0203-3
- Breast cancer risk associated with genes encoding DNA repair MRN complex: a study from Punjab, Pakistan vol.25, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-018-0837-9
- Bag-1 silencing enhanced chemotherapeutic drug-induced apoptosis in MCF-7 breast cancer cells affecting PI3K/Akt/mTOR and MAPK signaling pathways pp.1573-4978, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-018-4540-x