- Volume 54 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Trends in antimicrobial sales for livestock and fisheries in Korea during 2003-2012
국내 가축 및 수산에서 항생제 판매 추이(2003-2012)
- Lim, Suk-Kyung (Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Lee, Jeong-Eun (Korea Animal Health Products Association) ;
- Lee, Hye-Sook (Korea Animal Health Products Association) ;
- Nam, Hyang-Mi (Korea Animal Health Products Association) ;
- Moon, Dong-Chan (Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Jang, Geum-Chan (Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Park, Yeon-Ju (Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Jung, Yun-Gu (Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Jung, Suk-Chan (Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Wee, Sung-Hwan (Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency)
- 임숙경 (농림축산검역본부) ;
- 이정은 ((사)한국동물약품협회) ;
- 이혜숙 ((사)한국동물약품협회) ;
- 남향미 ((사)한국동물약품협회) ;
- 문동찬 (농림축산검역본부) ;
- 장금찬 (농림축산검역본부) ;
- 박연주 (농림축산검역본부) ;
- 정윤구 (농림축산검역본부) ;
- 정석찬 (농림축산검역본부) ;
- 위성환 (농림축산검역본부)
- Received : 2014.01.06
- Accepted : 2014.04.09
- Published : 2014.06.30
In this study, trends in the sales of antimicrobials for use in livestock facilities and fisheries from 2003 to 2012 were investigated with regard to antimicrobial group, antimicrobial usage, and animal species. The overall amount of antimicrobials sold each year from 2003 to 2007 was 1,500 tons, after which they decreased, with the lowest sales being 936 tons in 2012. The total volume of antimicrobials used for feed additives decreased markedly by 94% from 2003 to 2012, which was mainly attributed to banning of feed additives. However, antimicrobial consumption through self prescription by farmers for disease prevention and treatment increased by 25% from 2003 to 2012. The largest volume of antimicrobials sold was for use in pigs (48~57%), followed by poultry (18~24%), fisheries (11~25%), and cattle (5~8%). Tetracycline was the highest selling antimicrobial, followed by penicillins and sulfonamides, although the overall sale of all three antimicrobials gradually decreased over the study period. This study demonstrated that the total consumption of antimicrobials has gradually decreased since 2008. Nevertheless, usage by nonprofessionals increased, which can ultimately cause emergence and spread of antimicrobial resistance. Thus, early establishment of veterinary prescription guidelines for prudent use of antimicrobials is urgently needed in Korea.
Supported by : 농림축산검역본부
- Aarestrup FM. Association between the consumption of antimicrobial agents in animal husbandry and the occurrence of resistant bacteria among food animals. Int J Antimicrob Agents 1999, 12, 279-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-8579(99)90059-6
- QIA. Establishment of antimicrobial resistance surveillance system for livestock 2011. pp. 15-27, Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency, 2012.
- CLSI. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing; Twenty-Third Informational Supplement. CLSI document M100-S23. pp. 190-195, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, 2013.
- DANMAP 2012. Use of antimicrobial agents and occurrence of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria from food animals, foods and humans in Denmark. pp. 25-36, Copenhagen, ISSN 1600-2032.
- Grave K, Jensen VF, McEwen S, Kruse H. Monitoring of antimicrogial drug usage in animals: methods and applications. pp. 375-396, ASM press, Washington DC, 2006.
- Grave K, Jensen VF, Odensvik K, Wierup M, Bangen M. Usage of veterinary therapeutic antimicrobials in Denmark, Norway and Sweden following termination of antimicrobial growth promoter use. Prev Vet Med 2006, 75, 123-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prevetmed.2006.02.003
- Grave K, Torren-Edo J, Mackay D. Comparison of the sales of veterinary antibacterial agents between 10 European countries. J Antimicrob Chemother 2010, 65, 2037-2040. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkq247
- Ha JI, Hong KS, Song SW, Jung SC, Min YS, Shin HC, Lee GO, Lim KJ, Park JM. Survey of antimicrobial agents used in livestock and fishes. Korean J Vet Public Health 2003, 27, 205-217.
