- Volume 8 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Correlation between Cognition, Depression and Leisure Activity of Elderly People
65세 이상 노인의 인지기능, 우울 및 여가활동 간의 관련성
- Lee, Jin-Wook ;
- Lim, Gang-Hyun ;
- Kim, Ha-Rin ;
- Bang, You-Kyung ;
- Lee, Ji-Young ;
- Cho, Mi-Lim ;
- Kim, Deok-Ju ;
- Yang, Yeong-Ae
- Received : 2013.11.08
- Accepted : 2014.02.07
- Published : 2014.03.30
The purpose of this study is to analyze the correlation between cognition, depression and leisure activity in elderly people above 65 years of age, and to improve their health and quality of life by providing baseline data for occupational therapy intervention. This investigation was performed on 118 elderly people above 65 years of age who lived in local community and two senior welfare centers. In order to collect the data, we used MMSE-K, KDS, Questionnaire for leisure activity. The depression of elderly people was negatively correlated with their cognition(p<.01) and leisure activity(p<.001), whereas cognition was positively correlated with their leisure activity(p<.01). In conclusion, the correlation between cognition, depression and leisure activity of elderly people appeared statistically significant. Therefore, leisure activity program should be designed through additional research and effectively provided in nursing home and community senior welfare center to prevent depression increase and cognitive decline.
Elderly Person;Cognition;Depression;Leisure Activity
- D.B. Kim, E.S. Sohn(2005), A meta-analysis of the variables related to depression in elderly, J Korean Gerontol Social, Vol.25(4);167-187.
- S.H. Park, B.D. Hwang(2013), The Effect of Their Sense of Depression and Suicidal Thinking for Managerial Characteristics in Hypertense and Diabetic Patients, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol.7(4);221-232. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.4.221
- O.S. Kim, S.J. Yang, J.H. Kim, N.Y. Kim, H.O. Jeon(2007), Leisure Activities, Cognitive Function and Depression in Female Elderly, Korean Jounal of Adult Nursing, Vol.19(3);436-446.
- J.S. Hur, S.H. Yoo(2002), Determinants of depression among elderly persons, Mental Health Social Work, Vol.1(3);7-35.
- Y.C. Chiu, C.Y. Huang, A.M. Kolanowski, H.L. Huang, Y.L. Shyu, S.H. Lee, C.R. Lin, W.C. Hsu(2013), The effects of participation in leisure activities on neuropsychiatric symptoms of persons with cognitive impairment: A cross-sectional study, International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol.50(4);3-20.
- J.C. Sieverdes, B.M. Ray, X. Sui, D.C. Lee, G.A. Hand, M. Baruth, S.N. Blair(2012), Association between Leisure Time Physical Activity and Depressive Symptoms in Men, MEDICINE & SCIENCE IN SPORTS & EXERCISE, Vol.32(9);498-516.
- H.X. Wang, W. Xu, J.J. Pei(2011), Leisure activities, cognition and dementia. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, Vol.18(22);482-491.
- H.S. Kim, S.J. Yu, G.R. Han(2002), The Relation of Cognitive Function, Physical Health, Self-esteem, Social Support and Depression of Elderly Women in the Community, Korean Gerontological Nursing Society, Vol.4(2);163-175.
- F. Jonathan(2000), The Effect of Leisure Activity on Depression in the Elderly, Journal of the Korea Occupational Therapy in Health Care, Vol.13(1);45-51.
- O.B. Jung, D.B. Kim, S.H. Jung, H.H. Son(2008), Theory of elderly welfare, Hakjisa, pp.42-46.
- P.J Chung, C.J Chiou, F.H Chou(2009), Relationships between health status depression and cognitive functions of institutionalized male veterans, Journal of Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Vol.4(4);215-219.
- S.G. Min(2002), Modern Psychiatry, Ilchokak, pp.32-38.
- J.R. Yun(2000), Cognitive dysfunction and death rate in community dwelling elderly, Web Health Research, Vol.3(5);6-14.
- W.S. Jang(2008), The Effect of Group Validation Therapy on Cognition, ADL(Activity of Daily Living) Depression Problematic Behavior and Quality of Life in the elderly with Dementia, Unpublished doctorial dissertation, Catholic University, pp.1-146.
- I.H. Gwak(2007), study on use style and satisfaction for welfare facilities and physical Activity program in Elderly people, Unpublished master's thesis, Konkuk University, pp.1-55.
- E.S. Yang(2011), The effects of factors related to th elderly's leisure activities on their depression and happiness, Unpublished master's thesis, Chongju University, pp.1-68.
- E.Y. Jeon, S.Y. Kim, K.B. Kim(2005), Analysis of depression and health status in Korean-American elderly, Journal of J Korean Gerontol Nurs, Vol.7(2);157-165.
- M.A. Kim, H.S. Kim, E.J. Kim(2005). Cognitive function and depression in elderly. J Korean Gerontol Nurs, Vol.7(2);176-184.
- Y.C. Gwon, J.H. Park(1989), A Standardization research of Mini-Mental State Examination(MMSE-K), Journal of Neuropsychiatric, Vol.28(3);508-513.
- H.J. Kim(2004), Effect of Ruminative and reflective response style in depressive mood, Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeongsang National University, pp.1-34.
- K.R. Kim(2010), Health condition and leisure activity of workers, Unpublished master's thesis, Eulji University, pp.67.
- H.R. Kim(2013), Health-Related Quality of Life and Its Affecting Factors among the Aged in one Korean Community, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol.7(4);167-178. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.4.167
- J.H. Kim(2013), Study on the Feelings of Depression Adaptation to Society Satisfaction with Leisure and Satisfaction with Living Basing on Old Persons' Participation Traits in Leisure, Unpublished doctorial dissertation, Chonnam University, pp.1-158.
- http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/3/index .board?bmode=read&aSeq=308689
- ML. Wahlqvist, W. Lukito(1992), Nutrition in the Elderly, Journal of Geriatric Medicine, Vol.2(1);1-18.
- Effect on Cognitive Function in Elderly People vol.9, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2015.9.3.201
- Predictors of Cognitive Function Decline of Elderly : Using Living Conditions and Welfare Needs of Older Korean Persons Panel Data vol.10, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.3.147
- Effects of the Sex Education Program on Elders' Sex Perception and Life Satisfaction vol.8, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.3.181
- The effects of a combined physical activity, recreation, and art and craft program on ADL, cognition, and depression in the elderly vol.29, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.29.744
- Influence of Leisure Competence and Level of Leisure Activity on Life Satisfaction in Low-Income Older Adults in Rural South Korea vol.10, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3928/19404921-20170224-01
- Effects of IT Convergence-Contents on Occupational Performance in Elderly vol.9, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2015.9.2.033