- Harada K, Asai T. Role of antimicrobial selective pressure and secondary factors on antimicrobial resistance prevalence in Escherichia coli from food-producing animals in Japan. J Biomed Biotechnol 2010, Epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1155/2010/180682. https://doi.org/10.1155/2010/180682
- Jensen VF, Jacobsen E, Bager F. Veterinary antimicrobialusage statistics based on standardized measures of dosage. Prev Vet Med 2004, 64, 201-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prevetmed.2004.04.001
- KOSTAT. Livestock Statistics Survey 1983/4-2014/1. Statistics Korea, Seoul, 2014.
- Nicholls T, Acar J, Anthony F, Franklin A, Gupta R, Tamura Y, Thompson S, Threlfall EJ, Vose D, van Vuuren M, White DG, Wegener HC, Costarrica ML. Antimicrobial resistance: monitoring the quantities of antimicrobials used in animal husbandry. Rev Sci Tech 2001, 20, 841-847. https://doi.org/10.20506/rst.20.3.1317
- NORM/NORM-VET 2011. Usage of Antimicrobial Agents and Occurrence of Antimicrobial Resistance in Norway. pp. 15-20, Tromso/Oslo, ISSN 1502-2307 (print) / 1890-9965 (electronic).
- Silley P, Simjee S, Schwarz S. Surveillance and monitoring of antimicrobial resistance and antibiotic consumption in humans and animals. Rev Sci Tech 2012, 31, 105-120. https://doi.org/10.20506/rst.31.1.2100
- Stege H, Bager F, Jacobsen E, Thougaard A. VETSTAT-the Danish system for surveillance of the veterinary use of drugs for production animals. Prev Vet Med 2003, 57, 105-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-5877(02)00233-7
- SWEDRES/SVARM 2012. Use of antimicrobials and occurrence of antimicrobial resistance in Sweden. pp. 37-40, Solna/Uppsala, ISSN 1650-6332.
- World Health Organization. Joint FAO/OIE/WHO Expert Workshop on Non-Human Antimicrobial Usage and Antimicrobial Resistance: Scientific assessment. pp. 10-14, WHO, Geneva, 2003.
- World Health Organization. Critically Important Antimicrobials for Human Medicine. 3rd rev. pp. 10-14, WHO, Geneva, 2011.
- Macrolide resistance mechanisms and virulence factors in erythromycin-resistant Campylobacter species isolated from chicken and swine feces and carcasses vol.78, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.16-0307
- High-Level Ciprofloxacin-ResistantCampylobacter jejuniIsolates Circulating in Humans and Animals in Incheon, Republic of Korea vol.63, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/zph.12262
- Antimicrobial Resistance and Distribution of Virulence Factors of Vibrio parahaemolyticus Isolated from Shellfish Farms on the Southern Coast of Korea vol.49, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0460
- Incidence, Antimicrobial Resistance, and Molecular Characteristics of Nontyphoidal Salmonella Including Extended-Spectrum β-Lactamase Producers in Retail Chicken Meat vol.78, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-15-145
- Characterization ofEscherichia coli–Producing Extended-Spectrum β-Lactamase (ESBL) Isolated from Chicken Slaughterhouses in South Korea vol.12, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1089/fpd.2014.1921
- Prevalence and Mechanism of Fluoroquinolone Resistance in Escherichia coli Isolated from Swine Feces in Korea vol.80, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-16-502
- Determination of Veterinary Antibiotic Residues: IV. Comparable Analytical Methods with EPA Methods 1694_A Review vol.32, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2016.32.6.670
- Effect of microbial control measures on farmstead cheesemaking and antimicrobial resistance of Staphylococcus aureus and Enterococcus spp. isolates 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfs.12432
- Isolates from Chicken Meat in Korea pp.1931-8448, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1089/mdr.2018.0019